Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread III (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So Oettinger and Farabee are both turning pro. McKenzie said a few weeks ago all signs point to Fabbro leaving as well. Is BU's recruiting class supposed to be any good because right now things don't look too good for Bowers if he's staying.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I hope Bowers changes his mind and goes pro. He’s definitely not NHL ready but he’s AHL ready for sure.

I think Bowers needs to play more. He isn’t going to do that by staying in college and playing a handful of games next year again. Let him go to Loveland and learn the pro game and play on a pro schedule.

I like the college route for the guys who need an extra year to get stronger but for a guy like Bowers I just don’t see why you’d stay in college when AHL is an option and (imo) a much better fit for his game.

One thing I’ll say that seems really odd about this is that I heard Halifax were trying really hard to work on a deal around Dec/Jan to acquire Shane’s rights. Don’t think they would have done that if they didn’t have some type of feeling that he’d leave college. I’m guessing in the end Bowers wasn’t going anywhere but it sounds like he was certainly considering it.

Last edited:

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I hope Bowers changes his mind and goes pro. He’s definitely not NHL ready but he’s AHL ready for sure.

I think Bowers needs to play more. He isn’t going to do that by staying in college and playing a handful of games next year again. Let him go to Loveland and learn the pro game and play on a pro schedule.

I like the college route for the guys who need an extra year to get stronger but for a guy like Bowers I just don’t see why you’d stay in college when AHL is an option and (imo) a much better fit for his game.

One thing I’ll say that seems really odd about this is that I heard Halifax were trying really hard to work on a deal around Dec/Jan to acquire Shane’s rights. Don’t think they would have done that if they didn’t have some type of feeling that he’d leave college. I’m guessing in the end Bowers wasn’t going anywhere but it sounds like he was certainly considering it.

I'm hoping watching half his team turn pro changes his mind. If he thought this year was bad what's next year going to be with all the talent gone.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

IMO the Canadian junior teams have a lot of speculation on Canadian kids in the NCAA with hopes and dreams of getting them to leave college. They look for any possible situation where they can get talent, regardless of what the kid is actually thinking.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I really don’t care if BU is the best team in the nation or if it’s a complete shit hole. He’s getting the same minutes regardless.

The big factor for me is that he’s playing 35-40 games next year again when everybody else his age will be playing in real leagues playing a full season with and against grown men.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
IMO the Canadian junior teams have a lot of speculation on Canadian kids in the NCAA with hopes and dreams of getting them to leave college. They look for any possible situation where they can get talent, regardless of what the kid is actually thinking.
Yep they generally don’t give a shit. They swipe these kids all the time which is kinda sad since some of them will never earn an NHL contract and didn’t complete their school when they were probably gifted a free education.

In Bowers case though I wish he had done it. Just for the extra hockey alone. Bowers needs to polish his game. Quebec league is a fantastic place to do that and the extra games/Mem Cup experience is just added bonus.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yep they generally don’t give a ****. They swipe these kids all the time which is kinda sad since some of them will never earn an NHL contract and didn’t complete their school when they were probably gifted a free education.

In Bowers case though I wish he had done it. Just for the extra hockey alone. Bowers needs to polish his game. Quebec league is a fantastic place to do that and the extra games/Mem Cup experience is just added bonus.

I want Bowers out selfishly because I think the coach is a pure disaster. Though I don't blame Bowers for sticking another year. He isn't NHL ready and could use some extra seasoning, he's going to at least have an A, maybe a C for the season (and that would be a real positive to staying IMO), and he's going to burn a year anyway next season. The latter is probably a significant part here. Bowers will be able to use his leverage next spring to get the full signing bonus and some NHL salary to finish up the season... so going back he can gain an extra year in college, be counted on as leader, and basically earn the same money, if not more. He really can't lose.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
BU really went from a well coached squad to shambles in one offseason. Really not a fan of him sticking there with the current coaching staff.

Reactions: ljb4

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Maybe Bowers will change his mind after watching all his teammates leave?

It isn't likely that he has fully made up his mind yet, but I'd say, if anything, it reinforces him staying. He will be relied upon as a leader next year and be one of the key guys bringing along the new class there.

Reactions: S E P H

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
Wasn't JTC planning on staying for his senior until Conner and Motte signed their ELCs and then he signed his a few weeks later?

Hopefully everyone leaving BU has the same effect on Bowers.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Wasn't JTC planning on staying for his senior until Conner and Motte signed their ELCs and then he signed his a few weeks later?

Hopefully everyone leaving BU has the same effect on Bowers.

It was more of a coach wanting JT back and pumping the rumors out there while the Avs backed a small truck to JT's door.

Reactions: Avalanche

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ya never know I guess. O'Connor was all set to be DU's captain and then signed with the Avs. I'm not holding my breath, but he's got plenty of time before he has to make a firm decision.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Ya never know I guess. O'Connor was all set to be DU's captain and then signed with the Avs. I'm not holding my breath, but he's got plenty of time before he has to make a firm decision.
185k has a way of changing a fringe player's mind... especially when he can finish his degree while playing.

No matter what Bowers is getting his 92.5k next season, just a matter of timing. If he forces the Avs' had next spring, he might be able to collect ~50-80k of salary too that would fully make up his AHL salary this year.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Are we assuming Bowers didn't know what his teammates and friends were doing prior to today when the rest of us find out? If he was leaning towards staying before then it's probably still the same.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Zegras, Vlasic, Fensore, and McCarthy are all BU commits for next season. They’ll all be freshmen, but I have to imagine if Zegras has as much potential as I’ve been reading about, then Bowers won’t be totally alone on an island in Boston. BC is definitely gonna be better than BU, though. BC is looking to be bringing in a ton of young talent, and that’s only taking into account the USNTDP commits.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Zegras, Vlasic, Fensore, and McCarthy are all BU commits for next season. They’ll all be freshmen, but I have to imagine if Zegras has as much potential as I’ve been reading about, then Bowers won’t be totally alone on an island in Boston. BC is definitely gonna be better than BU, though. BC is looking to be bringing in a ton of young talent, and that’s only taking into account the USNTDP commits.
Mastrosimone is going as well, he's got a handful of offensive punch in the USHL. It won't be all doom and gloom there.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
As I mentioned before, BU had a crap ton of veteran players who's highest skill level was that of 3rd line secondary scorer. But because those players had experience and veteran ability, they got many important minutes besides Farabee who was an expectation. Because of that, I would be shocked to see him overtake Bowers on the depth chart even though Zegras will clearly be the better player longterm.

I want Bowers out selfishly because I think the coach is a pure disaster.
I am not ready to bag on the coach yet, but it will be truly puzzling if BU isn't able to replace Quinn with another good coach. Every top NCAA programme was able to replace their legend with someone as good as them like Michigan, North Dakota, DU, and others have done. If BU is the only one who hasn't, it will be a world of hurt for them since university-based coaches (for almost every sport) have longer lifespans than Avs head coaches, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->