Line Combos: 2018/19 Line Combinations

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Our 6 draft picks is total proof guys
Not really, rebuilding teams would have like minimum 10 picks, and smarter rebuilding teams would have lots in the first couple a rounds

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
Our 6 draft picks is total proof guys
So them trading one fourth round pick in two years is a sign they are not rebuilding? Makes total sense.

I didn’t say they were doing a good job of rebuilding. Maybe that’s where the disconnect is?

Last edited:

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
Not really, rebuilding teams would have like minimum 10 picks, and smarter rebuilding teams would have lots in the first couple a rounds

How are they going to acquire four extra picks Tiger?

Gut the defence and trade both Tanev and Edler?

I am in agreement about acquiring more picks. It’s a huge pet peeve of mine. But you can’t run a d corps over the boards with Derek Pouliott and Alex Biega on your top pair

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
How are they going to acquire four extra picks Tiger?

Gut the defence and trade both Tanev and Edler?

I am in agreement about acquiring more picks. It’s a huge pet peeve of mine. But you can’t run a d corps over the boards with Derek Pouliott and Alex Biega on your top pair
Look at what Toronto did with Polak. Signed him in FA, traded him and deadline for a 2 2nds, then signed him again. Why haven't we done that yet?

kallor

May 15, 2015
Assuming there is no significant changes. I can see a lineup similar to this being deployed by Green. Not what I like but what I expect.
Baertschi Horvat Boeser
Eriksson Sutter EP
Granlund Gagner Virtanen
Leipsic Gaudette Goldobin
Gaunce

Sutter and Eriksson will insulate EP allowing him to learn how to play "the right way".

Edler Tanev
Delzotto Stecher
Pouliot Gudbranson

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Assuming there is no significant changes. I can see a lineup similar to this being deployed by Green. Not what I like but what I expect.
Baertschi Horvat Boeser
Eriksson Sutter EP
Granlund Gagner Virtanen
Gaunce

Sutter and Eriksson will insulate EP allowing him to learn how to play "the right way".

Edler Tanev
Delzotto Stecher
Pouliot Gudbranson
So basically destroy Peeteys offense. Great :shakehead

And that d is the same as last years which was the league worst. That third pairing should be a bottom pair of a average ahl team

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So them trading one fourth round pick in two years is a sign they are not rebuilding? Makes total sense.

I didn’t say they were doing a good job of rebuilding. Maybe that’s where the disconnect is?
Them losing more picks than they acquire certainly doesn't add up to the idea that they're rebuilding. And what few rumors we hear seem to indicate that they're chasing veteran targets like O'Reilly rather than trying to stockpile picks.

kallor

May 15, 2015
So basically destroy Peeteys offense. Great :shakehead

And that d is the same as last years which was the league worst. That third pairing should be a bottom pair of a average ahl team

I don't see EP as the type of player whose offense depends on others. In a perfect world this team has some quality centers to help ease home into the league but they don't.

They either play him Horvat and risk messing up a good thing established last year with Boeser, or you play him with flawed centers, Sutter or Gagner.

Sutter can win draws and play decent defensive hockey and most importantly skate. Gagner can contribute offensive when played with skilled players.

IMO it is the best of bad options again assuming no significant players are added.

As far as the defense goes, I agree with everything you said but I don't expect change based off of Benning's comments so far.

Reactions: Index

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Let me try this again. Ignoring what will probably happen, here's what I would want to see, personally (maybe not right off the bat, but as the season progresses).

FORWARDS

Baertschi - Pettersson - Boeser
Give Pettersson the two best wingers on the team, two guys who are perfectly capable of driving the play on their own and being an effective scoring line even if he falters/struggles, taking the pressure off of him while putting him in a position to excel offensively. Pettersson/Boeser also complement each other perfectly.

Leipsic - Horvat - Goldobin
Horvat is the only guy we have (besides maybe Boeser) who can reliably carry a line by himself, and let's face it, we don't have amazing offensive depth (I think this is the best way of addressing the tricky dilemma mentioned above, personally-- you're kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't). Leipsic is a nice supportive piece, and Goldobin has a great chance to build off of his progress, playing the role that Baertshi previously played.

Gaunce - Gaudette - Virtanen
Personally, I love the way this potentially looks as a 3rd line. Gaudette is comfortably eased into a defensive role early in his career, with Gaunce doing the heavy lifting in terms of suppressing scoring chances, while Virtanen forechecks like a madman. Their roles really fit nicely together, IMO, and I'd like to see Gaunce and Virtanen being a regular duo moving forward..

Granlund - Sutter - Eriksson
Guys who are really frustrating when playing up the lineup who would be luxuries to have simply chipping in from the 4th line.

DEFENSEMAN

Del Zotto - Tanev
Give this pairing by far the highest and most challenging shut-down minutes. Putting defensively questionable and physically underdeveloped rookies on every pairing is suicide. (If Tryamkin ever comes back, replace Del Zotto with him)

Edler - Hughes (or Stecher if he doesn't make the team)
This pairing is stapled to the first line. Hughes dynamically takes over from Stecher's sheltered role while Edler once again does literally all of the heavy lifting.

Juolevi (or Hutton if he doesn't make the team) - Biega
Biega should always be anchoring a sheltered 3rd pairing, showing a young player the ropes and making life easier for them.

GOALIES

Markstrom
Nilsson

I don't expect this team to compete any time soon, so nothing we come up with will be a world-beater, but I quite like the structure and fit of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
If we don't get a UFA middle 6 center, Pettersson it and see how it goes in camp :

Goldy - Horvat - Boeser
Granlund - Sutter - Virtanen
Baertschi - Pettersson - Eriksson
Big UFA-Big UFA- Leipsic-Gagner
Gaunce
Send down Gaudette for big mins.
Maybe Archibald can fill if we can't get a physical NHLer that can skate.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Baertschi Horvat Boeser
Eriksson Sutter EP
Granlund Gagner Virtanen
Gaunce

Edler Tanev
Delzotto Stecher
Pouliot Gudbranson
I don't want Eriksson's "work ethic" anywhere near any of our young players.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i predict that this summer we appear to sign way too many players for the nhl roster. then i predict by december the utica thread guys are complaining that every decent player and prospect down there has been called up to the canucks.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I don't want Eriksson's "work ethic" anywhere near any of our young players.
Complain about his scoring contribution... but the guy seems like he's always in the right position.

Needs some luck next year.. Probably led in goal posts hit. Maybe a couple of more creative linemates and few more ozone starts help.

i predict that this summer we appear to sign way too many players for the nhl roster. then i predict by december the utica thread guys are complaining that every decent player and prospect down there has been called up to the canucks.
Might as well predict all our home games will be played at Rogers Arena.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Not what I want, but probably what we'll get. To start off, anyway...

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser
Eriksson - Gagner - Petersson
Goldoblin - Sutter - Virtanen
Leipsic - Gaunce - Granlund
Motte

Dahlen and Gaudette start in Utica.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
Here is my lineup... I'll explain after

Baerschti -Horvat-Boeser
Virtanen-Gaudette-Pettersson
Gagne-Sutter-Ericksson
Leipsic-Gaunce-Grandlund

Hughes-Tanev
Stetcher-Edler
Juolevi-Del Zotto/Gudbranson

Markstrom
Nillsson

So first line is tested and true. Stick with it
Again, Gaudette plays with a nasty edge, one that will be needed to make space for Pettersson. Add in that Virtanen creates space, and Jake may have just met his perfect line mates. Those boys will not allow him to be roughed up, can skate and get in positions to succeed. If Gaudette is the center they expect him to be, let him play with talent.
Hate the third line but not sure what else to do
Grandlund Leipsic could be a sleeper line. Gaunce should be more effective this season.

Tanev gets the complimentary D man he has always needed
Tried tested and true
Decent 3rd d pairing

Goaltending good enough.

Overall I think we have to look at this from the perspective of interchangable parts. The Canucks could make a line of: Virtanen-Pettersson-Ericksson to see if that helps spark Louie.

Either way that is how I'd structure the lines. I cannot find a spot for Goldobin tbh. I don't think he fits into this lineup, unless he comes in all cylindars flying and steals a job. Demko will be the first call up and will steal the goaltending job by november December. Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich mature and develop in the AHL as they should.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Here is my lineup... I'll explain after

Baerschti -Horvat-Boeser
Virtanen-Gaudette-Pettersson
Gagne-Sutter-Ericksson
Leipsic-Gaunce-Grandlund

Hughes-Tanev
Stetcher-Edler
Juolevi-Del Zotto/Gudbranson

Markstrom
Nillsson

So first line is tested and true. Stick with it
Again, Gaudette plays with a nasty edge, one that will be needed to make space for Pettersson. Add in that Virtanen creates space, and Jake may have just met his perfect line mates. Those boys will not allow him to be roughed up, can skate and get in positions to succeed. If Gaudette is the center they expect him to be, let him play with talent.
Hate the third line but not sure what else to do
Grandlund Leipsic could be a sleeper line. Gaunce should be more effective this season.

Tanev gets the complimentary D man he has always needed
Tried tested and true
Decent 3rd d pairing

Goaltending good enough.

Overall I think we have to look at this from the perspective of interchangable parts. The Canucks could make a line of: Virtanen-Pettersson-Ericksson to see if that helps spark Louie.

Either way that is how I'd structure the lines. I cannot find a spot for Goldobin tbh. I don't think he fits into this lineup, unless he comes in all cylindars flying and steals a job. Demko will be the first call up and will steal the goaltending job by november December. Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich mature and develop in the AHL as they should.
The third and fourth lines are unbelievably bad....

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Leipsic-Horvat-Boeser
Eriksson-Gagner-Pettersson
Goldobin-Gaudette-Virtanen
Baertschi-Sutter-Granlund

Edler-Gudbranson
Hughes-Tanev
Hutton-Stecher (an upgrade of some kind might be required here).

Perhaps Baertschi for a young 3rd pairing defenseman with outside potential to be a 2nd pairing guy one day.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad