2018/19 Edmonton Oilers style of play and identity

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Just heard an interview with Glen Gulutzan and he spoke about changing the teams style of play. He talked about utilizing something that would better suit the players on theam. Playing a fast paced game.
He didnt provide a lot of details about what this means specifically to different aspects of their game but I thought it might be worthy for discussion seeing as we are in the dog days of summer.

I found Gulutzans perspective refreshing. I am hoping the team becomes more a puck pressure team than we saw last season. Still playing with structure but with more emphasis on initiating.
Inducing mistakes form the opposition.

Gulutzan expects big changes for the Oilers style of play this season

Without going too deep into it, probably one of the bigger changes that I’ve seen in the National Hockey League, we’re going to change a little bit here. We think it’s really going to speed up our pace of play.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
My guess is he’s adopting the style that TB plays. He says in that article that only two or three teams in the league play the style that they’re going to be adopting.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Do we have the line depth to really play a tempo pressure game all over the ice? Not if we keep tapping McD and Drai constantly and expecting them to do everything on lines. We don't keep the puck well enough to have this as a scheme because there are lots of moments where we don't have the puck which eats up energy and hampers trying to get it back. Puck loss is due to the weakest links on a club and it was most of the season.

Puck pressure here wasn't the issue here as much as puck retention.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
The first thing I want to see, is the Oilers proving that opponents' d-men cannot pinch with impunity. Hard to pressure on offence when you tire yourself out in the d-zone.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Definitely need to find a way to get the D moving that puck to some forwards in motion more. I'd say there is no place for a guy like Russell on a team that wants to do that, but Dan frickin Girardi just played a whole year with Tampa. Orpik just won a cup too :) Can't have too many weak links, but a big part of it is also what the coaches are pushing the guys to do and what is practiced constantly. I think we kept on practising and pushing a lot of very static set plays last year that other teams already figured out. Just another area where a lack of evolution and stubbornness from the stale coaching staff was hurting us.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Do we have the line depth to really play a tempo pressure game all over the ice? Not if we keep tapping McD and Drai constantly and expecting them to do everything on lines. We don't keep the puck well enough to have this as a scheme because there are lots of moments where we don't have the puck which eats up energy and hampers trying to get it back. Puck loss is due to the weakest links on a club and it was most of the season.

Puck pressure here wasn't the issue here as much as puck retention.

lol

If he had said puck possession you would have argued that puck pressure was much more important. ;)

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
My guess is he’s adopting the style that TB plays. He says in that article that only two or three teams in the league play the style that they’re going to be adopting.

That came to mind for me as well. I would be quite happy if that were the case.

Kind of ramps up the curiosity level for this coming season a bit more.

Reactions: Aerrol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
img-1916807-f.jpg

Slow down guyz! Water break.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
How are they trying to outsmart the League? Gulutzan said that a few teams are already using the system they want to implement.

As far as I can see this isnt an Eakins reinvent the wheel thing going on here.

I think the effort and will to make significant systematic changes to the way the team plays is a good thing. It shows that the coaches are at least somewhat adaptable and not completely rigid, which was a complaint about TM last year.

As with everything, effort is only one part of the equation though. We will see how they execute the new gameplan.

Reactions: Aerrol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad