2018-19 Colorado Eagles (AHL) and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I'm surprised so many people are still expressing this sentiment. Am I the only one who listed to the Sakic conference call on July 1st? He clearly stated that one of his main focuses in the offseason was to find a #3 goalie. That clearly hasn't happened yet, but there's still plenty of time, and the best time is probably just before the start of the season when teams are waiving guys and finalizing their goalie depth charts.

Frankly, I actually like what the Avs have been doing with their goalie depth. They've already got the AHL backup in Werner, and now they have the ECHL tandem in Miska and MacDonald. Assuming the #3 guy is legit, we look to be pretty set for this year at least. I especially like that all our current minor league goalies are under 25, which means any one of them could still turn into something. I know that's unlikely, but goalie development seems to be based on the alignment of the stars and gypsy curses, so who knows?
Werner the AHL backup? Who am I missing?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Please no on Sparks. He was awful for the Leafs last season. Everything I've seen and read about him tells me he simply doesn't have the skill to handle NHL-level shots.

Goalies are hard to predict. A small sample size is not enough to write him off and he's at least proven in the AHL. perfect number 3.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Goalies are hard to predict. A small sample size is not enough to write him off and he's at least proven in the AHL. perfect number 3.

...Except there's film of him in the AHL. From what I've seen and read, he's the kind of goalie that makes a lot of spectacular saves because he's actually playing out of position. He has the athleticism to get away with it at the AHL level, but not at the NHL level where the shooters are better.

For the #3 I want a guy who could conceivably win some games for us as an NHL backup, not a project who has tried and failed at the NHL level. I'd either want a goalie who has had some past success in the NHL or a waiver-exempt guy who shows signs of being NHL ready. Colin Delia would be the absolute perfect guy, but that isn't realistic.

So to me the targets should either be guys like Condon or Reimer, or guys like Grosenick or Ingram in Nashville, or Adin Hill in Arizona.

Reactions: Richard88

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
...Except there's film of him in the AHL. From what I've seen and read, he's the kind of goalie that makes a lot of spectacular saves because he's actually playing out of position. He has the athleticism to get away with it at the AHL level, but not at the NHL level where the shooters are better.

For the #3 I want a guy who could conceivably win some games for us as an NHL backup, not a project who has tried and failed at the NHL level. I'd either want a goalie who has had some past success in the NHL or a waiver-exempt guy who shows signs of being NHL ready. Colin Delia would be the absolute perfect guy, but that isn't realistic.

So to me the targets should either be guys like Condon or Reimer, or guys like Grosenick or Ingram in Nashville, or Adin Hill in Arizona.

Interesting. I didn't really think that AHL and NHL would have such a gap in goaltending. I totally agree though, we do want someone who can conceivably "not lose" games for us.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
According to some Tampa fans on the forum they are apparently planning to bury Condon in the minors so Domingue will likely be the odd one out and could probably be had for a very late pick.

Vasilevsky
McElhinney

Condon
Domingue
Spencer Martin
Wedgewood

Wouldn't mind Condon or Reimer either, particularly if they bring back a decent pick or two as well.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I'm surprised so many people are still expressing this sentiment. Am I the only one who listed to the Sakic conference call on July 1st? He clearly stated that one of his main focuses in the offseason was to find a #3 goalie. That clearly hasn't happened yet, but there's still plenty of time, and the best time is probably just before the start of the season when teams are waiving guys and finalizing their goalie depth charts.

Frankly, I actually like what the Avs have been doing with their goalie depth. They've already got the AHL backup in Werner, and now they have the ECHL tandem in Miska and MacDonald. Assuming the #3 guy is legit, we look to be pretty set for this year at least. I especially like that all our current minor league goalies are under 25, which means any one of them could still turn into something. I know that's unlikely, but goalie development seems to be based on the alignment of the stars and gypsy curses, so who knows?
Since that press conference Avs have signed two goalies in Miska and McDonald so it might appear to some that one of those are the options Sakic was talking about and that we're going with for the AHL. Neither of them is what we need as a No.3 though.

I agree about the age profile of the goalies. Stocking up on guys who still have some potential, however small, is much better than just going with veteran guys who will for sure never materialise into what they already are already.

Reactions: MarkT

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Domingue won't play nicely in the AHL, so unless you're willing to alienate Frank, Domingue isn't an option here.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Found this article about Cannata signing in Sweden, and he mentioned Andrew Raycroft works with his goalie coach.

Wonder if he meant an off season goalie coach or if Raycroft worked with Parkkila to help the Avs minor league guys? He had been volunteering with UCONN as a goalie coach until 2016-17.

“It feels very exciting to come to Umeå and Björklöven,” Cannata said. “I have heard very good things about Umeå from Andrew Raycroft, who played in Björklöven a few seasons ago. He works with my goalkeeper coach and he only has good things to say about the fans, the city and the organization.”

Cannata signs with IF Björklöven in Sweden

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Why can't we just get Darling? He's a good teammate, knows what it takes since he's been through a lot, one of the better depth options in case of injuries, and has the talent to take our team to the AHL playoffs again.

Plus he always has sick pad designs.

Depends I guess. He showed up to Canes camp after signing his big deal in less-than-ideal physical condition (at least according to Rod the Bod) and it was downhill from there, and then he stunk it up so bad in the AHL he had to take a leave of absence. I'm certainly not opposed to the Avs bringing him in, but he'd still be a pretty massive gamble.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Hope they keep Budweiser around in some capacity. Only been there once for a concert many years ago but it was a gorgeous venue from what I could tell.

It will end up either being a dirt facility for redneck things or torn down for a parking garage.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hope they keep Budweiser around in some capacity. Only been there once for a concert many years ago but it was a gorgeous venue from what I could tell.
It's a solid venue, but also in the absolute middle of nowhere. Honestly, I wish they played where the Rocky Mountain Rage used to play in Broomfield, that arena is vacant and in a prime location off the highway in the middle of three large sections around Denver. Loveland has a solid fanbase, but man it really is a pain to drive there, even from Thornton.

Reactions: ljb4 and McMetal

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Saw the Avs play at the Bud. My first live look at Svatos, and he was shiny. Was cool being so close to the action, for a price that did not break the bank. Even thought about season tickets for the Eagles. Too bad it was too long a drive from Laramie to make regularly (even though a few years later I started playing summer league hockey not far from there).

Also saw the Rage play at the BEC. Glass tickets for cheap. Got the wife a jersey, though it was passed along when we got rid of everything in prep to move to Thailand. Good venue, and I told my father-in-law, who lived in Westminister at the time, to get season tickets. Parking and access was the worst though, given such a small arena (there may have been other construction interfering at that time).

I am all for a bigger arena for them, as I think they can make it worth it. Plus everything else in that complex. Though I see no need to make it closer to Denver. Northern Colorado fans are the ones that made the Eagles a success, and moving away from that base so metro area residents save 20 minutes would be dumb.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
There was an article on it in the DP, it will be just north of the old one. I like new builds and what all they’ll be able to put up there but some of the BEC charm is having a small barn.
You're right that it is quite a hostile place for opposing teams, which I consider that a good thing. I don't know how much more people they're going to be able to fit in since 10k seems awfully steep, but hopefully they still have a low ceiling on the arena to keep it hostile.

Going north is a terrible decision though, there's nothing between them and FoCo (well probably where they got land cheap).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
You're right that it is quite a hostile place for opposing teams, which I consider that a good thing. I don't know how much more people they're going to be able to fit in since 10k seems awfully steep, but hopefully they still have a low ceiling on the arena to keep it hostile.

Going north is a terrible decision though, there's nothing between them and FoCo (well probably where they got land cheap).

It will be directly north... right next door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad