GDT: 2018-19 Other Games Around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
Flames on a back to back tomorrow against a hot Arizona team. Here's to hoping we are 1 point back tomorrow night with a game in hand. Winning the Pacific is looking more and more important.

Also off topic, but NHL Network was just talking about Norris favorites. They picked Giordano, and here were the reasons...

1. He's old.
2. He "shares" his minutes well.
3. He has more PIM
4. He was the favorite 5 years ago but got hurt

You may think I'm kidding, but sadly I am not. Those were seriously the main reasons given on why he should win, "even though Burns has more points and is a better offensive player."

You just know they are going to give Giordano the lifetime achievement award and Burns will be robbed. The only hope is if the Sharks pass the Flames in the standings more voters will realize he is the clear cut pick for the Norris.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

mooncalf

Mar 15, 2017
San Jose
I'm not scared of any team, except maybe Tampa. The Sharks can handle just about everyone else so long as Jones doesn't fall apart.
I'm the opposite, every team scares me :D Like if we got the 1st seed and the Oilers somehow snuck in, I'd be like, we should win, but what if McDavid goes off? Same for Chicago, Dallas, anyone. They all scare me lol.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I'm the opposite, every team scares me :D Like if we got the 1st seed and the Oilers somehow snuck in, I'd be like, we should win, but what if McDavid goes off? Same for Chicago, Dallas, anyone. They all scare me lol.

A doctor (maybe) has diagnosed this as SRSD - Sharks Related Stress Disorder. Peak prevalence of this disorder occurred around 2007-2010, though there was a spike in 2014 for..... unknown reasons.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
If the refs hadn’t blown that high stick against Boston the Sharks would be able retake first in the pacific right now.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
With how great the sharks have been at home this year it would be great to win the west. Avoiding Vegas and the potential of running into a hot Fleury is a bonus.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
With how great the sharks have been at home this year it would be great to win the west. Avoiding Vegas and the potential of running into a hot Fleury is a bonus.

If it ends up being Vegas-Calgary in the 1st round, Vegas is winning that series. Vegas has better depth and better goaltending. The only team I see Calgary beating in a playoff series right now is Minnesota. I think Dallas and Colorado would both take them out. I think Arizona would too but that's winnable for Calgary.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If it ends up being Vegas-Calgary in the 1st round, Vegas is winning that series. Vegas has better depth and better goaltending. The only team I see Calgary beating in a playoff series right now is Minnesota. I think Dallas and Colorado would both take them out. I think Arizona would too but that's winnable for Calgary.

Wow man, that’s a pretty hot take. I mean, sure, Vegas is almost certainly winning that series if it happens. But Dallas, Colorado, and Arizona being the favorites? No way.

However, I do think the Flames are very overrated. I remember the Toronto Vs. Calgary thread in the polls section, and Calgary won it. People in that thread told me I was just a salty Flames hater still angry over the Bennett hit on Simek when I said Calgary was being heavily overrated. Yeesh.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Wow man, that’s a pretty hot take. I mean, sure, Vegas is almost certainly winning that series if it happens. But Dallas, Colorado, and Arizona being the favorites? No way.

However, I do think the Flames are very overrated. I remember the Toronto Vs. Calgary thread in the polls section, and Calgary won it. People in that thread told me I was just a salty Flames hater still angry over the Bennett hit on Simek when I said Calgary was being heavily overrated. Yeesh.

season series vs all 3

dallas 0-2-0 (3 goals for, 6 goals against)
colorado 3-0-0 (14 goals for, 10 goals against)
arizona 3-0-0 (18 goals for, 4 goals against)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I didn't say that they'd be the favorites. I said that they'd lose to them in a playoff series. Those are not the same things.

Dallas owns Calgary this year. With their defense and goaltending, I think they'd shut down Calgary who is pretty shallow up front and I think would get worn out against such a team in a playoff series.

All the Colorado games have gone in Calgary's favor but were all close contests. Colorado is a similar team to Calgary up front being mostly tied to a handful of producers and not much else but I'd have more confidence in Colorado's goaltending than Calgary's.

The Arizona one is more of a hunch based on how they've been playing lately. During the season series, Calgary has owned the Coyotes but they've also not played against the same goalie twice in this series. They played against Raanta the night he got hurt. They played against Hill who is back in the AHL. They played against Pickard the last time who is barely an NHL backup. Tonight, they'll likely play against Kuemper who is having a very solid year for them. Kuemper's the kind of goalie playing on the kind of team that can definitely get hot come playoff time and shut them down as well. But like I said, that one is more winnable for Calgary because of their high-end talent compared to Arizona's lack of such things.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
It's funny how much people here talk about how well Dallas plays Calgary when we should be more concerned, should we draw Dallas in the playoffs at some point, that the Sharks under PDB have yet to win a game in Dallas and Dallas is the only road team in the West that the PDB era Sharks have not beat in their barn, 0-6-0, and only in the last Dallas Road game in December did the Sharks ever lead in any of those six games when Kane scored in the first for an early 1-0 lead.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It's funny how much people here talk about how well Dallas plays Calgary when we should be more concerned, should we draw Dallas in the playoffs at some point, that the Sharks under PDB have yet to win a game in Dallas and Dallas is the only road team in the West that the PDB era Sharks have not beat in their barn, 0-6-0, and only in the last Dallas Road game in December did the Sharks ever lead in any of those six games when Kane scored in the first for an early 1-0 lead.

The only team that really worries me in the West is WPG. Nashville to a certain point but I think a healthy Sharks team beats a healthy Nashville team in a 7 game series.

That being said, its the playoffs. Anything can happen. Our goalie shits the bed or their gets on hot streak. Or injuries.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
The only team that really worries me in the West is WPG. Nashville to a certain point but I think a healthy Sharks team beats a healthy Nashville team in a 7 game series.

That being said, its the playoffs. Anything can happen. Our goalie ****s the bed or their gets on hot streak. Or injuries.

I'm just saying, I live here in Dallas and have seen how this is the sole road team in the West the Sharks can't beat and haven't beaten in their place since Feb 2015. The last thing I want is a potential great Sharks run to end because they continue their lack of winning in Dallas into the postseason.(and everyone knows that you need to win on the road in the playoffs)

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
It's a good thing Dallas would only get 3 at home then.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm just saying, I live here in Dallas and have seen how this is the sole road team in the West the Sharks can't beat and haven't beaten in their place since Feb 2015. The last thing I want is a potential great Sharks run to end because they continue their lack of winning in Dallas into the postseason.(and everyone knows that you need to win on the road in the playoffs)

That all depends on which Sharks team shows up to those games. The team that turns the puck over is the team that loses to Dallas. The controlled Sharks team that maintains possession and doesn't give up the puck in bad areas would beat the Stars pretty easily. The Stars can definitely beat the Sharks in a seven game series since the Sharks have yet to show that their penchant for turning the puck over isn't a thing of the past. Granted, it happens less frequently lately than it did earlier in the year but it's still there and they only have to show up four times in seven games for it to be over for them.

In reality, the Stars only beat the Sharks if the Sharks give it to them. It's certainly possible but I wouldn't bet on it.

Reactions: ChompChomp

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Well. The Sharks need to do what is best and get home ice through the playoffs. They have little to no control over who they play as a WC team as that race is too close. Earlier this season we were dreading playing Vegas in the 1st round if we ended up not winning the division. And we still may end up playing them if we dont win it. With how Fleury has been over the last few games and their 5 game win streak maybe they are going to return to the same form that they were last postseason. Would you rather us play them?

I think you try your best to win the division and go from there. Can't worry too much about who we end up playing.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Well. The Sharks need to do what is best and get home ice through the playoffs. They have little to no control over who they play as a WC team as that race is too close. Earlier this season we were dreading playing Vegas in the 1st round if we ended up not winning the division. And we still may end up playing them if we dont win it. With how Fleury has been over the last few games and their 5 game win streak maybe they are going to return to the same form that they were last postseason. Would you rather us play them?

I think you try your best to win the division and go from there. Can't worry too much about who we end up playing.

I just worry about their play quality. I don't care about their place in the standings. Vegas is inconsistent and Fleury is going to be overworked by the time the playoffs start, imo. Dallas can beat us if we keep turning the puck over. Colorado can beat us because their speed can be problematic for us. Arizona has always been a thorn. I think Minnesota is their best matchup but that team even with them not looking to win from a management's perspective is still very competitive and Dubnyk can get really hot for stretches.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I just worry about their play quality. I don't care about their place in the standings. Vegas is inconsistent and Fleury is going to be overworked by the time the playoffs start, imo. Dallas can beat us if we keep turning the puck over. Colorado can beat us because their speed can be problematic for us. Arizona has always been a thorn. I think Minnesota is their best matchup but that team even with them not looking to win from a management's perspective is still very competitive and Dubnyk can get really hot for stretches.
Oh absolutely. I think a healthy Sharks team playing the defense first style and being opportunistic about offense can beat ANY team in the West over a 7 game series. Even home-ice is not always a huge factor as our SC run showed.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Flames on a back to back tomorrow against a hot Arizona team. Here's to hoping we are 1 point back tomorrow night with a game in hand. Winning the Pacific is looking more and more important.

Also off topic, but NHL Network was just talking about Norris favorites. They picked Giordano, and here were the reasons...

1. He's old.
2. He "shares" his minutes well.
3. He has more PIM
4. He was the favorite 5 years ago but got hurt

You may think I'm kidding, but sadly I am not. Those were seriously the main reasons given on why he should win, "even though Burns has more points and is a better offensive player."

You just know they are going to give Giordano the lifetime achievement award and Burns will be robbed. The only hope is if the Sharks pass the Flames in the standings more voters will realize he is the clear cut pick for the Norris.

f***in lol at more PIMs being a good thing for a guy who barely has one fight this season. Giordano has taken 26 minor penalties and Burns has taken 8, you’d have to be a real moron to think that is a good thing in favor of Giordano. :help:

I do think Giordano has a case for the Norris but not for those ridiculous reasons. Giordano’s case is that he plays tougher minutes and is better defensively but that isn’t enough to offset Burns’ offensive performance IMO.

I didn't say that they'd be the favorites. I said that they'd lose to them in a playoff series. Those are not the same things.

Dallas owns Calgary this year. With their defense and goaltending, I think they'd shut down Calgary who is pretty shallow up front and I think would get worn out against such a team in a playoff series.

All the Colorado games have gone in Calgary's favor but were all close contests. Colorado is a similar team to Calgary up front being mostly tied to a handful of producers and not much else but I'd have more confidence in Colorado's goaltending than Calgary's.

The Arizona one is more of a hunch based on how they've been playing lately. During the season series, Calgary has owned the Coyotes but they've also not played against the same goalie twice in this series. They played against Raanta the night he got hurt. They played against Hill who is back in the AHL. They played against Pickard the last time who is barely an NHL backup. Tonight, they'll likely play against Kuemper who is having a very solid year for them. Kuemper's the kind of goalie playing on the kind of team that can definitely get hot come playoff time and shut them down as well. But like I said, that one is more winnable for Calgary because of their high-end talent compared to Arizona's lack of such things.

Okay, well the first point is semantics. You know what I meant.

After reading your post, I think Calgary has a better shot at losing those series than I did before but it’s still nowhere near enough for me to declare Calgary the definite winner for any of them. You’re ignoring that Calgary has a far better defensive core than Dallas or Colorado and you’re also ignoring that Calgary has 4 first line forwards and 5 top-6 forwards. That’s much better than Dallas who has 3 first line forwards and 3 top-6 forwards, Colorado who has 3 first line forwards and 4 top-6 forwards, or Arizona who has 1 first line forward and 3 top-6 forwards. Calgary definitely made a mistake by not upgrading on Michael Frolik as their 2nd line RW but Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik is still miles better than whatever Colorado or Dallas can match up against them.

I also don’t think regular season series means that much. Last year New Jersey swept Tampa Bay in the season series and then got destroyed by them in the playoffs. For the same reason, I don’t agree with @ChompChomp that Dallas should be a worry at all. As PF mentioned, the Sharks will only lose to them if they beat themselves and don’t clamp down on the team defense. They’re a much better team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad