Rumor: 2018-19 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Don't be surprised if Panrin wants Patrick Kane money.

He's going to have to make a choice. It's a hard cap league. Everything is give and take. If he wants to go to specific places, he may not get the money. Maybe he will, but he hasn't helped any team the way Kane has, so there's no, ok, well here's your dump truck full of Cup money.

Reactions: deaderhead28

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I can't imagine any trade scenario where we land a player like Panarin without giving up Vilardi. He's a top five winger in the game, and he's young, too. Going to command a big return, and he's going to cost like $8 million a year.

But my goodness, if Blake manages to land Panarin WITHOUT giving up Vilardi, he has my full confidence and trust from here on out. Muzzin, Toffoli, JAD? That's probably not enough. And at the same time, it's a lot of good roster depth talent to trade for one player. You only trade Muzzin if Voynov is a lock to return.

Kovalchuk and Panarin were teammates in 14/15 on SKA Petersburg.

Kovalchuk-Kopitar-Brown
Pearson-Carter-Panarin
Iafallo-Kempe-Lewis
Clifford-Vilardi-Amadio
Thompson

Forbort-Doughty
Phaneuf-Voynov
Martinez-Folin
Ladue, Brickley

Quick
Budaj

Lots of Ruskies on that team. Lots of skill, too.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He's going to have to make a choice. It's a hard cap league. Everything is give and take. If he wants to go to specific places, he may not get the money. Maybe he will, but he hasn't helped any team the way Kane has, so there's no, ok, well here's your dump truck full of Cup money.
There's always the KHL option for him.

His agent will say his numbers were as good if not better than Kane's when Kane signed his deal. Plus the cap is higher now.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Does that mean we trade him before the 1st?

I said the other day I can't see any GM doing that prior to July 1. Not exactly a high end UFA you would trade assets for so you can "talk to him first". They would really have to covet him for some reason to give up something a week before signing is open, particularly now that players can actually speak to teams prior to the 1st in a six day window (just can't talk specifics, wink wink). You can bet Blake reached out at the draft, but got a dial tone on the other end.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Make the Panarin trade happen. Having Kovalchuk now, I think he could get him to re-sign in LA. That would be a huge move. I will worship Blake if he pulls that off.

I would trade Vilardi in a deal for Panarin. Panarin is elite talent, and the exact type of player that you would deal someone like Vilardi for.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
There's always the KHL option for him.

His agent will say his numbers were as good if not better than Kane's when Kane signed his deal. Plus the cap is higher now.

There aren't many guys that actually go to the KHL. Kovalchuk, Jagr, Giordano. They also all came back again. Panarin didn't have to leave the KHL in the first place if he wanted huge KHL money.

There aren't all that many $10m cap hits or salaries. The guys that have them have won Cups and/or are the face of a franchise. Should Panarin get dealt, it'll be 3 teams in his 4 years in the NHL.

He may get whatever money he wants, but he hasn't yet done what got Kane the contract he got.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I would trade Vilardi in a deal for Panarin. Panarin is elite talent, and the exact type of player that you would deal someone like Vilardi for.

Apparently, CBJ doesn't want a defenseman back, so that rules out Muzzin.

And Kings would need to send back some kind of salary. Toffoli and Vilardi straight up probably get it done. If you're not willing to part with Vilardi, then Toffoli, JAD, and a high pick.

Jun 30, 2006
Kings aren’t trading Vilardi unless it’s a sign and trade deal for Panarin. Toffoli, JAD and high pick for a one year rental is steep but doable.

Jun 30, 2006
Apparently, CBJ doesn't want a defenseman back, so that rules out Muzzin.
Maybe not, a third team may want Muzzin and we include whatever that team sends us with Toffoli/JAD for Panarin.

This is where Blake needs to get creative, Dean was a master at that and hope Blake (looks like he has so far) has learned enough.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Maybe not, a third team may want Muzzin and we include whatever that team sends us with Toffoli/JAD for Panarin.

This is where Blake needs to get creative, Dean was a master at that and hope Blake (looks like he has so far) has learned enough.
I'd be careful trading Muzzin. I know the Kings system and forwards help a ton on defense but trading Muzzin leaves you with Doughty and a bunch of #4-6 d-men. And no, I'm not including Voynov because the I don't see how the Kings afford him.

Reactions: lexlavender

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
With JAD still on his ELC for 3 years, might as well through Kempe into the deal. He's up for a raise next year, and assuming the Kings would want to sign Panarin, you need whatever space you can get. Amadio can be the 3rd center this year. He's also a RFA next year, but someone has to go.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Panarin is a stud capable of creating goals by himself, I would offer a good amount for him. Start with Muzzin + Toffoli for Panarin if CBJ allows us to discuss an extension with him, I wonder if we could even add one our top prospect to have CBJ do a sign and trade retaining salary. Is that legal in the CBA?

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I'd be careful trading Muzzin. I know the Kings system and forwards help a ton on defense but trading Muzzin leaves you with Doughty and a bunch of #4-6 d-men. And no, I'm not including Voynov because the I don't see how the Kings afford him.
It's been put out there that Blake is aggressive on getting a top 4 defensemen as well.

Jun 30, 2006

I don’t see how the Kings can afford Muzzin on his next contract.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Panarin is a stud capable of creating goals by himself, I would offer a good amount for him. Start with Muzzin + Toffoli for Panarin if CBJ allows us to discuss an extension with him, I wonder if we could even add one our top prospect to have CBJ do a sign and trade retaining salary. Is that legal in the CBA?

Has a sign and trade ever happened in the NHL? Figure that Panarin would sign a long deal, so Columbus would just have dead cap for that entire time? Seems unnecessary for them. Unless Vilardi is a no doubt 1st line talent who will score 30 every year.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

Voynov won't cost much at all. A lot of teams don't want to touch him at all due to his past. He will end up signing a short term, low AAV deal to "prove" he's reformed. By the end of that deal, if all is well off the ice, his next contract will be much larger and closer to his actual value.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Has a sign and trade ever happened in the NHL? Figure that Panarin would sign a long deal, so Columbus would just have dead cap for that entire time? Seems unnecessary for them. Unless Vilardi is a no doubt 1st line talent who will score 30 every year.
Didn't the Kings kinda do that with Gaborik? No official contract with signed but they talked to his agent about the possibility of him re-signing.

Voynov won't cost much at all. A lot of teams don't want to touch him at all due to his past. He will end up signing a short term, low AAV deal to "prove" he's reformed. By the end of that deal, if all is well off the ice, his next contract will be much larger and closer to his actual value.
If reports are to believed then there's a decent number of teams interested in him. I think he'll cost at least $4-5 million if not more. He's not coming back to the NHL to make a lot less than what he can make in the KHL.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Easily trade Muzzin and Toffoli for Panarin. No questions asked.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Didn't the Kings kinda do that with Gaborik? No official contract with signed but they talked to his agent about the possibility of him re-signing.

If reports are to believed then there's a decent number of teams interested in him. I think he'll cost at least $4-5 million if not more. He's not coming back to the NHL to make a lot less than what he can make in the KHL.

I mean, we’ve seen across all pro sports that players returning from a big scandal end up making less money on their first contract.

Maybe he makes that much, but it will be a one year deal. No one is willing to sign Voynov to a high AAV, long term deal given his past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad