Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Basically.. But hes not special because Hughes is the only special D in the NCAA right now.

I'm going to **** with you over that comment @S E P H from now until one of us is proven wrong.
Adam Fox is actually the best defender in the NCAA right now. The problem between the Makar vs Hughes debate is you're not factoring in the strength of the conferences. Fox probably plays in the weakest of the three and is the oldest which is why he's considered the best, however Hughes plays in easily the toughest of the three with only the NCHC as the better. Hockey East's winning percentage has dropped the last three years as a conference telling us that it's losing talent and that the parity is growing a part. That doesn't mean it is horrible since it fluctuates from freshman draft classes annual. It is also a top end conference which recruits a ton of NHL prospects, but that the Big 10 is growing into an positive trajectory while Hockey East is towards a horizontal-downward vector. Makar's season has been very impressive, to say the opposite would be lying, but what Hughes has been able to accomplish in a tougher division and with a weaker team who lost a lot of talent is just eye-opening.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
You could get into semantics forever on these debates. Makar is having a great season and should be a Hobey Baker finalist. Fox and Hughes are having great seasons and should be Hobey Baker finalists. Hell, Chase Priskie might be having the best season of all NCAA defensemen... he basically is the Quinnipiac offense. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Jimmy Vesey, Will Butcher and Adam Gaudette won the last 3 Hobey Baker awards. I do not put too much stock into that title.

Reactions: Hagstrom

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Jimmy Vesey, Will Butcher and Adam Gaudette won the last 3 Hobey Baker awards. I do not put too much stock into that title.

Why not?

Vesey is having a quietly solid year, pacing for 20+ Goals and 40+ points. And Butcher had 44 points as a rookie defender last year and was a big reason for the Devils being a playoff team. His struggles this year could easily be chalked up to a sophomore slump and they are also showing his value to the Devils as they're not doing nearly as well this year either. Far too early to judge on Gaudette.

Also extremely important to look at the age of the winners as well. Butcher was 22 when he won it and in his 4th year of college hockey. Gaudette was 21 and in his 3rd year. And Vesey was also 22 and in his 4th year.

It's an entirely different story for a 20 year old Cale Makar to be a Hobey Baker winner if that were to end up happening. Or for a 19 year old Hughes to win it in his freshman year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I'm with ya on that... just saying. This is a good year for NCAA defensemen and Makar is a part of the reason for that. I don't think he is having the most impressive year out of the group, but it is certainly still a top end year for him.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
The more I watch Kakko the more I want him. He's like Forsberg, Rantanen and Barkov rolled into one.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The more I watch Kakko the more I want him. He's like Forsberg, Rantanen and Barkov rolled into one.

He and Hughes are amazing. Whatever teams end up with the #1 and #2 picks in this years draft are getting franchise level players.

Kind of ridiculous that we already have 2 of those guys and stand to have potentially a ~30% chance of another one falling in our lap. And it's not like Landeskog, Girard, and Makar are slouches either. Makar has franchise player upside as well at the NHL level if things go according to plan.

Even with the Avs struggles right now, it's hard not to be ridiculously excited about our future.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
The best part of this draft is that I'd be absolutely thrilled with any of the top-5-6 players. Long as the Sens finish bottom 3, the Avs are set.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Saigeon is putting up very good numbers this year although as an overager. Anybody can comment on his type of game? Speed, physical, grit, IQ, two-way game...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad