2018/19 Edmonton Oilers style of play and identity

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Rattie's a scoring winger or he's on waivers. He doesn't have the game to be an effective checker. St Louis and Carolina can attest.
I understand he's 25 and his strengths and weaknesses are starting to become known, but I don't think 35 NHL games tells anyone much. Cogliano became a checker at 25

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I understand he's 25 and his strengths and weaknesses are starting to become known, but I don't think 35 NHL games tells anyone much. Cogliano became a checker at 25
Cogliano was also an effective NHLer before he changed the way he played his game. He had elite level speed and he was a tenacious forechecker. Ty Rattie's offensive awareness is his ticket right now. He doesn't have the complete package. An elite talent like 97 is what's keeping him in the lineup. Take that away and Rattie is an AHLer.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Cogliano was also an effective NHLer before he changed the way he played his game. He had elite level speed and he was a tenacious forechecker. Ty Rattie's offensive awareness is his ticket right now. He doesn't have the complete package. An elite talent like 97 is what's keeping him in the lineup. Take that away and Rattie is an AHLer.

Eh, the tools were always there. He wouldn't be the first player whose original team didn't give a meaningful chance to play (for whatever reason), only for him to be given a chance elsewhere and flourish.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Reactions: ThePhoenixx

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
@guymez

So I've been starting to do some research into what system some of these other teams might deploy, and I'll post them in this thread as I get more info.

So far, for the Lightning:

How The Lightning’s Neutral Zone Defense Has Stymied The Bruins Attack

Courtesy of https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/what-system-does-the-lightning-run.2527907/

Basically, they run a 1-2-2 Wide. More details are in the first link. I'm attempting to get more details about their breakout as well.

I really like what your attempting to put together here.

Go Cloned go! :D

Reactions: Cloned

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Guymez cheering me on, now THAT'S a first. ;)

Its just that you're making it so easy. :D

Seriously though...at this point in the off season anything that adds more intrigue (and a little positivity) to the upcoming season is most welcome. :nod:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Its just that you're making it so easy. :D

Seriously though...at this point in the off season anything that adds more intrigue (and a little positivity) to the upcoming season is most welcome. :nod:

More:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/what-system-do-the-penguins-run.2527927/#post-148803933

Penguins also run the 1-2-2.

Any suggestions which other teams to look at? I was just going to go through most of the top ranked teams last season, but I don’t think Nashville plays that way and I think both Washington and Winnipeg play a more reserved game.

Vegas?

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
img-1916807-f.jpg

Slow down guyz! Water break.

How about you amazing predictors let him play first before assuming? Half of the people on this board look like idiots after making silly predictions about players (Dustin Brown)

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
More:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/what-system-do-the-penguins-run.2527927/#post-148803933

Penguins also run the 1-2-2.

Any suggestions which other teams to look at? I was just going to go through most of the top ranked teams last season, but I don’t think Nashville plays that way and I think both Washington and Winnipeg play a more reserved game.

Vegas?

Washington. ^_^

Aside from Carlson (which is a pretty big difference I admit) I don't think their tool kit as a team is much different than ours.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Washington. ^_^

Aside from Carlson (which is a pretty big difference I admit) I don't think their tool kit as a team is much different than ours.

As a fan of both teams I disagree. Washington has much more skill at all positions besides centre imo.

Forwards:
Ovi>RNH
McDavid>Kuznetsov
Wilson>Rattie/whoever
Vrana>Lucic

Backstrom=Draisaitl
Oshie>Puljujarvi/whoever
Burakovsky>/=Rieder
Eller>Strome

Connolly>Caggiulla
Stephenson>Aberg
Beagle>Brodziak>whoever takes Beagle's spot
Smith-Pelly=Kassian

Defense:
Carlson>Larsson
Klefbom>Kempny if Klef is healthy (hard to judge both players in any case)
Orlov>Nurse
Niskanen>Sekera
Russell>Orpik

Bear>Djoos>Benning

Goaltending:
Holtby>Talbot
Grubauer>Koskinen>Montoya>Copley

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
@guymez

So I've been starting to do some research into what system some of these other teams might deploy, and I'll post them in this thread as I get more info.

So far, for the Lightning:

How The Lightning’s Neutral Zone Defense Has Stymied The Bruins Attack

Courtesy of https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/what-system-does-the-lightning-run.2527907/

Basically, they run a 1-2-2 Wide. More details are in the first link. I'm attempting to get more details about their breakout as well.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The key to the Oilers improving is getting the puck off sticks faster... not just skating faster with the puck.

McDavid is the only guy that can literally blow by people and beat them with pure speed.

The team has a few other players with decent speed... Nurse, Aberg, RNH, Rieder, Kassian, JP... but none of those players are so fast and good with the puck at speed that they are going to blow by the opposition on a regular basis.

What the Oilers need are more touch passes and quick redirection passes where they are quickly pushing the puck forward rather than laboriously skating into and through a wall of opponents and trying to beat them with speed... which rarely works.

Better positioning on breakouts is needed and being able to make/take passes with quick on and off stick touches.

The puck moves much faster than any skater... even McDavid, and there's literally no way the opposition can keep up with a couple quick 1-2 touch passes that puts opposing dmen quickly out of position and opens up space much faster than a guy trying to skate 100 feet forward through congested areas.

It's easier said than done.... but the Oilers have to be smarter and "quicker" with their passing and puck movement and better with their positioning to take/receive passes rather than just faster with their straight ahead skating.

Can they achieve that with the new coaches and strategies being brought in? I don't know... but obviously recognizing their deficiencies and trying to move in a new direction is better than going back to the same well over and over and coming up dry.

NHL teams learn quickly and they seem to have figured out the team outside of McDavid. They realize they can't completely shut down McDavid because his speed is so elite, but the rest of the team is much easier to shut down because they don't have the quickness and positioning to transition up the ice
fast enough to consistently break through the choke points.

How often have we noticed how difficult it seems for Oilers players (without McDavid on the ice) to break out of their own zone and into the opposition end? I've noticed consistently that they are often glacial in their ability to quickly get the puck out and the opposition turns it back often before the Oilers can create any real pressure... getting off a few weak outside shots at best but rarely breaking through and creating much in the way of dangerous scoring chances (again this is without McDavid on the ice).

Other than cloning McDavid... the only way this team improves is if they practice their asses off at being smarter and quicker with positioning/puck movement which hopefully the new blood in the coaching ranks can help them achieve.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
To add to the above post quick touch passing is a game Tampa can play. They specifically recruit players that can play that lightning (excuse pun) style of instant passing.

The Oilers, in contrast, had a season of several players that had difficulty controlling pucks and taking passes even with a methodical passing game. lets break it down;

Strome. Had so much difficulty just taking a pass or controlling the puck last season that he has been getting vision tracking and eye testing and acknowledged he has visual difficulty in one eye.

Caggiulia. Passing to him is like hitting a pinball bumper. you don't know whats happening or where its going to go. He's pure chaos. Not in a great way.

Kass Not even engaged. Unless he has a breakaway he didn't even want the puck much.

Lucic Where to start. Half the season this player could not receive or make a pass. Even playing at a slug pace. Every one of the last 40 games it was comical how much difficulty he would have even trying to control puck or make a play. Strangely Lucic took a ton of shots last season despite scoring only 1o goals and missing the net half the time. Around 15% of his shot attempts could even be considered dangerous.

Khaira- Player brings effort, and hard working but when forced into offensive roles has most games where he struggles to sustain offense and possession. We play this player over his present acumen.

Pulju- Looked uncomfortable with the puck much of the season, had trouble taking passes or making them. Occasional moments where he was on but often looked confused.

Aberg- Can make quick touch plays and move it quickly but has trouble with control or decision making. Turns the puck over a lot.

Nuge, Drai, McD. Yeah, they can play this game, nuff said, but they need somebody they can pass and play with.

Rattie-Showed promise in this regard. Its why he had some success is he anticipates well and can be in the right places and play a quick tempo passing game. Showed promise.

Reider. Good anticipation, quick on puck pressure, would compliment Drai well but has trouble with making plays in tighter quarters. Fortunately Drai will provide him with some open ice in which he's more effective.

Its a quantum leap to get the above lineup to play showtime hockey. We do have the catalysts that can do it but the chemical reaction fairly dies with our winger talent which just are not capable of sustaining offense. No surprise that we require huge seasons from Lucic, Pulju, Reider.

People say wingers are less important but they compose up to 2/3 of a forward lineup. You can't just have fill on the wings.

Add that we have no PMD studs, and that our puck support is inconsistent. Quick strike passing requires solid anticipation, being sharp, and in right positions. Also requires tireless work. The best team ever in hockey (80's Oilers) would practice their breakouts and line rushes constantly and never really being satisfied with it. They were the LA Lakers Showtime equivalent and they were not satisfied with how good their transition was. THAT is dedication. This crew doesn't have that, or the ability aside from a handful of players.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't know if mentioned or how this is going to effect the plan, but TM apparently isn't saying anything about the roster to the new coaches. He wants the new coaches to provide honest feedback to him. Get a different opinion that isn't influenced.

Now with that being said, that probably hurts the coaching staff a bit when coming up with a game plan for the year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Eh, the tools were always there. He wouldn't be the first player whose original team didn't give a meaningful chance to play (for whatever reason), only for him to be given a chance elsewhere and flourish.
This isn't exactly fair. Cogliano himself said it wasn't until Boudreau(2nd coach in ANA) told him that he was a winger that should be more of a fore checker/special teams guys that he finally decided to buy into what coaches had been telling him for years.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Wait wait , so Gulutzan wants to play a faster pace but the team boasting Lucic, Strome, Larsson, an older slower Sekera, Ty Rattie in key positions on this roster. How is this going to be done exactly ? How about Chiarelli go out and get some players who play with pace at key positions....then talk. A 35 year old Brodziak finishing out his career in Edmonton and an unknown Reider who has 12 goals in his last 82 games isnt the solution lol.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Washington. ^_^

If McDavid or Draisaitl isnt on the ice Washington skates the Oilers out of the building. Not even close

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Wait wait , so Gulutzan wants to play a faster pace but the team boasting Lucic, Strome, Larsson, an older slower Sekera, Ty Rattie in key positions on this roster. How is this going to be done exactly ? How about Chiarelli go out and get some players who play with pace at key positions....then talk. A 35 year old Brodziak finishing out his career in Edmonton and an unknown Reider who has 12 goals in his last 82 games isnt the solution lol.

You do realize that this is about moving the puck faster...correct?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This isn't exactly fair. Cogliano himself said it wasn't until Boudreau(2nd coach in ANA) told him that he was a winger that should be more of a fore checker/special teams guys that he finally decided to buy into what coaches had been telling him for years.

I’m talking about Rattie.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You do realize that this is about moving the puck faster...correct?

So the 8 forwards on this team that couldn't control the puck at low speed are going to be better moving it around and shaking and baking high tempo showtime puck movement..

When last seen this same group seldom resembled Harlem Shake, just saying. Maybe being able to deftly make and receive passes is requisite first.

Reactions: McFlash97

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
So the 8 forwards on this team that couldn't control the puck at low speed are going to be better moving it around and shaking and baking high tempo showtime puck movement..

You mean treating the puck like a live grenade doesn't count as "moving the puck faster?"

Reactions: Drivesaitl

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Coaching can make a big impact... negative or positive.... ie Eakins.

I think this team could improve if they worked their asses off practicing better puck movement and positioning.

It's not some pseudo babble "corsi++/swarm" scheme the new coaches are talking about like the previous snakeoil salesman... it's simply getting faster with puck movement... which is obviously something we as fans have seen and acknowledged they must do as well.

To have incoming coaches on the same page and realizing that's an area that has to change is "good" imo. Now we just have to see how capable they and the players are at actually achieving those improvements.

Reactions: guymez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad