Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He's slowing down, but that was to be expected. As Hench said, no sophomore defender will be 1 PPGA let alone 2 PPGA except if they're special (which Hughes might be). However, as others have also said UMass's schedule is just effin' weird. I don't know how much college hockey you follow, but Hockey East is like 70% entirely composed of Boston and Massachusetts teams. Compared to 99.9% rest of the NCAA, you play double series every Friday and Saturday. UMass though, has extremely strange days for games like earlier in December where they played one game of the double series on Saturday and the next one on Wednesday because of the close proximity of the teams. On multiple occasions, they've only played one game per weekend. In the end it should even itself out, but the games for that one particular school is really hard to follow.

The only thing I took out of this is you saying Makar isn't special.

Reactions: klozge and cgf

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The only thing I took out of this is you saying Makar isn't special.
I was commenting on the "it's quiet" part of Balth's post than anything to do with Makar's talent. He isn't going to be PPG player in the pros, that's for sure, just as Quinn Hughes won't be either.

E: When I meant "special", I was talking about Rasmus Dahlin or Seth Jones type of defenders. I would be surprised if Makar becomes THAT good.

Reactions: MikeC

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I was commenting on the "it's quiet" part of Balth's post than anything to do with Makar's talent. He isn't going to be PPG player in the pros, that's for sure, just as Quinn Hughes won't be either.

E: When I meant "special", I was talking about Rasmus Dahlin or Seth Jones type of defenders. I would be surprised if Makar becomes THAT good.

:skeptic:

MikeC

Feb 28, 2002
L'Assomption

Dahlin and Jones are the type of dmen you build your team around but what Makar brings is special . With his speed and his talent and the new NHL, I can not wait to see him join the Avs.

Makar, Girard and Timmins will form a very nice group

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
It’s not just the Spengler though. He has turned down the options of playing in the Olympics, the Spengler and the NHL all in the last 10 months.

Not saying any of those are or are not bad choices by him, but I promise HC remembers.
Well screw HC for the ridiculous treatment of Makar at the World Juniors , I'm happy Makar remembers.

Nobody cares about the Spengler Cup and the World Championships are just a vacation for the boys .

As far as the Olympics NHL players might never play in them again npr should they , they're for amateur sports. Bring back the World Cup for a best on best and not the silly format of the last one :facepalm:

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017

I wouldn't , 5his kid is as talented skill wise as those 2 . More so than Jones he's just big with skill but nothing special

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Dahlin and Jones are the type of dmen you build your team around but what Makar brings is special . With his speed and his talent and the new NHL, I can not wait to see him join the Avs.

Makar, Girard and Timmins will form a very nice group
Exactly and I like the fact you didn't mention Barrie lol.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Every day you find a new way to leave me dumbfounded.

Its amazing to see someone with such a basic understanding of the game.
Bud Jones was a 4th overall and Makar was a 4th overall, why can't Makar be as good . Jones is ok but he's nothing special in any specific way . Makar is , his skills are superior to Jones . I don't see things your way nor do I have to . Go pound sand.

If Jones was as special as you say, Nashville would have never traded him and especially not for Ryan Johanssen . Now bog off with ur nonsense, I'm not 1 of your club of delusionals .

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I wouldn't , 5his kid is as talented skill wise as those 2 . More so than Jones he's just big with skill but nothing special

giphy.gif

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If I could add any defensemen in the NHL right now based on everything (ability, age, contract, fit) I think I go get Seth Jones. It's between Jones, Dahlin and Hedman but I'm pretty sure Jones would be my guy.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Wait is he talking about Norris contender Jones or am I missing something? What a clown
Yeah the same guy Nashville traded for a 2nd line center , there doe head . Nobody is saying he isn't a good player but he's not exceptional . Norris contender lol

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah the same guy Nashville traded for a 2nd line center , there doe head . Nobody is saying he isn't a good player but he's not exceptional . Norris contender lol
Not gonna lie, I don't think you really run a foolproof method of how you evaluate hockey players. Thats twice I've seen you evaluate a hockey player based on nothing to do with the game of hockey itself. You compared Makar to Jones because of their draft position even though 5 years separate them, one plays NCAA hockey and the other is one of, if not the best defensemen on the planet. Then you evaluated Jones current talent based on his trade return from like 3 years ago. You must think Matt Duchene is a modern day Gretzky.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Not gonna lie, I don't think you really run a foolproof method of how you evaluate hockey players. Thats twice I've seen you evaluate a hockey player based on nothing to do with the game of hockey itself. You compared Makar to Jones because of their draft position even though 5 years separate them, one plays NCAA hockey and the other is one of, if not the best defensemen on the planet. Then you evaluated Jones current talent based on his trade return from like 3 years ago. You must think Matt Duchene is a modern day Gretzky.
You lost me in the Duchene thing , thing Jones was as good as you say why would Nashville ever trade him. I wasn't comparing Makar and Jones at all , i was rebutting the argument that Makar never had a chance to be as good Jones . Go back and read.

Jones the best on the planet lololololol I know Newfies aren't known for their brains , hence the Newfie jokes , but that is simply hilarious.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
You lost me in the Duchene thing , thing Jones was as good as you say why would Nashville ever trade him. I wasn't comparing Makar and Jones at all , i was rebutting the argument that Makar never had a chance to be as good Jones . Go back and read.

Jones the best on the planet lololololol I know Newfies aren't known for their brains , hence the Newfie jokes , but that is simply hilarious.

Teams make mistakes....

Nashville thought they had a great Dcore already and had a major need for a #1C. They moved Jones because they had at the time Weber, and Josi.

There's not a single doubt in my mind that if Nashville had the time back they would not have made that specific trade and instead would have kept Jones and used another Dman to get that #1C. Jones is the best Dman on both Nashville and Columbus rosters at this point.

Like Cousin Eddie said, right now there's maybe 2 Dmen in the entire league with more value then Jones. Maybe.

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
Lots of east coasters here. All avs fans tho boys.
Jones' game must have grown a lot, all good tho we got Mack.
I'm stoked to see what we have in Kovalenko this jrs

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica

Yes the player in question (Seth Jones in case you’re as dense as you come off in your posts) finished 4th in voting for the Norris trophy just last season. He’s an elite 1D in the NHL.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Teams make mistakes....

Nashville thought they had a great Dcore already and had a major need for a #1C. They moved Jones because they had at the time Weber, and Josi.

There's not a single doubt in my mind that if Nashville had the time back they would not have made that specific trade and instead would have kept Jones and used another Dman to get that #1C. Jones is the best Dman on both Nashville and Columbus rosters at this point.

Like Cousin Eddie said, right now there's maybe 2 Dmen in the entire league with more value then Jones. Maybe.
There are only two I would take over him. Dahlin because of ceiling and Hedman because he does everything but considering age and all that jazz I might even still lean towards Jones over Hedman. Seth Jones is a special player all anyone needs to do is watch him for an extended amount of time to see this.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
There are only two I would take over him. Dahlin because of ceiling and Hedman because he does everything but considering age and all that jazz I might even still lean towards Jones over Hedman. Seth Jones is a special player all anyone needs to do is watch him for an extended amount of time to see this.

You guys are all making me swoon right now. And f*** that other BS

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
In before "He is just scared to take on a bigger challenge. Just like those Hughes boys."

Makar has slowed a touch, but there wasn't any way he was going to keep up a 2ppg pace. He playing the exact way you'd want him to play right now. Controlling the ice, pushing the play, and contributing offense. If it continues in the second half, he will find his way to being a Hobey Baker finalist (and crazy to think there might 3 defensemen there this year and any could win it).

Isn't this Fox's to lose now? Or are they going to keep him out because ECAC plays fewer games?

Hm, Priskie and Q. have played 17 games, Fox and Harvard 11. Is it just Havard that's got a very tilted schedule?

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
If the is the case. Can someone please send the Memorial Cup to Drummondville!!!
A buddy gave me a Drummondville rugby style shirt with the collar a few weeks ago so maybe I'll have a reason to wear it lol . Black and red stripes with the white collar lol

I'm due for a Moncton Wildcats game soon so Drummondville would be a good team to see especially if Bowers ends up there. Surprised Halifax didn't go after his rights actually , or maybe they tried

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad