2018-19 FA Cup Thread

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
You guys aren't wrong. Those guys are legends. Some of them retired before my parents were even born. I can't fairly judge them so I generally mean since I've started watching Wolves.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The last years (decades) the Wolves have sucked anyway, but England (captained by Wright) being demolished by the Magic Magyars twice in 1953/54 and the Wolves (captained by Wright) subsequently beating Honvéd at home was a major factor behind the birth of the European Cup and thus the Champions League. In England the Wolves were considered the best team in the world at that point, and many continental clubs were eager to prove them wrong (which they did).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The laughing point is that it's L'Equipe who created the european competitions, but the english FA didn't want their clubs to participate in the first edition.
After seeing the prestige and money the teams acquired in that competition, english joined. They won't reach a final before a dozen years IIRC.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I’m actually double sad that City got gifted two goals yesterday given that United lost.

Now we see City walk to a trophy instead of having a lower team, and potentially even a lower division team, win one.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
The laughing point is that it's L'Equipe who created the european competitions, but the english FA didn't want their clubs to participate in the first edition because they knew then, as they knew now, that English football is far better than everyone else's football, and should wherever possible avoid sullying itself by being on the same pitch as Johnny Foreigner.
After seeing that their absence was only provoking the foreigns to acquire delusions of grandeur, english joined. They won't reach a final before a dozen years IIRC, but only because as usual they were thwarted by a combination involving sustained grotesque bad luck and universal conspiracy, which illustrates the initial wisdom of giving those pesky foreigners a wide berth.

Edited to give a fairer and more balanced historical account.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Feel for Locadia. He has ended up playing a lot and really well since he called out Hughton for not giving him enough minutes. Having the winner and the goal that got Brighton back into it would have been huge for him!

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
While I'd be pleased for Chris Hughton if Brighton were to stun City, and don't have affection for either Watford or Wolves, a City-Wolves final strikes me as having the potential to be interesting.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
both semis are in wembley? should use other neutral venues for the semifinals imo.

The flip side is that if you only have the finals at Wembley, you're not diminishing part of what traditionally gave the FA Cup its special appeal for a sum of money that is paltry in comparison to the cash generated by the Premier League and Champions League anyway. And cheapening everything they touch is a fundamental part of the FA's brief.

Reactions: gary69

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
The flip side is that if you only have the finals at Wembley, you're not diminishing part of what traditionally gave the FA Cup its special appeal for a sum of money that is paltry in comparison to the cash generated by the Premier League and Champions League anyway. And cheapening everything they touch is a fundamental part of the FA's brief.
in the old days, would the FA wait to find out who was in the semis before choosing the venues? would united get games at old trafford and villa at villa park just because those were the designated venues before knowing who would qualify for the semfinals?

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
in the old days, would the FA wait to find out who was in the semis before choosing the venues? would united get games at old trafford and villa at villa park just because those were the designated venues before knowing who would qualify for the semfinals?

Venues would indeed be decided on which teams were in the last four. But the venue would always be neutral.

For instance, in 1985 Liverpool and Manchester United met in the semis at Goodison Park. The game finishing level after extra time, the replay took place at Maine Road.

In the other semi-final, meanwhile, Everton played Luton Town at Villa Park.

Maine Road was also the venue for the 1990 semi between Manchester United and Oldham Athletic.

It was the following year (in the post-Hillsborough, more safety-conscious world) that Wembley was used to accommodate an Arsenal-Tottenham semi-final (the first all-London semi since 1952), and pound signs flashed in middle-aged, besuited men's eyes.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I decided to watch this game full well knowing City would win anyway, but to say they aren't playing well is an understatement.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I decided to watch this game full well knowing City would win anyway, but to say they aren't playing well is an understatement.
Yeah, because Brighton actually went at them but it was in an all or nothing FA Cup game. They have no reason to be scared of them week 38 either but who knows what will happen then.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
well what a run it was for the Boys from the South! Super happy with the way these guys played today, would have been nice to go the finals but after this run there is nothing to do but be proud!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad