League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The league hasn't said what the amount was. Schmidt said it was a trace amount. Do we even know what he tested positive for?

I doubt they’ll release it due to medical privacy laws. But I suppose Schmidt himself could say what he tested positive for.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I doubt they’ll release it due to medical privacy laws. But I suppose Schmidt himself could say what he tested positive for.
But us his statement going to be accurate. He says it was a very small amount. But I'm sure there is a threshold for the amount.
When Backstrom tested positive in the Olympics they said the levels of the drug exceeded the allowed amount.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Who's the last guy they caught who actually juiced and didn't just have a drop of NyQuil in his body? Was it Horcoff or was Horcoff a nothingburger too?

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
The league hasn't said what the amount was. Schmidt said it was a trace amount. Do we even know what he tested positive for?
The implication based on the comments of other players like Oleksy is that it's something related to allergy medicine (ala Backstrom) I don't know if this is what it was or speculation on their part. I have seen a lot of players talk about how the wrong allergy meds will get you dinged.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The implication based on the comments of other players like Oleksy is that it's something related to allergy medicine (ala Backstrom) I don't know if this is what it was or speculation on their part. I have seen a lot of players talk about how the wrong allergy meds will get you dinged.
If that is the case then why hasn't Backstrom tested positive.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
If that is the case then why hasn't Backstrom tested positive.
What Backstrom tested positive for isn't banned by the NHL but is by WADA.

I'm not saying the Schmidt situation is one-to-one with Nick's but that there is precedent for things in legitimate medication making guys fail tests.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well. This is the start of that giant correction in the fortunes of Las Vegas that's coming. Karlsson is going to score 4 goals all season

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I don't know anything about the case but isn't it convenient that the players can just say stuff like ''drop in the ocean'' and ''i didn't know that stuff was illegal'' when getting caught, knowing that the information is never going to get released. I've grown rather skeptical of these statements after getting caught.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
He did have a substantial increase in the quality of his game. We all liked Schmidt as a 4-5D. None of us thought he could be a top pairing guy on a contender. Did we?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I never thought he could successfully hold down a top-pair spot myself, but somehow they managed to compensate for his lack of "eliteness" with the sum of the whole they assembled. Or at least until they didn't.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
He did have a substantial increase in the quality of his game. We all liked Schmidt as a 4-5D. None of us thought he could be a top pairing guy on a contender. Did we?

I'd say it was very possible, he looked excellent next to Carlson and was clearly better than Orpik and Alzner. Just bad coaching on Trotz and/or Reirden's part.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
With the Caps, Schmidt easily looked like a very solid top-4 guy in the making. And his skating was elite, which made his ceiling even higher. I was surprised at how fast he became a top guy in Vegas, not really that he got there. I think I've been more surprised with Orlov's progression, actually.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Vegas also didn't really have many better options than Schmidt to turn to. They had a deep blueline, but lacked any elite talents that were already developed to act as a roadblock to Schmidt. He likely wouldn't have had that role on many other teams in the NHL.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
HFCaps September 2017: "ZOMG! HOW COULD WE LOSE SCHMIDT?! TOP 4 D-MAN GONE FOR NOTHING! SHMITTTTTTYYY1!!"

HFCaps September 2018: "Schmidt? Never heard of the guy. Bottom pairing d-man on a scrub team, or something. Whatevs..."

lol

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I don't mean a dig at Carlson, but my feeling is that he's average in terms of lifting a partner on D. Average-solid maybe. I recall looking at Carlson stats back when some ppl were trying to defend Alzner (thank god Caps' brass saw the light/quel dommage, les Canadiens) -- I was expecting a confirmation that Carlson was a healthy net positive getting dragged down by Alzner... well, stats-wise Alzner was indeed terrible, but Carlson appeared basically neutral to me. IIRC.

Schmidt and Kempny are no slouches -- I think they ultimately may have helped Carlson (at least) as much as he helped them, basically. Schmidt actually seemed to make everybody better pretty clearly, IIRC. Orlov also has had that effect overall, but maybe less consistently. I would think Niskanen is the best player by far among the D in this respect.

Reactions: RandyHolt

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’m of the school of thought that a D doesn’t need to be lifting his partner, unless of course your pairing is lacking in talent on one half. As long as you’re not a drag and you can handle your specific role....that’s what’s expected IMO. If you’re lucky enough to have a real star talent like EK or DD, that extra bump is all the nicer. Carlson is not that type of guy IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad