GDT: 2018-19 Other Games Around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Sorry did not see one of these yet for this year.

Anyways, wanted to talk about EDM and VGK for a sec. One I think people are sleeping on EDM. No I do not think they are some great team, but based on the end of last year, and McDavid's first pre season game last night, he scares the pee right out of me.

He looked in mid season form already last night, and god help everyone if he and Rattie continue to have chemistry. That line had 5 goals and 11 pts last night. Yes I know there are glaring holes still on that team, but if McDavid's line can get like 2 goals a night, that makes the job for the rest of the team much easier.

For VGK, even though it was just one game, their top line appears to have not been a fluke. I think the Pacific will be stronger then people have been giving it credit for. Thankfully we got some extra fire power this off season.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Edmonton will still have to overcome the tmac effect. Hes not terrible, but he is regressive. You can probably pencil in 100 pts for mcdavid, though.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
McDavid honestly terrifies me. I’m entirely convinced that he is the best player since Mario Lemieux and that as soon as he plays for a decent team, he will explode.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
When they got Mclellan all I remember saying is "Oh thank God." That guy does not know how to prepare for the playoffs. Talbot is in his 4th episode of Saw, he's being ridden hard. Just like he did to "Nemo" season after season. The best we can hope for is the oilers do well enough for him to not get fired. As long as Mclellan is head coach I don't consider them a cup threat AND if we started playing them consecutively in the playoffs, in one of those occasions id put $$ down sharks embarrass them, whether its a sweep or reverse sweep. It's totally reminiscent of mclellan vs Sutter.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Yes we did do that, yes that is good, what point are you getting at?

What, did my totally vague response not make it clear?!

I think I just meant that I still feel pretty good about our chances, with the way even our farm depth is playing. We’ve had a great pre-season showing without most of our high end guys playing.

McDavid is godly, but I still think that team has far too many holes to keep up.

Vegas is tough, but I think with Karlsson and a healthy Joe, we’re better. They’ll give us a run for our money though.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I think I just meant that I still feel pretty good about our chances, with the way even our farm depth is playing. We’ve had a great pre-season showing without most of our high end guys playing.

McDavid is godly, but I still think that team has far too many holes to keep up.

Vegas is tough, but I think with Karlsson and a healthy Joe, were better. They’ll give us a run for our money though.
I think Vegas is better than last year but we took them to 6 games without Joe and a banged up Kane. I think just having Karlsson alone puts us at par with them. I think a lot will come down to that 3C position. If Suomela plays as well as we hope he does, I think we can be really good.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I think Vegas is better than last year but we took them to 6 games without Joe and a banged up Kane. I think just having Karlsson alone puts us at par with them. I think a lot will come down to that 3C position. If Suomela plays as well as we hope he does, I think we can be really good.

Yeah, I feel the same way. It heartens me that we genuinely have pieces that can be dealt for a good 3C in Braun (or Dillon), if we’re faltering there.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

Vegas is tough, but I think with Karlsson and a healthy Joe, we’re better. They’ll give us a run for our money though.

LMAO yeah crystal clear :sarcasm:

Oh I totally agree. I was not saying I think EDM is somehow better then us, or necessarily a threat to keep us from the playoffs. So I fully agree we are still primed for a great season.

McDavid really is godly, and just from one preseason game it appears his passing is already on point, and his goal in that game was disgusting. Edm has too many holes to be a cup contender, but they may be able to sneak into the playoffs on his back. Something a lot of posters disagree with.

Vegas will be tough, I agree though, we are still the ones to beat in the Pacific. My OP was merely more to point out that I think a lot of people are writing off the Pacific as some trash division, that will just be a point farming division for the rest of the league, minus the Sharks and VGK/ANA depending on who you ask.

Whereas I think EDM, CGY and even ARI have the potential to make that thought a mistake, and surprise some people. Only Van in our division seems to be solidly in the terrible category, but they are gunna be better fast with some of the prospects they have.

McDavid honestly terrifies me. I’m entirely convinced that he is the best player since Mario Lemieux and that as soon as he plays for a decent team, he will explode.

Yes yes and more yes.

The only thing ill add is that I don't think he needs a decent team to explode, but just one gosh darn linemate that actually can capitalize on what McDavid creates. So far no one has been able to, expect Drai sorta, so that is why his connection with Rattie really scares me. I hope I am wrong though, and Rattie is just getting super lucky and will fall off a cliff and be terrible like everyone else has been on McDavids wing.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It’s absolutely mind-boggling that Leafs fans think Morgan Rielly is a #1D. He’s an utter train wreck in his own zone, worse than Burns, and his offense isn’t good enough to make up for that. He’s a low-end #2D and he’s gonna get his teeth kicked in this year.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
It’s absolutely mind-boggling that Leafs fans think Morgan Rielly is a #1D. He’s an utter train wreck in his own zone, worse than Burns, and his offense isn’t good enough to make up for that. He’s a low-end #2D and he’s gonna get his teeth kicked in this year.

Well according to a thread on the main boards, it wont matter, because they will have the best PP ever in the history of the NHL, so who needs defense when you can just score 10 goals a night. Amirite?

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
So as we're currently built, which teams do you guys think are better than us coming from the west? I'd say right now the rankings would look sorta something like this
Jets
Sharks/Preds
Knights
Blues

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So as we're currently built, which teams do you guys think are better than us coming from the west? I'd say right now the rankings would look sorta something like this
Jets
Sharks/Preds
Knights
Blues

Nobody is better but some are built differently and have different strengths. Nobody can match Karlsson and Burns and they are game breakers. Just my opinion though.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Jets
Sharks/Preds
Knights
Blues

Honestly, I don’t think the Golden Knights or the Blues are on the same level as the other 3.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
weren't people projecting him to be on team canada had the olympics included NHLers? I'm very sure i read that and was quite surprised

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
So I’ve noticed that some analytics guys on twitter, who just happen to also be Leafs fans, are bragging about the way the Leafs are playing/dominating in the preseason. Well, the Leafs have played 7 of 8 preseason games so far, 2 against Ottawa, 2 against Montreal, 2 against Buffalo and the 1st of 2 against Detroit. Talk a murderer’s row of opponents.

Reactions: Sandisfan

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
So I’ve noticed that some analytics guys on twitter, who just happen to also be Leafs fans, are bragging about the way the Leafs are playing/dominating in the preseason. Well, the Leafs have played 7 of 8 preseason games so far, 2 against Ottawa, 2 against Montreal, 2 against Buffalo and the 1st of 2 against Detroit. Talk a murderer’s row of opponents.

Well it's leafs fans,....so par for the course with them

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

:laugh: And the Leafs have played their big guns a lot against kids trying to make the Sabres.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad