2018-19 NHL TV ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
NHL playoff ratings have increased 20+ percent since the 2016 playoffs, even with small Canadian markets like Ottawa & Winnipeg, as well as non-traditional Nashville & Tampa, making deep runs. That's what NBC cares about. Regular season ratings are down across all leagues, aside from the NFL, I don't see the big deal here.

That's conventional wisdom but not entirely true in a vast scope sports TV numbers are lower that 10-15 yrs ago. IIRC NFL numbers are up this year, NBA was up last year, MLB was a mixed bag this past year, and MLS has trended up for six straight seasons. So things are kinda status quo some up some down. But it's been far too easy to dismiss NHL regular season down turn to everything is down. Others have mentioned make the game more physical again, however in the CTE era can you really do that? Smh it's so crazy though with sports like boxing and MMA/UFC that it's just accepted that they'll be violent sports. I do hope something changes though. You can't keep up hemorrhaging regular season viewers and just rely on the Playoffs to make things even. I think the best way is to up the amount of games on NBC to 20-30 gms a year really get the casual fans able to see more NHL again. If NBC can air 20-30 EPL games a season then they can and should do the same for NHL. You see other leagues like MLB going back to Broadcast TV airing more games on FOX to increase exposure again in hopes of gaining new fans similar. MLB had a lot of success on FOX with that strategy in the 90s.

Last edited:

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Point. Stanley Cup playoffs ratings destroy soccer ratings (EPL, Liga MX) in USA.

Btw. eddygee is wrong...again:

"The complete Stanley Cup Playoffs 2018 (without Final) has averaged 1.21 million TV+streaming viewers through three rounds, up 7% from last year (1.13M) and the highest average since 1997 (1.24M)."

Caps-Lightning Game 7 Down, But Playoffs at 21-Year High

Haha at wrong again you can't be serious and I definitely wasn't wrong before either. You conflate a point in a debate and stick with it even if it has no bearing on the result the other person rightly makes in a argument. Even if the overall point is right and they are right in 75% you claim they are wrong because you got a piece right just stop the non sense. I said EPL had higher REGULAR SEASON ratings which is true, you are bringing up something I never said. Now The tweet was sent out the morning before game 7, my post was from NBC Sports PR twitter account. The ratings chart I posted while it's from wikipedia it is SOURCED, I was using that to compare Stanley Cup Finals 2013 and 2015 seasons had bigger TV audiences. The playoffs as a whole being up to a 21 yr high is technically true but you're talking 80k difference from being up from the 16-17 playoffs and a 30k difference from being up from the 97' playoffs and that includes streaming averaged in TAD Total Audience Delivery.

"The complete Stanley Cup Playoffs has averaged 1.21 million TV+streaming viewers through three rounds, up 7% from last year (1.13M) and the highest average since 1997 (1.24M)
."

Which gets me back to the point I made in our earlier discussion the other day where I called you out for once again cherry picking stats when we were talking MLS Finals numbers. I said you'll use NHL TAD Total Delivery Audience that includes streaming etc in NHL Regular and Post season TV viewership average number, but then turn around and say we shouldn't use MLS out of home viewing numbers ESPN uses for MLS. and ESPN said MLS combined with linear TV viewership for MLS this year was up 13% on ESPN from 2017 261k average while linear TV average was 241k. You insisted on just going with that number and not trying to guage the true audience size ESPN in facts state they use from the new Nielsen system.
MLSSBDJ Capture.JPG

https://www.multichannel.com/news/espn-finds-viewership-grows-total-live-audience-metric-416971
"ESPN said its move to using Nielsen Total Live Audience Measurement has added a significant number of streaming and out-of-home viewers to its ratings, including a good number of millennials.

After seven weeks of employing the new system, ESPN said, its millennial audience is up 23% in total day and 28% in primetime, compared with traditional ratings.

Overall, ESPN’s viewing is up 4% in total day and 13% in prime time.

The move to total live audience is important to ESPN, which has been losing traditional pay TV subscribers, resulting in slower revenue growth and hundreds of layoffs as the network tries to adjust to changing viewer consumption patterns."

Look the point was that the Olympics were the reason for NBCSN getting the number 2 spot. As ForumNamePending also pointed out noting that regular season ratings have been down so really it's a wash that Playoff Ratings have been up on a 21 yr high a increase of 80k additional viewers from 2017-18 but 30k short in 2018 (1.21m ) from 21 yr high in 1997 (1.24m). This whole silly debate was just pointing out a honest assessment that the Olympics were the driver in NBCSN gains. Paging Captain Obvious.

Attachments

• SC FINALS Capture.JPG
    SC FINALS Capture.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
No agenda at all stop being so thin skinned and apetty.. I'm no Euro Fan boy at all and I'm not a Premier league diehard but EPL regular season ratings have been higher on NBC Sports TV than NHL regular season year to year. This is a easily proven claim. https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv...ion-of-the-Premier-League-in-2017-18-20180517. I'm just providing analysis take it or leave it believe it or don't. You also missed the point where I said "MAINLY the Olympics had more to do with NBCSN taking over the spot this year honestly." Stanley Cup Playoffs have been on NBCSN for a while and if they were the main catalyst of the NBCSN taking the #2 spot in 2018 arguably they've would've put NBCSN into the #2 position long ago as Stanley Cup ratings have been much higher in recent years . The ratings were up this year on NBCSN leading up to the Stanley Cup Finals but they were not the highest, 2013 and 2015 Stanley Cup Finals were the highest rated Stanley Cup Finals ever in modern cable.
View attachment 166799 View attachment 166801

I was just saying if we are going to give the NHL the credit for it we should def include and give EPL some credit as they have higher regular season numbers on NBCSN. Also as I type this I'm kinda arguing against my give EPL point but further strengthening my overall it was the Olympics point. The 2015-16 EPL season was the highest rated EPL season ever on NBC Sports group averaging 518k. So you'd think having one of the highest rated EPL seasons combined with the second highest rated Stanley Cup Final in modern times would've gotten NBCSN the #2 spot in 2015. Don't be so quick to be a homer before making incorrect claims about others and look at the actual stats. I'm just adding analytics and stats to the discussion and not just going by feel goods so sorry if you don't appreciate having stats brought into a conversation to form a hypothesis.
The Olympics had more to do with it, but if it makes you feel better I'll take the EPL bit out of my statement. It will be interesting to see this list next year.
You can keep saying you don't have an agenda, but you clearly do and it keeps making you wrong 100% every time you post. Nobody in the USA gives a damn about the MLS, and the football fans in America rather watch and follow a EPL team instead.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
You can keep saying you don't have an agenda, but you clearly do and it keeps making you wrong 100% every time you post. Nobody in the USA gives a damn about the MLS, and the football fans in America rather watch and follow a EPL team instead.

Lol yeah ok pal you're trying so hard to create this agenda thing . You think if you keep saying it enough it will become so. Truth is you are just being thinned skinned and wish I wouldn't comment on things. I've seen you trolling some of my post over the year. You can't make people think like you do or say what you want them to say. That's the ONLY AGENDA here. Stop being so thinned skinned and stop whining and getting mad because I may post a data set doesn't fit your liking.

You are adding no substance to this thread right now besides trying to troll me which clearly isn't working . We clearly disagree so move along. Either add substance to the discussion or don't respond to my post since you are so bothered. Idk don't really care besides replying back. I will keep posting and adding substance or my opinion to the discussion in this thread. So deal with it.

Last edited:

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Do you have anything that clarifies the "13% uptick" statement the article you keep referencing makes and you are basing your viewership assumption on? Because I'm reading that in a totally different way. I don't read that as saying "Once you factor in out-of-home numbers MLS veiwership was actually up 13% over '17". I read that as "On average anything ESPN broadcasts will have an additional 13% viewing out-of-home"... So something that drew an audience of a million people may have an additional ~130,000 out-of-home viewers. Or in the case of MLS, in addition to the 241,000 "traditional" viewers there may have been another another ~31,000 out-of-home viewers.

Coinneach

Feb 1, 2014
Czech Republic
Do you have anything that clarifies the "13% uptick" statement the article you keep referencing makes and you are basing your viewership assumption on? Because I'm reading that in a totally different way. I don't read that as saying "Once you factor in out-of-home numbers MLS veiwership was actually up 13% over '17". I read that as "On average anything ESPN broadcasts will have an additional 13% viewing out-of-home"... So something that drew an audience of a million people may have an additional ~130,000 out-of-home viewers. Or in the case of MLS, in addition to the 241,000 "traditional" viewers there may have been another another ~31,000 out-of-home viewers.

But he is totally wrong. He mixed up "streaming numbers" of NHL with "out of home audience" of MLS. Two different Nielsen categories.

MLS cable ratings were way down this year. You can find better sources than eddygee.

BTW this guy believes in ESPN conspiracy against MLS:

"Alot of their guys are old guard and still remember and wish the NHL was more prevalent those are the guys that MLS is fighting guys like John Buccisgross, John Anderson the ones that purposefully try to sound awkward when they do MLS or soccer highlights."

"They're probably is the reality too with the media production chiefs at ESPN of somewhere along the lines that "well if we recognize there's a Big 5 then we'll have to contend with charges of bias/sexism against the WNBA"

The 2018 MLS TV Thread

Please stop this conversation. This is NHL forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
But he is totally wrong. He mixed up "streaming numbers" of NHL with "out of home audience" of MLS. Two different Nielsen categories.

Well that too... But the fact he is making an assumption (that could be incorrect) based on a unclear statement is also a problem.

All what we know for sure is that based on the numbers actually reported and published in that article, which is an apples-to-apples comparison between 2017 and 2018, MLS viewership on ESPN was down this year. Anything more than that, as far as I can tell, is just eddygee making an unverified claim.

MLS cable ratings were way down this year. You can find better sources than eddygee.

"Alot of their guys are old guard and still remember and wish the NHL was more prevalent those are the guys that MLS is fighting guys like John Buccisgross, John Anderson the ones that purposefully try to sound awkward when they do MLS or soccer highlights."

"They're probably is the reality too with the media production chiefs at ESPN of somewhere along the lines that "well if we recognize there's a Big 5 then we'll have to contend with charges of bias/sexism against the WNBA"

The 2018 MLS TV Thread

Ya... I stumbled across that when I noticed one of the sources in the wikipedia article for MLS TV ratings is *actually* that very thread where non other than eddygee is basically posting all the same stuff he is posting here. Even for wikipedia I don't think unverified claims based on wonky speculation posted on a internet message board is a valid source.:dunno:

Last edited:

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018

The 2018 MLS TV Thread

If that's the case don't bring up MLS which you keep doing go back all of my post are you bringing up comparisons.

"MLS cable ratings were way down this year. You can find better sources than eddygee."
Verifiably false statement yet you keep proving yourself to ANYONE who wants to find the TRUTH to be a person who makes up and cherry picks information.
MLS TV ratings.JPG

Last edited:

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Well that too... But the fact he is making an assumption (that could be incorrect) based on a unclear statement is also a problem.

All what we know for sure is that based on the numbers actually reported and published in that article, which is an apples-to-apples comparison between 2017 and 2018, MLS viewership on ESPN was down this year. Anything more than that, as far as I can tell, is just eddygee making an unverified claim.

Ya... I stumbled across that when I noticed one of the sources in the wikipedia article for MLS TV ratings is *actually* that very thread where non other than eddygee is basically posting all the same stuff he is posting here. Even for wikipedia I don't think unverified claims based on wonky speculation posted on a internet message board is a valid source.:dunno:

The thread he links he also post in so be careful taking his word heis post name in that thread is @DanielCzech. I'm omw to work but will respond to what you asked me later. My numbers are solid btw. I only post MLS stuff in response to people like @coineach who bring it up constantly as some sort of comparison go back and read this thread you'll find this statement to be true.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018

MLS Regular-Season Viewership Up For Fox Sports, Down On ESPN

Again Numbers were Up don't believe @ coineeach he makes up and cherry picks info. I tell it like it is.
We agree there, but the linear number on ESPN was down MLS also airs on Univision Networks and FOX networks where the Cable ratings were up hence the Overall Cable average rose. Not sure why this is so hard. I don't think it is but some people wanted to claim ignorance. As far as the wikipedia post thats great someone sourced me on to wikipedia lol. If you go back in look at the MLS source info on wikipedia they often use Bigsoccer.com source info for ages. I can assure you the info posted on that Forum that me and @coinneach(DanielCzech) posting over there is all legitimate sources. I'll stop mentioning MLS in this thread when he does. He likes trying use MLS as a comparison on here to prop up NHL numbers. I'm a fan of both leagues and have stated before I post on both forums I've mentioned it on that forum so no big secret there.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012

Again Numbers were Up don't believe @ coineeach he makes up and cherry picks info. I tell it like it is.
We agree there, but the linear number on ESPN was down MLS also airs on Univision Networks and FOX networks where the Cable ratings were up hence the Overall Cable average rose. Not sure why this is so hard. I don't think it is but some people wanted to claim ignorance.

This seems like moving the goal posts. Was anyone actually talking about Spanish viewership? People were raising legit questions about your (up to this point) wonky claim that viewership was up 13% on ESPN. If Spanish viewership is up that's great for MLS, but based on any legit info we have English viewership took a hit this year.

If ESPN was up 13% this year somewhere out there should exist an article, not to mention a PR from ESPN and/or MLS, clearly stating so. I don't need to see some sort of "Charlie Kelly working in the mail room" theory on why ESPN's MLS numbers are being under reported by such a substantial margin.

As far as the wikipedia post thats great someone sourced me on to wikipedia lol. If you go back in look at the MLS source info on wikipedia they often use Bigsoccer.com source info for ages.

If people are citing unfounded claims made on internet message boards as a source on wikipedia that isn't "great", it's actually kind of bad.

I'll stop mentioning MLS in this thread when he does. He likes trying use MLS as a comparison on here to prop up NHL numbers. I'm a fan of both leagues and have stated before I post on both forums I've mentioned it on that forum so no big secret there.

People in this thread make all sorts of comparisons between the NHL and other leagues, including the NHL getting crushed 40-fold by Football. Pretty much the only comparisons that morph into an additional 3 pages of posts are ones made with MLS and I think it's pretty obvious why. I mean when you first started posting here your MO was trying to convince/lecture hockey fans on how MLS is pretty much on equal footing to the NHL as a business and TV property.

Anyway... This is all getting pretty tedious, so I'm out.

Last edited:

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018

Again MLS Cable Numbers were Up don't believe @Coinneach each he makes up and cherry picks info. I tell it like it is.
We agree there, but the linear number on ESPN was down but MLS also airs on Univision Networks and FOX networks where the Cable ratings were up hence MLS overall Cable average being up for the 6th straight year. Not sure why this is so hard too understand.

I don't think it is but some people want to claim ignorance. As far as the wikipedia thats great someone sourced Bigsoccer on to wikipedia lol we post good info on that site. If you go back in look at the MLS source info on wikipedia they often use Bigsoccer.com sources and have for years. I can assure you the info posted on that Forum comes from all legitmate sources.

(Back Story)
@Coinneach (who's handle DanielCzech on Big Soccer) post in that forum. He also has a twitter handle where he does this same shtick of trying to boost NHL's image up by comparing it to MLS and bashing that league to make people himself feel better.
I noticed him because I was a longtime reader and lurker on this forum since 2013. As a fan of both leagues I took exception.
@CoinneachCapture.JPG@Coinneach2Capture.JPG @coinneach3Capture.JPG

I decided earlier this year to open a account and join the discussion after I noticed him posting on this forum constantly doing the same shtick he does over on Big Soccer. He'd only post over there if MLS had a lowly rated game, he just add the rating and a snarky comment, he never really added anything to the discussion just sorta troll like behavior. I called him out on it over there saying basically who are you fooling I know who you are because I frequent that other board you post on.

I'll stop mentioning MLS in this thread when he does. He likes trying to use MLS as a comparison on here to prop up NHL numbers. As NHL fans we shouldn't be insecure and worried about MLS. You can like both leagues and appreciate them as I do. NHL has solid playoff numbers and revenues MLS would kill for. NHL however has a big issues, a rapidly aging fan base and Regular season numbers that keep declining overall.
The thing that seems to be prevalent with a handful of posters over here is the need to prop NHL numbers up and feel validation by taking pock shots at MLS. As a MLS fan I'm gonna comment to that. I don't go on here bringing up MLS randomly out of nowhere it's normally when a poster usually @Coinneach brings it up in one of his comparison post.

Last edited:

Coinneach

Feb 1, 2014
Czech Republic

Again MLS Cable Numbers were Up don't believe @Coinneach each he makes up and cherry picks info. I tell it like it is.
We agree there, but the linear number on ESPN was down but MLS also airs on Univision Networks and FOX networks where the Cable ratings were up hence MLS overall Cable average being up for the 6th straight year. Not sure why this is so hard too understand.

I don't think it is but some people want to claim ignorance. As far as the wikipedia thats great someone sourced Bigsoccer on to wikipedia lol we post good info on that site. If you go back in look at the MLS source info on wikipedia they often use Bigsoccer.com sources and have for years. I can assure you the info posted on that Forum comes from all legitmate sources.

(Back Story)
@Coinneach (who's handle DanielCzech on Big Soccer) post in that forum. He also has a twitter handle where he does this same shtick of trying to boost NHL up by comparing it and bashing MLS.
I noticed him because I was a longtime reader and lurker on this forum since 2013. As a fan of both leagues took exception.
View attachment 167155View attachment 167159 View attachment 167161

I decided earlier this year to open a account after I noticed him posting on this forum constantly doing the same then posting over on Big Soccer, he'd only post over there say if MLS had a lowly rated game he just add the rating and a snarky comment, he never really added anything to the discussion just sorta troll like behavior. I called him out on it over there saying basically who are you fooling I know who you are because I frequent that other board you post on.

I'll stop mentioning MLS in this thread when he does. He likes trying to use MLS as a comparison on here to prop up NHL numbers. As NHL fans we shouldn't be insecure and worried about MLS. You can like both leagues and appreciate them as I do. NHL has solid playoff numbers numbers and revenues MLS would kill for. NHL however has a big issues a rapidly aging fan base and Regular season numbers that keep declining overall.
The thing that seems to be prevalent with a handful of posters over here is the need to prop NHL numbers up and feel validation by taking pock shots at MLS. As a MLS fan too I'm gonna comment to that. I don't go on here bringing up MLS it's normally when a poster usually @Coinneach brings it up in one of his comparison post.
:help:

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
This seems like moving the goal posts. Was anyone actually talking about Spanish viewership? People were raising legit questions about your (up to this point) wonky claim that viewership was up 13% on ESPN.

If ESPN was up 13% this year somewhere out there should exist an article, not to mention a PR from ESPN and/or MLS, clearly stating so. I don't need to see some sort of "Charlie Kelly working in the mail room" theory on why ESPN's MLS numbers are being under reported by such a substantial margin.

If people are citing unfounded claims made on internet message boards as a source on wikipedia that isn't "great", it's actually kind of bad.

People in this thread make all sorts of comparisons between the NHL and other leagues, including the NHL getting crushed 40-fold by Football. Pretty much the only comparisons that morph into an additional 3 pages of posts are ones made with MLS and I think it's pretty obvious why. I mean when you first started posting here your MO was trying to convince/lecture hockey fans on how MLS is pretty much on equal footing to the NHL as a business and TV property.

No goal post are being moved this conversation is about two things

1. @Coinneach asserting MLS TV ratings were down. WRONG he falsely made this claim a few pages ago. I mentioned the US Univision numbers because those numbers along with FOX networks and ESPN make up the US MLS TV cable numbers

2. @Coinneach continued to try to make a point by telling me I wasn't making a apples to apples comparison when I replied to his post. I added the caveat that the SBD article stated while ESPN linear TV#s were down for MLS, MLS ratings on ESPN were up 13% once Out of Home Viewership was included. I said his ratings comparisons wasn't apples to apples, because he's using NBC's NHL TAD number( Total Audience Delivery) and trying to compare it to just ESPN's MLS linear TV avg. all the while he NHL number includes more than just linear tv. ESPN uses something similar to TAD, the Nielsen Total Live Audience Measurement number which includes streaming and out-of-home viewers. The the article linked clearly provided one of these sets of data.

The numbers on wikipedia are sourced from things like the article I linked from Sports Business Daily. No one is using the info solely from Bigsoccer and going just off of that. They are using and sourcing part of their info from Big Soccer because it's compiled data, a one stop source and is the biggest soccer source of info on the internet hence the name Big Soccer. Haha that sites been around for ages.

I linked and posted the article before but here it is again below it's from Sports Business Daily/Journal.

"ESPN and ESPN2 in '18 had their lowest audience for MLS games since '14, as the nets were unable to capitilize on or promote members of the USMNT in the World Cup with the team missing the event in Russia. The nets combined to averaged 241,000 viewers, down from 261,000 in '17. Data does show that EPSN/ESPN are seeing nearly a 13% uptick to regular viewership when out-of-home numbers are factored in"
MLSSBDJ Capture.JPG

I was not trying to convince anyone of anything just adding input, If something is being portrayed incorrectly it should get corrected. I'm too a hockey fan, I'm a fan of both MLS/NHL people like me actually exists you know. I don't mind people here comparing, however it's when some try to compare and make INCORRECT insertions then they get upset if I point out they are wrong which usually includes me adding links and sources.

They then try to hysterically as @Coinneach tell me this is a NHL Forum lol??
Like you brought it up then want to shut down discussion when you or whoever is challenged. It normally goes with some sort of variation like this "What ever NHL Playoffs are up, MLS no comparison" "No one cares about MLS" "Why are you talking about MLS"

It's funny because I'm not the one always bringing it up I'm just replying back. It seems like it because there responses are so childish it gets the thread side tracked. Instead of having good discussion and maybe learning something they just want one way debate where they get to make up stuff and have it be that.

Last edited:

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
A few things...

A) I have zero interest in learning about your spat with Coinneach.
B) I already addressed the article you keep on referencing and why it doesn't do a good job of supporting your conclusion that ESPN was up this past season.
C) You keep on repeating the same stuff over and over again, and replying to the same posts over and over again... You seem to be having a bit of a meltdown, and at this point I see no value in continuing this conversation.

:)

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
A few things...

A) I have zero interest in learning about your spat with Coinneach.
B) I already addressed the article you keep on referencing and why it doesn't do a good job of supporting your conclusion that ESPN was up this past season.
C) You keep on repeating the same stuff over and over again, and replying to the same posts over and over again... You seem to be having a bit of a meltdown, and at this point I see no value in continuing this conversation.

:)

Lol meltdown....:popcorn: I'm quite fine really, my Caps are in 1st place on a 5 gm win streak. I'm only responding to the post asking questions and quoting my post that I've answered verbatim already. I'm done though I think my point has been made clear to anyone who doesn't have a bias. They'll understand my post moving forward. You have a good day. Sorry me and @Coinneach debate side tracked the thread. As I've said before when this has come up lets get back to NHL TV Ratings.

Last edited:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Lol meltdown....:popcorn: I'm quite fine really, my Caps are in 1st place on a 5 gm win streak. I'm only responding to the post asking questions and quoting my post that I've answered verbatim already. I'm done though I think my point has been made clear to anyone who doesn't have a bias. They'll understanding my post moving forward. You have a good day. Sorry me and @Coinneach debate side tracked the thread. As I've said before when this has come up lets get back to NHL TV Ratings.
Yes, let's do that.

Emphasis is mine.

Reactions: eddygee

Coinneach

Feb 1, 2014
Czech Republic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad