Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread III (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Would he be signing and coming over here just for ECHL time? Think they'd rather him play better competition in Sweden at that point, no?
It would only be temporary, and that's pure speculation on my part anyway. The Eagles are just a competitive franchise and I can't see them giving a lot of starts to a rookie, especially if he struggles in the slightest.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I wouldn't be surprised to see him be the starter in Utah for a bit, just to get comfortable in NA and get a bunch of guaranteed starts. Depending on what else they do for AHL goaltending, it might be better for him to be there than being a backup in Loveland.
Agreed, Martin is still only 23 years old and some goalers take a long time to develop, which might lead to the Avs to hang on to him. I mean I don't care if they let him go, but Werner can absolutely start the year in Utah.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Agreed, Martin is still only 23 years old and some goalers take a long time to develop, which might lead to the Avs to hang on to him. I mean I don't care if they let him go, but Werner can absolutely start the year in Utah.

Goalies can take a while to develop, but Martin certainly just doesn't have it anymore. His knee injury in junior just killed his athleticism that made him a decent prospect. It sucks, but it is time to call a spade a spade here. The what if game sucks, but it should be clear that Martin just isn't a good enough goalie for the AHL level. I'd rather the Avs go after Hawkey in August and have him start in the ECHL than Martin pushing Werner to the ECHL.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Goalies can take a while to develop, but Martin certainly just doesn't have it anymore. His knee injury in junior just killed his athleticism that made him a decent prospect. It sucks, but it is time to call a spade a spade here. The what if game sucks, but it should be clear that Martin just isn't a good enough goalie for the AHL level. I'd rather the Avs go after Hawkey in August and have him start in the ECHL than Martin pushing Werner to the ECHL.
I would love that - I think part of me thinks you said his name because you know I absolutely love him, but why wouldn't Hawkey not sign with Oilers? I mean Edmonton is Edmonton, but that's as good of a chance he's going to get compared to majority of NHL teams.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I would love that - I think part of me thinks you said his name because you know I absolutely love him, but why wouldn't Hawkey not sign with Oilers? I mean Edmonton is Edmonton, but that's as good of a chance he's going to get compared to majority of NHL teams.

Numbers... Edmonton is locked into Koskinen, but will also bring in another NHL goalie to lock down that position (could see Varly there). Then they have Skinner and Wells already signed and fighting for the AHL backup spot with the loser likely in the ECHL. Starrett came in and pretty much stole the AHL starting job, and I don't see a situation where he doesn't get a chance to prove it wasn't a fluke there. So they pretty much have 3 of 4 spots filled, and the 4th spot is undesirable. Beyond that, they have Rodrigue coming up too. He's still another year away from joining the minors, but given his status, hard to say he won't be given preferential treatment upon entering the AHL. Basically, there is little opportunity with the Oilers. He'd be destined to an ECHL backup job, where he has to steal the starting job this year only to be locked out in 20-21 because of a higher ranked prospect.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Oh btw, Jussi Rynnäs signed in Germany, and currently the two goaltenders under contract with Kärpät are Veini Vehviläinen and Justus "Fatso" Annunen.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Numbers... Edmonton is locked into Koskinen, but will also bring in another NHL goalie to lock down that position (could see Varly there). Then they have Skinner and Wells already signed and fighting for the AHL backup spot with the loser likely in the ECHL. Starrett came in and pretty much stole the AHL starting job, and I don't see a situation where he doesn't get a chance to prove it wasn't a fluke there. So they pretty much have 3 of 4 spots filled, and the 4th spot is undesirable. Beyond that, they have Rodrigue coming up too. He's still another year away from joining the minors, but given his status, hard to say he won't be given preferential treatment upon entering the AHL. Basically, there is little opportunity with the Oilers. He'd be destined to an ECHL backup job, where he has to steal the starting job this year only to be locked out in 20-21 because of a higher ranked prospect.
Varly signing in western Canada will end his career in 1 season.... 42 games mandatory there...

Reactions: cgf

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Is Sakic still interested in Cale Morris?

He remains undrafted and would be a UFA this summer. He might return for another College season (didn’t play 1st year) with a strong UND team. Coming off another good season, he’s from Denver and might be interested in joining his hometown team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Questions mostly about his talent/upside or polish?

Bad rebound control and isn't real athletic combining with a smaller frame. He's going to be a guy somebody signs and says steal the AHL job to prove you're capable. Nobody is giving him an AHL job which I think was the expectation this spring.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bad rebound control and isn't real athletic combining with a smaller frame. He's going to be a guy somebody signs and says steal the AHL job to prove you're capable. Nobody is giving him an AHL job which I think was the expectation this spring.

That's a shame. I really don't know shit about assessing goalies, but the idea of stealing a capable prospect from the NCAA-FA market due to our connection to ND and his connection to colorado, was certainly an appealing one.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
That's a shame. I really don't know **** about assessing goalies, but the idea of stealing a capable prospect from the NCAA-FA market due to our connection to ND and his connection to colorado, was certainly an appealing one.

There's another guy or two out there that the Avs might be tracking. ;)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
isn't real athletic combining
Not sure I can agree with that, I mean I get the complaints of him being small and not as athletic as Jonathan Quick, but for scouts to say he isn't really athletic is just super wrong. But these are the folks who allow Arvidsson to go undrafted like three years in a row.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not sure I can agree with that, I mean I get the complaints of him being small and not as athletic as Jonathan Quick, but for scouts to say he isn't really athletic is just super wrong. But these are the folks who allow Arvidsson to go undrafted like three years in a row.

The line of thinking is that as a 6'/6'1" goalie you have to be not just athletic, but have to have elite athleticism to be successful. I don't really agree, but the NHL is filled with scouts that have that mindset. I'd say Morris is a number of steps behind the prime Varly/Quick/Vasi level athleticism. And probably a step or two behind the Grubs/Mrazek level. More on the Howard/Bernier sort of level. I think with the right coaching you can make that work and I would have signed him on weaker goalie depth team (though not as an AHL starter like was requested).

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Can someone conduct a list of every Avs prospect that are under contract or who's rights we own and put EP-links to everybody?

Perhaps in a nice way in the OP so lazy people like me can check up on them once a month or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad