2018-19 FA Cup Thread

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Nah, it's a 5 team battle for 4 spots. On paper, Spurs are the least talented IMO. Especially with thos stretches without Kane. Liverpool is also not top 2 on talent alone.

Of course they're 1 point off. But they're on an awful dynamic.
In their last 10 games, they have 5 wins, including an awful 2-1 win against Malmo, a scrappy 2-1 win over Newcastle and gimme win over Sheffield.
Basically, they beat Spurs in the return cup game and Huddersfield. Other were unimpressive wins.
They also got beaten 5 times in those 10 games, including against rivals Arsenal, Spurs, City and United. And of course that 0-4 defeat against mighy Bournemouth.

Even if you want to dig in previous results. Outside of easy cup wins, they only barely beat Watford (2-1), Palace (1-0) and Brighton (2-1). While losing to Leicester and tying Mold Vidi and Southampton.

Since they beat City, they've been sick. And they still have to play City, Liverpool, Spurs and United.
If their form continues, they won't even contend for top4. Which is absolutely scandalous.

Right now , but Arsenal theoretically , will rebound. What I'm saying is that every year , 2 major clubs will miss out , and that doesn't mean it's necessarily a failure. It's really damn hard in the Prem.

Spurs have a great side. I wouldn't underrate them at all. And whatever you think about their talent level, they have the benefit of long-term continuity. Which can overcome a lack of talent (which, imo, is arguable).

You can look at rosters on a piece of paper , and deem expectations from it, but that's not how football works. It's more than names , and the judgement of said names can be supremely misguided.

You say Liverpool doesn't have top 2 talent , but then why are they top of the league and a recent CL finalist? Could be because they gave a manager time to imprint his ethos , and to find the pieces that fit his tactics/philosophy? Why doesn't Sarri get that opportunity?

Yes, Chelsea's form is worrisome. Yes, they perhaps aren't operating at their full potential. But no, that doesn't mean Sarri is the wrong manager for the club long-term. And no, it doesn't mean a pragmatic manager could challenge for a title. I don't think any manager in the world could get this current edition of Chelsea to win a league --- or even truly challenge. When considering context, they're pretty much exactly where I thought they'd be.

The issues at Chelsea run much deeper than Sarri , but people are definitely using him as the fall-guy. Roman has checked out , and their transfer business has been brutal in recent times.

Is it a coincidence that the top 3 teams have sustainable programs and elite managers they've allowed time to?

I think not.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think it says a lot about the players than the coach.
Indeed, it does say a lot that they managed to win a title with Mourinho. Without even cheating. Which means you have to go back 15 years for Mou to win a league title without having the refs in your pocket.
And then when Conte came in, someone who's notorious for being a great coach for a very short time, they won in his very first year too.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Right now , but Arsenal theoretically , will rebound. What I'm saying is that every year , 2 major clubs will miss out , and that doesn't mean it's necessarily a failure. It's really damn hard in the Prem.

Spurs have a great side. I wouldn't underrate them at all. And whatever you think about their talent level, they have the benefit of long-term continuity. Which can overcome a lack of talent (which, imo, is arguable).

You can look at rosters on a piece of paper , and deem expectations from it, but that's not how football works. It's more than names , and the judgement of said names can be supremely misguided.

You say Liverpool doesn't have top 2 talent , but then why are they top of the league and a recent CL finalist? Could be because they gave a manager time to imprint his ethos , and to find the pieces that fit his tactics/philosophy? Why doesn't Sarri get that opportunity?

Yes, Chelsea's form is worrisome. Yes, they perhaps aren't operating at their full potential. But no, that doesn't mean Sarri is the wrong manager for the club long-term. And no, it doesn't mean a pragmatic manager could challenge for a title. I don't think any manager in the world could get this current edition of Chelsea to win a league --- or even truly challenge. When considering context, they're pretty much exactly where I thought they'd be.

The issues at Chelsea run much deeper than Sarri , but people are definitely using him as the fall-guy. Roman has checked out , and their transfer business has been brutal in recent times.

Is it a coincidence that the top 3 teams have sustainable programs and elite managers they've allowed time to?

I think not.
Read my posts. Nobody expects Sarri to win the title. But reach top 4? Heck yeah. Outside top 3 3 times in 15 years?
Arsenal is still in a funk because of that D. They're not challenging for top 4 this year.
United lost so many points in the first half of the season it's crazy. Chelsea should be extremely easily top 4 right now.
Sarri is fully responsible for not reaching top 4 this year. This is my point.

Yes, as I've said Klopp put Liverpool where they are. He made his players progress and fit a system. Sarri makes everyone regress and seem unfit.
As I said, give him one summer window since the team needs an overhaul anyway. But a non CL Chelsea won't attract the same caliber of players. You'll have to target some other kind of players. If he fails top 4 next year, then throw him away.

Reactions: gary69

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
That Chelsea needs to clean house or else the players will just quit on Sarri's replacement.
Or that Sarri can't even compete with Conte and Mou when it comes to pragmatism and making the most out of a roster.

This is reflecting very badly on him IMO. Sure the roster isn't title caliber. nobody said the contrary. But failing top 4 with the circumstances (Arsenal's D, Mou crashing United for 5 months) is a major crash. Major.

Reactions: gary69

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Or that Sarri can't even compete with Conte and Mou when it comes to pragmatism and making the most out of a roster.

This is reflecting very badly on him IMO. Sure the roster isn't title caliber. nobody said the contrary. But failing top 4 with the circumstances (Arsenal's D, Mou crashing United for 5 months) is a major crash. Major.

No one is arguing that Sarri is more pragmatic than Conte or Mou, he just isn't, he's an idealist. The players we have don't fit his system, and I believe he should have time to acquire players to fit his system. I'd give him another year with a good summer transfer window.

Sarri is having a bad stretch, but he has won 64% of his matches, on par with Conte, better than Ancelotti at Chelsea.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Indeed, it does say a lot that they managed to win a title with Mourinho. Without even cheating. Which means you have to go back 15 years for Mou to win a league title without having the refs in your pocket.
And then when Conte came in, someone who's notorious for being a great coach for a very short time, they won in his very first year too.

Players that quit on 3 managers, 2 of which have won the title, says something about those players.

Once the racist wife stealer and Frank Lampard left there hasn't been a leader among the group of players.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Players that quit on 3 managers, 2 of which have won the title, says something about those players.

Once the racist wife stealer and Frank Lampard left there hasn't been a leader among the group of players.
Yeah you don't win 2 titles in 3 years (?) without leaders.
So no.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No one is arguing that Sarri is more pragmatic than Conte or Mou, he just isn't, he's an idealist. The players we have don't fit his system, and I believe he should have time to acquire players to fit his system. I'd give him another year with a good summer transfer window.

Sarri is having a bad stretch, but he has won 64% of his matches, on par with Conte, better than Ancelotti at Chelsea.
I agree with this.
And no, Sarri has won 64%, but he's trending under 50%.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
So the draw was held. Didn’t see it posted.

Swansea City v Manchester City
Watford v Crystal Palace
Wolves v Manchester United
Millwall v Brighton

What I'd like to see

Swansea
Crystal Palace
Wolves
Millwall

What will probably happen

City
Watford
United
Brighton

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Chelsea are in a slump but they're 1 point out of 4th. United aren't exactly entering an easy stretch and Chelsea could still take 4th fairly comfortably.

The players are definitely an issue. Sarri doesn't really adjust to the team either though so the problem is twofold.

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
Happy about the draw that Brighton got. Obviously Millwall has a great record in the Cup but I'm not going to put much thought into that. Brighton is just a step up in class and I think we will be able to get through to Wembly because of it!
It's Brighton not Barcelona :laugh:

I'm elated with that draw. Literally the best possible draw for us to get through.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It's Brighton not Barcelona :laugh:

I'm elated with that draw. Literally the best possible draw for us to get through.

I would have rather had Swansea but Millwall was my second choice.

Going away to the Den has made me less confident for sure, especially after seeing the intense atmosphere first hand last November. That being said I still think we are the one that gets through to Wembley!

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Swansea playing a ballsy game pressing City.

Mixed results so far. Caused a couple turnovers, but also been caught out a couple times and let City break dangerously.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Swansea double their lead on the counter!

Edit: actually not on the counter. Played out of the back from the goalie, a few quick passes and suddenly they were on the break.

Perfect finish into the top corner.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Swansea double their lead on the counter!

Edit: actually not on the counter. Played out of the back from the goalie, a few quick passes and suddenly they were on the break.

Perfect finish into the top corner.
they scored a man city type goal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad