Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread III (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
I wonder if Drouin is still on Avs list. Who knows, maybe he will not be too expensive to trade for. Drouin and MacK magic would be nice to see. I am not sure if Drouin is the type of player that Sakic likes or will maybe target in the future.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I wonder if Drouin is still on Avs list. Who knows, maybe he will not be too expensive to trade for. Drouin and MacK magic would be nice to see. I am not sure if Drouin is the type of player that Sakic likes or will maybe target in the future.

Prepare to be beaten for bringing this up. Nice try doing it in the Prospect thread tho.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Prepare to be beaten for bringing this up. Nice try doing it in the Prospect thread tho.

Ups, posted in the wrong thread :oops:. I guess we should just move on from Drouin. I know, most Avs fans have lost love for Drouin. Maybe some other team will take him.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I would do Drouin for Zadorov and a pick

*runs for cover

Habs are a small team. They need size and LHD, especially with some toughness. Zadorov is exactly the type of player and get the opportunity that is unlikely with the AVs. Sakic will move him rather than be lost in the Expansion Draft.

Zadorov

For

Drouin or Suzuki/2nd

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
That's a poor list. Kamenev is above Newhook and Makar is still a prospect.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
giphy.gif

Looks like Lindros vs Briere in a heritage game.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
If you include Makar (and I am not sure why you would not at this point), are there 9 teams with better prospect pools than the Avs as of today?

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
If you include Makar (and I am not sure why you would not at this point), are there 9 teams with better prospect pools than the Avs as of today?

If Makar is a prospect there's only one team in the league who even has an argument for being ahead of us IMO(NYR).

That's going to be a bad list if it has us at #10 and still includes Makar.

Oh, the ranking relative to the other teams prospect pools is far from the worst;
He has Annunen as our #4 prospect, Helleson not in the top 15 and had this to say about Ranta; "the Finnish national has phenomenal hockey sense" :huh:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

AVs Top 5: Makar, Byram, Newhook, Kaut & Bowers might be the best in the league. They should be enough for a Top 5 ranking. The only team that might be comparable is the NYR due their large number of drafted players.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
NHL Network did a rundown of the top ten prospect pipelines, and the Avs came in at #3 :eek2:

That one I actually liked. Their 31 article was pretty good, but not perfect. They completely recognized our goalie situation, but the hype train is going full steam. Everyone is excited about our defense and I get it, but they should probably not just complete gloss over how reliant we are on players who don't have a lot of experience.

It was a little off with having Kam so high, but I get not writing him off just yet. Usually those have way more eye roll moments and mistakes for me lol.

Oh, the ranking relative to the other teams prospect pools is far from the worst;
He has Annunen as our #4 prospect, Helleson not in the top 15 and had this to say about Ranta; "the Finnish national has phenomenal hockey sense" :huh:

That is hilarious

Reactions: Pokecheque

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Patagonia Any reports of Byram? Do you think he will make our roster this season? Stupid question, but I still wanted to ask it. Looks to me that Byram is already much better well rounded prospect then Makar was a few years ago.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Just one OHL prospect for Colorado in my annual review series.

OHL Prospects: 31 Teams in 31 Days - Colorado Avalanche
I saw Brandon Saigeon's season much differently, and upon speaking with many fans during intermissions in Hamilton and Oshawa, I haven't heard (or read) nearly as much criticism of his game or season. No offence, but the article lacks a lot of context, and even though his points per game average dropped, he was still among the top in Oshawa, including the Generals’ playoff scoring leader. I'm very familiar with Saigeon and have followed his OHL path and attended too many games to count since he was a rookie with the Belleville Bulls in 2014-15.

In Hamilton the big difference this season compared to the prior season was that Hamilton went through an entire overhaul after winning the OHL championship. Their 3 lines of lethal offence slimmed down to one top line, their top goalie graduated and they relied on a rookie, and they only had 2 returnee dmen (1 regular with playoff experience). They also started the season with a new head coach, who had to take a leave of absence for the remainder of the season due to health issues. This season the top line of Strome-Saigeon-Kaliyev was consistent and with major roster and coaching changes, Saigeon's points per game still increased to 1.58 points per game from 1.08 the year prior. Even just 40 games in Hamilton this season, he still finished third in Hamilton’s point standings, third in goals, and had the second most PP’s goals. Despite so many changes and a much younger and newer defence, the Bulldogs still ran one of the top PPs in the league.

Trade deadline rolled around and Oshawa acquired Brandon Saigeon, Anthony Salinitri, and Brett Neumann to bolster their forwards. The Gens also traded away their top forward (Jack Studnicka), which also affected chemistry.

While I only followed Oshawa closely after the trade deadline, I found that Oshawa’s style of coaching was very different, which is normal, but theirs was frustrating for a few reasons. I felt that they didn’t fully utilize players' strengths and therefore, missed on opportunities. Saigeon's shot and skating have always been among some of his best known assets. He finds ways to score from everywhere in a variety of ways, but particularly, would receive passes and score from the faceoff circle to the left facing opposing goalies on a regular basis. In Hamilton, that area was known as his office because it was so common. In Oshawa, he still wound up on the scoresheet on a regular basis but Oshawa’s coaching didn’t utilize his offensive abilities like Hamilton had. Oshawa’s line combinations were also very inconsistent in the regular season, which were often juggled right when it appeared that players would find some chemistry. It was strange and was a common frustration with many Generals season ticket holders. Of all of the line combinations, I would have liked to have seen Saigeon and Salinitri on the same line with a good playmaker but it never happened.

Let’s not portray a narrative that Saigeon was an offensive disappointment in Oshawa. It's not accurate. Yes, his points per game average declined after the trade. However, his regular season points per game average with Oshawa (1.04) was similar to his average in Hamilton last season (1.08) when Colorado drafted him. Overall he finished the 2018-19 regular season with 92 points in 68 games (1.35 points per game), which was the highest season total in Oshawa. Additionally, he lead the Generals in playoff points (16 points in 15 games), which is the most important time for players to step up. This is also a team that finished top 4 in the playoffs, and pulled off what many considered to be a huge upset against Niagara (4-2 series win), as many fans and media across the OHL predicted a quick series win for Niagara. While I agree that there were chemistry issues in the regular season, it was not as evident in the playoffs, and the lines were more consistent by then.

I didn’t see a change in Saigeon’s intensity from the time he was traded to Oshawa. He was still battling every game and generating offence. If anything, he would have had to work harder to maintain his spot in the line-up in Oshawa because of their depth on three lines. With Oshawa having much more depth than Hamilton, they had options to bump guys down the lineup. One part of Saigeon’s game that did decline in Oshawa was his shots on goal. I believe this happened for 2 reasons: (1) I think coming in to Oshawa he didn’t want to come in saying “pass me the puck, I’ll score the goals”. That’s not his demeanor. Coaches have wanted him to shoot more in the past, which John Gruden, the former coach from Hamilton’s championship team had mentioned in interviews a few times in the past. (2) Oshawa didn’t utilize him in a way where he could generate more goals. He still scored goals in Oshawa like we’d see in Hamilton, except we’d rarely see him get set-up for goals to the left of the goalie, which I noted above.

He’s not one of the most physical players on the ice, but he still hits, isn’t afraid to play along the boards, and certainly doesn’t shy from scrums. He has also had 1 or 2 fights each season, with the OHL’s 3 fight limit. Particularly in Oshawa on St. Patrick’s day versus Sudbury, Darian Pilon, a 20 year old veteran, was after Lleyton Moore, a rookie with the Oshawa Generals. Pilon is a few inches taller than Moore and about 20lbs heavier. Saigeon took exception to Pilon being a **** disturber and stepped up to fight Pilon instead.

A few good links I’d like to share for Colorado fans:
OHL stats: Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League - you can toggle seasons, teams, regular season/playoffs. If you click show/hide, click some columns to hide, and you’ll see more stats to the right for players. You can even switch from the “player” tab to “team” tab and view special teams stats.
Saigeon’s 2017-18 highlights: www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Y9sfmhYTE – if skating were a big issue, there’s no way some of those goals would have been scored.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I saw Brandon Saigeon's season much differently, and upon speaking with many fans during intermissions in Hamilton and Oshawa, I haven't heard (or read) nearly as much criticism of his game or season. No offence, but the article lacks a lot of context, and even though his points per game average dropped, he was still among the top in Oshawa, including the Generals’ playoff scoring leader. I'm very familiar with Saigeon and have followed his OHL path and attended too many games to count since he was a rookie with the Belleville Bulls in 2014-15.

In Hamilton the big difference this season compared to the prior season was that Hamilton went through an entire overhaul after winning the OHL championship. Their 3 lines of lethal offence slimmed down to one top line, their top goalie graduated and they relied on a rookie, and they only had 2 returnee dmen (1 regular with playoff experience). They also started the season with a new head coach, who had to take a leave of absence for the remainder of the season due to health issues. This season the top line of Strome-Saigeon-Kaliyev was consistent and with major roster and coaching changes, Saigeon's points per game still increased to 1.58 points per game from 1.08 the year prior. Even just 40 games in Hamilton this season, he still finished third in Hamilton’s point standings, third in goals, and had the second most PP’s goals. Despite so many changes and a much younger and newer defence, the Bulldogs still ran one of the top PPs in the league.

Trade deadline rolled around and Oshawa acquired Brandon Saigeon, Anthony Salinitri, and Brett Neumann to bolster their forwards. The Gens also traded away their top forward (Jack Studnicka), which also affected chemistry.

While I only followed Oshawa closely after the trade deadline, I found that Oshawa’s style of coaching was very different, which is normal, but theirs was frustrating for a few reasons. I felt that they didn’t fully utilize players' strengths and therefore, missed on opportunities. Saigeon's shot and skating have always been among some of his best known assets. He finds ways to score from everywhere in a variety of ways, but particularly, would receive passes and score from the faceoff circle to the left facing opposing goalies on a regular basis. In Hamilton, that area was known as his office because it was so common. In Oshawa, he still wound up on the scoresheet on a regular basis but Oshawa’s coaching didn’t utilize his offensive abilities like Hamilton had. Oshawa’s line combinations were also very inconsistent in the regular season, which were often juggled right when it appeared that players would find some chemistry. It was strange and was a common frustration with many Generals season ticket holders. Of all of the line combinations, I would have liked to have seen Saigeon and Salinitri on the same line with a good playmaker but it never happened.

Let’s not portray a narrative that Saigeon was an offensive disappointment in Oshawa. It's not accurate. Yes, his points per game average declined after the trade. However, his regular season points per game average with Oshawa (1.04) was similar to his average in Hamilton last season (1.08) when Colorado drafted him. Overall he finished the 2018-19 regular season with 92 points in 68 games (1.35 points per game), which was the highest season total in Oshawa. Additionally, he lead the Generals in playoff points (16 points in 15 games), which is the most important time for players to step up. This is also a team that finished top 4 in the playoffs, and pulled off what many considered to be a huge upset against Niagara (4-2 series win), as many fans and media across the OHL predicted a quick series win for Niagara. While I agree that there were chemistry issues in the regular season, it was not as evident in the playoffs, and the lines were more consistent by then.

I didn’t see a change in Saigeon’s intensity from the time he was traded to Oshawa. He was still battling every game and generating offence. If anything, he would have had to work harder to maintain his spot in the line-up in Oshawa because of their depth on three lines. With Oshawa having much more depth than Hamilton, they had options to bump guys down the lineup. One part of Saigeon’s game that did decline in Oshawa was his shots on goal. I believe this happened for 2 reasons: (1) I think coming in to Oshawa he didn’t want to come in saying “pass me the puck, I’ll score the goals”. That’s not his demeanor. Coaches have wanted him to shoot more in the past, which John Gruden, the former coach from Hamilton’s championship team had mentioned in interviews a few times in the past. (2) Oshawa didn’t utilize him in a way where he could generate more goals. He still scored goals in Oshawa like we’d see in Hamilton, except we’d rarely see him get set-up for goals to the left of the goalie, which I noted above.

He’s not one of the most physical players on the ice, but he still hits, isn’t afraid to play along the boards, and certainly doesn’t shy from scrums. He has also had 1 or 2 fights each season, with the OHL’s 3 fight limit. Particularly in Oshawa on St. Patrick’s day versus Sudbury, Darian Pilon, a 20 year old veteran, was after Lleyton Moore, a rookie with the Oshawa Generals. Pilon is a few inches taller than Moore and about 20lbs heavier. Saigeon took exception to Pilon being a **** disturber and stepped up to fight Pilon instead.

A few good links I’d like to share for Colorado fans:
OHL stats: Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League - you can toggle seasons, teams, regular season/playoffs. If you click show/hide, click some columns to hide, and you’ll see more stats to the right for players. You can even switch from the “player” tab to “team” tab and view special teams stats.
Saigeon’s 2017-18 highlights: www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Y9sfmhYTE – if skating were a big issue, there’s no way some of those goals would have been scored.

I think to a certain extent you took offense to my write up on Saigeon, perhaps due to a connection, when in fact I wouldn't disagree with much that you said except for the skating. And much of what I wrote about his time in Oshawa, you agreed with and mentioned above.

I didn't really touch on his time in Hamilton and I would agree that the article does lack some context. But in reality, I'm writing about every NHL drafted prospect in the OHL this summer (for both my site and for McKeens) and words will be limited. So I'm just not going to go as in depth as you did above (which was a very good description).

But in Oshawa, I did see a different player. Be it because the coaching staff asked him to take on a bit of a different role. Be it because of a lack of chemistry. Be it because of being utilized differently with the man advantage. But he wasn't as effective offensively with the Generals and I do feel that he wasn't as aggressive away from the puck as he had been during his tenure with the Bulldogs. Was he soft? Absolutely not. But he wasn't quite the puck hound and physically abrasive player that he was in Hamilton.

As for his skating, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. It's why he was not drafted until his final year of eligibility. However, his skating definitely has improved a ton over his OHL career and it's why he finally was drafted, on top of his breakout as a goal scorer and his performance in the playoffs for Hamilton during their Championship run. But he's still just an average skater for an OHL player. Not below average. But he isn't extremely powerful in this regard. And I know I am not alone in this opinion among the scouting community. Unfortunately, if his skating is nor a strength, or a weakness at the OHL level, it means it will need to be improved for the pro level where the game is just that much faster. A guy like Michael Dal Colle is a perfect example here (among many, many others). As an OHL player, he was a standout. But his skating ability was average. Transitioning to pro, there were some difficulties for him in terms of pace (although some other things also have held him back). In the AHL, there aren't many poor skaters, especially among defenders. Where as in the OHL, that's obviously not the case.

Anyway, apologies if I struck a nerve here. All the best to Saigeon and hopefully he convinces Colorado to give him an ELC with a strong AHL performance this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad