Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread III (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Nope not even close
They put together a package of how quiet he was.
Buccigross and Melrose kept saying "why is he sitting back and not taking over this game and Pio's took it to them in the 2nd and 3rd.

The 1st period was hardly hockey because of the penalties. Each team had 5 minutes of straight PP time so it doesn't reflect the pace the of the game as the entire 1st was essentially a giant PP.
Um it's called coaching, UMass coach told his players to play sit back and prevent hockey.

They called him out because they wanted to see him take over, but his coach was telling the entire team to sit back who is the kid going to listen to... His coach.

It was incredibly bad coaching, but Makar being the good trooper and highly coachable guy he is did what the coach wanted. Which was sit back, take no risks hockey.

Based on the first 30 minutes of the game where Makar got to play his style of game, he was utterly dominant and did whatever he wanted. When the coach made a poor decision is when Makar became less effective. Never tell your players to sit back. It never works and they got very lucky.

Last edited:

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
I think that was the first time I ever cheered against DU. I really want to see Makar win. It'd be nice way to end his career there. Taking a bottom feeder to National Champs would be quite the turnaround.

Agreed. Extremely small chance he does not turn pro right away, but if there was any doubt then winning the championship and also the Hobey Baker would leave Makar with absolutely nothing left to play for at the NCAA level.

Of course, also great for his legacy. If they win tomorrow he will be a legend at UMASS forever.

Reactions: avsfan09

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
Umass had a chance to kill off the game in the 1st. Leading 3-1 with the ice completely tilted in their favor and 3+ minutes of PP time, but the coach decided to roll his 3rd and 4th lines on the PP, madness.

Worst decision I have seen Carvel make all year. They had them on the ropes. 1 more goal would have likely been the knock out punch and they let their feet off the gas pedal when they had more than 2 minutes left of a 5 minute powerplay. The way they were playing at that time I would not have been surprised if they scored 2 more goals. Commentators at the time were actually saying it was a smart decision by Carvel as the other players were not getting any ice time and good to conserve top players energy. Take the timeout if have to. Sitting players out for a 10 minute stretch isn't a huge deal as period was ending soon too. A lot of the powerplay doesn't use too much enery either if have control in offensive zone. I don't think Makar saw the ice for the last 2 minutes of the 5 minute major. Ludicrous!

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If Makar loses tomorrow night I’m going to be so pissed that it was all for nothing and had he lost a few weeks ago he’d have about 7 NHL games under his belt already lol.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Um it's called coaching, UMass coach told his players to play sit back and prevent hockey.

They called him out because they wanted to see him take over, but his coach was telling the entire team to sit back who is the kid going to listen to... His coach.

It was incredibly bad coaching, but Makar being the good trooper and highly coachable guy he is did what the coach wanted. Which was sit back, take no risks hockey.

Based on the first 30 minutes of the game where Makar got to play his style of game, he was utterly dominant and did whatever he wanted. When the coach made a poor decision is when Makar became less effective. Never tell your players to sit back. It never works and they got very lucky.

No #@$ they were sitting back

so for the original poster to say "Makar controlling play whenever he's on ice" was blatantly false in this game, as he didn't in the 2nd and 3rd.

So no he wasnt close to the best player. Leonard, Del Gaizo, and Chau were the most consistent and best players for Umass period, and the announcers and the panel agreed with me.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
No #@$ they were sitting back

so for the original poster to say "Makar controlling play whenever he's on ice" was blatantly false in this game, as he didn't in the 2nd and 3rd.

So no he wasnt close to the best player. Leonard, Del Gaizo, and Chau were the most consistent and best players for Umass period, and the announcers and the panel agreed with me.
If you completely ignore the first half of the game then sure those guys were the best players for UMass. But if you evaluate the whole game then it was easily Makar. He was a dominant force the first half of the game until his coach reeled him in asked him to play more conservatively.

Honestly even in the 3rd and OT Makar played fine, it just wasn't flashy.

I feel like players like Makar/MacKinnon etc. Get judged way too harshly. It's like if they don't make a perfect rush up ice and cause 30+ seconds of havoc in the offensive zone every shift, they get called out. I thought Makar was fine in the later half of the game. He played solid in his own end, and that's what the coach asked him to do.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Worst decision I have seen Carvel make all year. They had them on the ropes. 1 more goal would have likely been the knock out punch and they let their feet off the gas pedal when they had more than 2 minutes left of a 5 minute powerplay. The way they were playing at that time I would not have been surprised if they scored 2 more goals. Commentators at the time were actually saying it was a smart decision by Carvel as the other players were not getting any ice time and good to conserve top players energy. Take the timeout if have to. Sitting players out for a 10 minute stretch isn't a huge deal as period was ending soon too. A lot of the powerplay doesn't use too much enery either if have control in offensive zone. I don't think Makar saw the ice for the last 2 minutes of the 5 minute major. Ludicrous!
That was seriously the worst coached game I've watched in quite some time. They hit 3-1 and DU was reeling. So instead of going for the knockout punch he sat back the rest of the PP. And then tried to play prevent defense for 2+ periods. He was extremely lucky to come away with the win last night.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If Makar loses tomorrow night I’m going to be so pissed that it was all for nothing and had he lost a few weeks ago he’d have about 7 NHL games under his belt already lol.
Duluth is a super tough team to play against, they did a great job recruiting where they have a perfect mixture of grit and talent akin to the in-form version of the Winnipeg Jets. Nothing's a given, but Makar will have to be on the top of his game if they want to win tomorrow...I actually will give UMass an edge in talent, but Duluth is just so clutch that they make up for any talent issues.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Agreed. Extremely small chance he does not turn pro right away, but if there was any doubt then winning the championship and also the Hobey Baker would leave Makar with absolutely nothing left to play for at the NCAA level.

Of course, also great for his legacy. If they win tomorrow he will be a legend at UMASS forever.
It will be huge for Makar to win the championship. I know some people want to see him on the Avs but that feeling of success would be incredibly validating and will stick with him forever. He will have been a major part of turning a program around that was once considered poor. He will have a Hobey Baker aswell as a National Championship under his belt.

Those things last forever and after all the work he's put in will hopefully not only show him how to win by constantly improving your game but I think he can be a big part of pushing thr Avs over the edge.

He has that Mackinnon like drive to win and I think it will be infectious. He just makes his teammates better.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Playing in these pressure packed elimination games is still great for his development. Given that he can play a big role and feel more comfortable, as opposed to anxious in the NHL playoffs, it's arguably better for him at this point in his development.

That's what you want them to learn at this age. That they can be comfortable playing in huge games. Lets the development curve trend upwards rather than stall out.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
It will be huge for Makar to win the championship. I know some people want to see him on the Avs but that feeling of success would be incredibly validating and will stick with him forever. He will have been a major part of turning a program around that was once considered poor. He will have a Hobey Baker aswell as a National Championship under his belt.

Those things last forever and after all the work he's put in will hopefully not only show him how to win by constantly improving your game but I think he can be a big part of pushing thr Avs over the edge.

He has that Mackinnon like drive to win and I think it will be infectious. He just makes his teammates better.

Hell yes. Hopefully the kid gets to add two more bullet points to this list before making the jump

upload_2019-4-12_13-50-58.png

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
They just gave up on the list. It's missing New England player of the year and regional MVP and all-star selection.
To be fair he probably is running out of room in his trophy cabinet and needed to make room. He's got a national championship and Hobey Baker coming in soon.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
On that note...ya got anything for Soundwave?

I'd be a bit surprised if Chaffee went pro this year. If I was advising him, I'd say strike while the iron is hot as he will have offers... actually had one last year he turned down.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd be a bit surprised if Chaffee went pro this year. If I was advising him, I'd say strike while the iron is hot as he will have offers... actually had one last year he turned down.

Any idea if the avs have been high on him from their Makar-viewings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad