GDT: 2018-19 Other Games Around the League (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Not being able to review delay of games is so stupid, even if they did get it right. The main argument was that reviews "slow the game down".
They are spending 2-3 minutes discussing what they saw, when looking at the replay would end the discussion in 5 seconds...

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Nice choke Dallas. Hopefully STL wins the next one and takes a stranglehold on that series.

I'd rather face Dallas if we win this series. STL is the better team and has the hot goalie, which historically we suck against. Blues will also be crazy motivated to not only get revenge on us, but to make history (last place -> cup final).

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I'd rather face Dallas if we win this series. STL is the better team and has the hot goalie, which historically we suck against. Blues will also be crazy motivated to not only get revenge on us, but to make history (last place -> cup final).

That's nice. You can rather face Dallas, and I can rather not face the only team in the entire National Hockey League where the Sharks haven't won a road game since Peter DeBoer took over the Sharks bench in the Summer of 2015.

You can rather face Dallas, and I can rather not face the team where the Sharks are 0-6-0 in their building since the last win there in Feb 2015 and in those six games, had a lead for only about 20 minutes in the last meeting in Dec 2018....until Roman Polak scored on the Sharks.

You can rather face Dallas, and I can rather not face the team that the Sharks played three times in calendar year 2017 in their building and were outscored by a combined margin 13-1. (Side note: I was there for all those games. Wasn't pretty or fun.)

You can rather face Dallas, and I can rather not expect a Sharks Cup run to exorcise both the Vegas demons and the franchise long Dallas demons.

You can rather Dallas, and I can say I'd rather never ever attend another Sharks playoff game in person if it meant the Cup without having the tempt the fate of playing another playoff game in Dallas.

And yes, I know we'd have home ice, but the Sharks have dropped a home game in both rounds so far, so we can't just expect to rely on winning home games. Gotta win on the road to win a Cup. And literally the only place we haven't won on the road in the PDB era is Dallas. So yeah, I'm gonna hope Dallas gets blown out in Games 4 and 5 and Seguin can go play golf with Wild Bill.

Reactions: tiburon12

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
No way. Both teams are tough. We should root for 7 games and lots of OT. Too bad Dallas ****ed up today and didn't get to OT.

It's funny how those things never work out. In 2010, we had home ice and 8 days rest for the WCF against the Hawks and got swept right out of the playoffs. And before you give me a lecture about the cap circumvention Hawks and how they were a super team, it's worth noting that the Preds went into Chicago that year in the first playoff game and stole a game (and really should have held on to beat them in Game 5), yet the well rested #1 seed Sharks could even get that 1 against the Hawks.

Not to mention the Sharks were dead tired after Vegas this year, and the Avs were well rested, but Sharks still took game 1. The "I hope the other team is tired" mantra doesn't seem to mean much IMHO.

Last edited:

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
That's nice. You can rather face Dallas, and I can rather not face the only team in the entire National Hockey League where the Sharks haven't won a road game since Peter DeBoer took over the Sharks bench in the Summer of 2015.

You can rather face Dallas, and I can rather not face the team where the Sharks are 0-6-0 in their building since the last win there in Feb 2015 and in those six games, had a lead for only about 20 minutes in the last meeting in Dec 2018....until Roman Polak scored on the Sharks.

You can rather face Dallas, and I can rather not face the team that the Sharks played three times in calendar year 2017 in their building and were outscored by a combined margin 13-1. (Side note: I was there for all those games. Wasn't pretty or fun.)

You can rather face Dallas, and I can rather not expect a Sharks Cup run to exorcise both the Vegas demons and the franchise long Dallas demons.

You can rather Dallas, and I can say I'd rather never ever attend another Sharks playoff game in person if it meant the Cup without having the tempt the fate of playing another playoff game in Dallas.

And yes, I know we'd have home ice, but the Sharks have dropped a home game in both rounds so far, so we can't just expect to rely on winning home games. Gotta win on the road to win a Cup. And literally the only place we haven't won on the road in the PDB era is Dallas. So yeah, I'm gonna hope Dallas gets blown out in Games 4 and 5 and Seguin can go play golf with Wild Bill.

A+ :clap::clap:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Colorado hadn't won in San Jose since like 2015. Look what happened.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Colorado hadn't won in San Jose since like 2015. Look what happened.

Sharks have one win in Dallas all time in the playoffs in franchise history. One, and it was Game 4 after going down 3-0 to the Stars in 2008. Even Colorado with their woes in SJ have more than one win in SJ during the playoffs in the past two decades (and I mean before Game 2 of this series).

Side note: Dallas is the site of some painful playoff losses for Sharks. 98, Game 5: The Kerry Frazier screwjob. Sharks lose 2-1, but both Dallas goals should have been disallowed for violation of the then "in the crease" rule. 08, Game 6: Nuff said.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sharks have one win in Dallas all time in the playoffs in franchise history. One, and it was Game 4 after going down 3-0 to the Stars in 2008. Even Colorado with their woes in SJ have more than one win in SJ during the playoffs in the past two decades (and I mean before Game 2 of this series).

Side note: Dallas is the site of some painful playoff losses for Sharks. 98, Game 5: The Kerry Frazier screwjob. Sharks lose 2-1, but both Dallas goals should have been disallowed for violation of the then "in the crease" rule. 08, Game 6: Nuff said.

All that stuff is distant past. Whether they win or lose against Dallas in Dallas has nothing to do with any of that stuff. That's all just superstitious stuff thinking that that stuff means anything now.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
All that stuff is distant past. Whether they win or lose against Dallas in Dallas has nothing to do with any of that stuff. That's all just superstitious stuff thinking that that stuff means anything now.

If you believe that, fine. But one win EVER in Dallas in the playoffs + 0-6-0 in the last six in Dallas (all in PDB era), most of those lopsided losses, means something. Especially the 0-6-0 part and in those six games, only holding a lead for 20 minutes, which was the last game in Dec 2018. I mean, how is it that there isn't an East team that the PDB era Sharks haven't beaten on the road? They are a much smaller sample size.

I guess you'll say statistical fluke. Or maybe scheduling quirk. But having been to all but one of those games in the 0-6-0 stretch, it appears the PDB Sharks just don't match up well with the Dallas Stars and for some reason, the ice feels tilted in Dallas.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If you believe that, fine. But one win EVER in Dallas in the playoffs + 0-6-0 in the last six in Dallas (all in PDB era), most of those lopsided losses, means something. Especially the 0-6-0 part and in those six games, only holding a lead for 20 minutes, which was the last game in Dec 2018. I mean, how is it that there isn't an East team that the PDB era Sharks haven't beaten on the road? They are a much smaller sample size.

I guess you'll say statistical fluke. Or maybe scheduling quirk. But having been to all but one of those games in the 0-6-0 stretch, it appears the PDB Sharks just don't match up well with the Dallas Stars and for some reason, the ice feels tilted in Dallas.

Does it mean something though? The most recent game in Dallas was December 7. A game that they played better than the Stars for long stretches of that game and got a huge game from Ben Bishop and a disallowed goal. Dallas scores on them through breakdowns that this team looks like is not allowing to the same degree that they were at that time.

I'm just saying that it isn't as dire as you think it is. The playoffs are a different animal. The teams are different than what they were on both sides. Dallas may very well beat the Sharks in a series but so can Colorado and so can St. Louis. If they lose, it's not because of how regular season games or playoff games from decades past went. I think I'd prefer to play the Blues between the two teams but Dallas isn't some behemoth that suffocates the Sharks giving them nothing that they have no hope against. They're a damn good team that has weaknesses like all teams do that the Sharks can exploit if they execute properly and plan appropriately. Any team with Roman Polak as their 4th most played d-man is vulnerable.

I would certainly listen to any argument based on how they match up. There are valid points to be made there but it's not losses from the regular season or playoffs gone by. That has no relevance to now.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Think about this. Either the Sharks have been on the bad end of some variance, or Dallas for some reason is a geographical challenge for the Sharks. I mean, the fact is that the Sharks have played numerous different Dallas teams in their franchise history...the only thing shared between those teams is the team names!

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Could be a turning point in this game. Boston kills it off and it gives them tremendous confidence. But, Colombus scores and it validates all their chances.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
So, like, "continuous play" is a new one for me. Didn't know the intent-to-blow rule could be nullified.
It's an interesting interpretation of the rule. In this case it was definitely the right call. Seems like if nobody touched the puck after the whistle, and it was still in motion, then it should count. This begs the question though, what if the whistle stops the play and the goalie hesitates or gives up on the play? Also, what about the dreaded "intent to blow" call?

Reactions: slocal

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
It's an interesting interpretation of the rule. In this case it was definitely the right call. Seems like if nobody touched the puck after the whistle, and it was still in motion, then it should count. This begs the question though, what if the whistle stops the play and the goalie hesitates or gives up on the play? Also, what about the dreaded "intent to blow" call?

Yeah, I agree with the outcome, but am very interested to read the full explanation. Seems like it was pulled out of the air, but I am by no means a rule-reader.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad