Injury Report: 2018-19 Injury Thread

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Anyone have a logical reason as to why hockey is the only major sport that doesn't release any specific information about injuries? What negative could come from being more specific? Is there a rule that prevents them from doing it?

Please keep in mind, I do realize it's "none of our business". That applies to all sports, yet the others release more info.

Are hockey players "dirtier" than other sports' players, in the sense they would try to injure a recently-returned player? I can't imagine they are at much more risk than say, a football player in the same situation. They should be 95% healed or so before returning anyway, so that shouldn't really apply. There are some seriously dirty players in football as well, so I wouldn't think that would be the reason.

I'm not exactly new to hockey, but it's just something I've never understood, and it's frustrating at times, from a fan perspective.
Agreed. Very frustrating.

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
Could it possibly be written into the CBA?

Found this in an article.
The NHL changed its policy about disclosing injuries in 2008, decreeing that teams "no longer are required to disclose the specific nature of player injuries." Teams were required to announce if a player would miss a game because of an injury, and they were prohibited from providing "untruthful information" about the nature of an injury, but they wouldn't have to disclose the specifics that sports fans are used to. (Compare all that secrecy to the thoroughness of the typical NFL injury report, which are roughly the length of your average Robert Caro book.)

Unspecified injuries are par for the course in the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDBolt

JDBolt

Oct 14, 2017
Could it possibly be written into the CBA?

Found this in an article.

Unspecified injuries are par for the course in the NHL.

Good read, thanks for that. It does seem like it's just become customary since it isn't required, and not a lot of people question it. I've been accustomed to college and pro football where the injury reports are typically quite detailed, and people lose their minds if the info isn't released.

It is a shame that they feel the injuries will be targeted by other players if they know the specifics of the injury, but that's obviously the safer route for the injured players.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
On the farm regarding potential call-ups;
Stephens gone six weeks with upper body injury.
Cernak is day to day with a back injury.
Both suffered Saturday vs Charlotte.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
New Jersey could be tough to handle without Hedman. Need a better showing from everybody not named McStrals, obviously, but Jersey is super fast and tenacious right now. They look a lot like we looked in the early days of the Cooper era.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
They will be out for vengeance too. Even without Heddy I don't think they want to go toe to toe with us offensively tonight though, with us having last change.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
We should just plug and play. Put McDonagh with Cernak ... and keep the defensive pairs the same. Hedman - Girardi, McDonagh - Cernak, Coburn - Sergachev. We'd have to modify the QoC a bit for the pair, but would rather do that ... than turn all the pairs upside down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad