2018/19 Edmonton Oilers style of play and identity

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We have little to no information so far. The only thing we know for sure is that the team is going to play a more up tempo fast puck distribution style.
I have no idea how you can discern from that the team will be sloppy defensively.
Its a huge reach IMO.
Okay. Up tempo fast puck distribution style.

Our defense doesn't have a lot of great passers, period. That's been a struggle with our defense for years. So we can implement the system but it'll then lead to a lot of turnovers. We also have a lot of forwards who aren't the best at receiving long passes too. maybe it could work better and the players could learn but that may be throwing away the first few months of the season as players learn to play a system they are not suited to.

Counter point. What makes you think this team has the personelle to play a high tempo puck distribution style of game?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Okay. Up tempo fast puck distribution style.

Our defense doesn't have a lot of great passers, period. That's been a struggle with our defense for years. So we can implement the system but it'll then lead to a lot of turnovers. We also have a lot of forwards who aren't the best at receiving long passes too. maybe it could work better and the players could learn but that may be throwing away the first few months of the season as players learn to play a system they are not suited to.

Counter point. What makes you think this team has the personelle to play a high tempo puck distribution style of game?

Well...I think that GG, Vivreos and Yawney are not going to implement a system that plays against the strengths of the roster.
That doesnt make a lick of sense to me.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well...I think that GG, Vivreos and Yawney are not going to implement a system that plays against the strengths of the roster.
That doesnt make a lick of sense to me.
GG did in Calgary...their system didn't suite their teams ability in the slightest. Yawney and Manny are mostly special teams guys too. It's not hard to believe the team under McLellan could implement the wrong system for the team. Especially since both him and GG have done it in the past

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
GG did in Calgary...their system didn't suite their teams ability in the slightest. Yawney and Manny are mostly special teams guys too. It's not hard to believe the team under McLellan could implement the wrong system for the team. Especially since both him and GG have done it in the past

I watched quite a few Flames games and their issue was multifaceted. Its simplistic to suggest that it was a product of their system.
You seem to be determined to put a negative spin on the outcome for the Oilers....thats fine.
I just need more information before I can draw a conclusion on what this is going to look like.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I watched quite a few Flames games and their issue was multifaceted. Its simplistic to suggest that it was a product of their system.
You seem to be determined to put a negative spin on the outcome for the Oilers....thats fine.
I just need more information before I can draw a conclusion on what this is going to look like.
I also need to see more information to see why it would work for our personel. So far from what we have heard they want to play like Pitts and Tampa. And if that's true it will be a failure for the team as we do not have the players for that style.

That said if we have a system catered to our players it could be fine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad