2018-19 Blackhawks Roster Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
does Capfriendly know what the future deals are going to be such as Schmaltz' resigning?
No, but if you figure on Schmaltz making about $6m a year, Panarin signing for $9m, and a two million increase for the 19-20 season, then one could make it work. Again, Capfriendly's Armchair GM is an amazing toy to play around with in this regard.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
No, but if you figure on Schmaltz making about $6m a year, Panarin signing for $9m, and a two million increase for the 19-20 season, then one could make it work. Again, Capfriendly's Armchair GM is an amazing toy to play around with in this regard.

oh I know what cap friendly is, I just don't think adding high priced salaries to a plethora of already high priced and some of those grossly overpaid salaries in addition to signing schmaltz is a recipe for anything but disaster.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
oh I know what cap friendly is, I just don't think adding high priced salaries to a plethora of already high priced and some of those grossly overpaid salaries in addition to signing schmaltz is a recipe for anything but disaster.
We can make it work for next season provided we trade Manning and Murphy (could even re-sign Forsling and Sikura for a couple million a piece).

And in the near future, we'll have guys like Crawford, Anisimov, and Saad off our books. Admittedly, you'd rather re-sign Saad then let him walk, but we could always trade him if we had to. Not to mention there is always the possibility of a league wide buyout, which would be used for Seabs.

We can maneuver around the cap a bit for the foreseeable future even with Panarin back.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiHawks10

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Kane going to be in his ear to come back. If they meet Panarin AAV demands and can sell him on a quick retool, they can make as good of a pitch as LA and NYR.

Lets remember its rumored he wants to play in a big city.

Tampa is the real threat imo with Yzerman always ready to make a big move, Kucherov, nice weather, no state tax etc. Then STL and Nashville make a lot of sense as well although they don’t fit the big city bill.

It will probably be a similar process to Tavares but Hawks will actually get a seat at the table.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

What would you suggest, then? Wallowing around in mediocrity for the next 5-7 years left in Kane and Toews careers? Being a playoff bubble team, which never has a chance to truly contend? Being bounced in the first round, or possibly second round every year?

Where would the Hawks be if they had never aggressively pursued Hossa when they did? They wouldn't have 3 Cups in the past 8 years. I can tell you that much.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
What would you suggest, then? Wallowing around in mediocrity for the next 5-7 years left in Kane and Toews careers? Being a playoff bubble team, which never has a chance to truly contend? Being bounced in the first round, or possibly second round every year?

Where would the Hawks be if they had never aggressively pursued Hossa when they did? They wouldn't have 3 Cups in the past 8 years. I can tell you that much.

I would have expected them to understand and know when a rebuild is necessary and that would have started when the should have traded Seabrook instead of signing him to what is likely going to be the worst contract in hawks history. The pieces that could have been sold off at that time should have been then we would not have waisted assets like TT/Danault/Johns/Leddy(i think he may have been before) in any case you get the picture.

Instead the hawks think the glory years will last forever instead of selling when they could have.

The only major contributer to a cup run that the hawks will have (from the past) in the near future if they get to that point again will be Kane.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I would have expected them to understand and know when a rebuild is necessary and that would have started when the should have traded Seabrook instead of signing him to what is likely going to be the worst contract in hawks history. The pieces that could have been sold off at that time should have been then we would not have waisted assets like TT/Danault/Johns/Leddy(i think he may have been before) in any case you get the picture.

Instead the hawks think the glory years will last forever instead of selling when they could have.

The only major contributer to a cup run that the hawks will have (from the past) in the near future if they get to that point again will be Kane.

Yep. It reached the pinnacle with the unbelievable 8-year contract extension gifted to Seabs that sadly many of us saw coming. That contract alone was enough to get a GM fired.

Reactions: Blackhawks

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yep. It reached the pinnacle with the unbelievable 8-year contract extension gifted to Seabs that sadly many of us saw coming. That contract alone was enough to get a GM fired.

Hyperbole much? That contract was bad due to the term, and everyone knew it. No one realized how bad it was until Seabs fell off a cliff the following season. I'm pretty sure the season he signed his contract, he had like 50 points. And was still a very good D. He was top 20 in both All Star and Norris voting that season. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018

That mediocrity is already here. And I wouldn't actually call the next few years mediocre. It implies middle of the pack. Finishing in last place in their division last year was not mediocre. It was just bad. Really bad.

Personally I don't think the hawks are close to a playoff bubble team and I don't see anything in the pipeline that will change that in the near future. They have a long way to go just to be 'mediocre'.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
That mediocrity is already here. And I wouldn't actually call the next few years mediocre. It implies middle of the pack. Finishing in last place in their division last year was not mediocre. It was just bad. Really bad.

Personally I don't think the hawks are close to a playoff bubble team and I don't see anything in the pipeline that will change that in the near future. They have a long way to go just to be 'mediocre'.

Never said it wasn't. But if you don't develop your young talent, plus pursue some dynamic FAs, you stay there. That's what I was getting at...

You're entitled to your opinion, but I strongly disagree.

The Hawks weren't as bad last year as they displayed the second half of the season. They were a playoff team until Crow was out. At that point, the entire team was seemingly checked out from the time he did, or shortly after. The team will be middle of the pack this year, so long as goaltending isn't a dumpster fire again, and likely a playoff team, IMO.

As far as nothing in the pipeline that will change it in the near future? :huh:

There's not a bunch of top pairing/top 4 D prospects developing, right? Forward prospects are a little light. But there are also numerous very good forward prospects that will end up on the Hawks roster this season... and a few that were already here that should take the next step.

On that note, this season needs to start already. The doom and gloom around here is almost unbearable the majority of the time.

Last edited:

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
Never said it wasn't. But if you don't develop your young talent, plus pursue some dynamic FAs, you stay there. That's what I was getting at...

You're entitled to your opinion, but I strongly disagree.

The Hawks weren't as bad last year as they displayed the second half of the season. They were a playoff team until Crow was out. At that point, the entire team was seemingly checked out from the time he did, or shortly after. The team will be middle of the pack this year, so long as goaltending isn't a dumpster fire again, and likely a playoff team, IMO.

As far as nothing in the pipeline that will change it in the near future? :huh:

There's not a bunch of top pairing/top 4 D prospects developing... Forward prospects are a little light. But there's also numerous very good forward prospects that will end up on the Hawks roster this season... and a few that were here already that should take the next step.

On that note, this season needs to start already. The doom and gloom around here is almost unbearable the majority of the time.
Tough to judge when there were what, 47 games remaining? It was December? Entirely too much hockey left to make that judgement call, but they were in the "race" you could say.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Tough to judge when there were what, 47 games remaining? It was December? Entirely too much hockey left to make that judgement call, but they were in the "race" you could say.

To clarify what I meant, they were actually in a playoff position when Crow went down. I believe they were the 7th or 8th seed at the time. And would have likely been "in the race" as you said.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
I love the optimism 10 but I just see it as wishful thinking. You seem to believe the Crawford rumors as well. If so you must realize deep down that he is just not coming back the same guy. And that is if he comes back. So expect the dumpster fire in net.

The doom and gloom is not just here. It's everywhere. Just a reflection of the bleak picture. Here:

NHL Standings Predictions: Offseason Edition

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I love the optimism 10 but I just see it as wishful thinking. You seem to believe the Crawford rumors as well. If so you must realize deep down that he is just not coming back the same guy. And that is if he comes back. So expect the dumpster fire in net.

The doom and gloom is not just here. It's everywhere. Just a reflection of the bleak picture. Here:

NHL Standings Predictions: Offseason Edition

I won't know what to expect in net until the games start. :thumbu:

I've never been one to write off a season before it even starts. I've never been one to write this team off , in general, in a game, in a series, in a season. So we just have to wait and see.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Hyperbole much? That contract was bad due to the term, and everyone knew it. No one realized how bad it was until Seabs fell off a cliff the following season. I'm pretty sure the season he signed his contract, he had like 50 points. And was still a very good D. He was top 20 in both All Star and Norris voting that season. Hindsight is always 20/20.

This has been re-hashed many times. I'm not about to get into it again ... other than to say it was not the Seabs contract alone. It was just another bad contract, the worst yet, brought on by Stan falling in love with his past performers.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
This has been re-hashed many times. I'm not about to get into it again ... other than to say it was not the Seabs contract alone. It was just another bad contract, the worst yet, brought on by Stan falling in love with his past performers.

I'm addressing specifically what you said, and then you changed your tune in this post. That statement was gross hyperbole on your part, and said for no other reason than to push a narrative. You said "that signing alone" was enough to get Stan fired. And just now contradicted that statement when called on it, and said "other than to say it was not the Seabs contract alone." using your excuse that it was already gone over numerous times, so you don't want to bother getting into it again? :laugh: So which is it? That signing alone? Or that signing, plus other bad contracts prior? :huh: I'm confused.

And what were the other bad contracts at that time, in 2015? Toews and Kane? That has been gone over numerous times. They weren't letting them walk. And for good reason. Bickell? His contract was fine, maybe a slight overpayment, if you don't take into account the MS that obviously had a dramatic effect on his play... Kruger? He took a sweetheart deal the year prior, and signed a one year contract for under what he should be paid, so they could keep him around. So they repaid the favor, and gave him a slight overpayment(by about 500k) on the next one. What past performers did he fall in love with and sign at the time he signed Seabs in 2015? Because I'm pretty sure he hadn't tried to bring anyone back at that time. Those all came later, just these past few seasons. Versteeg left in 2010, and came back in 2013, and was an adequate contributor for his contract/cap hit, especially considering Florida ate half of it. No one else that I can really remember off the top of my head. How about you?

I suppose he deserves no benefit of the doubt for the great contracts he signed players to, right? The bridge deals for T&K that allowed them to win multiple Cups in a short time period? When they were $8-9m players making 6m? The great Hammer deal? The great Crawford deal? The great Hossa deal? The great Keith deal? Shall I continue?

Sorry, but your second post here was just a cop-out for making a ridiculous statement in the first one, and being called on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: migi

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Wow. I take it all back. Stan is actually a genius. :sarcasm:

Hey, I understand you want to keep it positive. You're doing a good job of that.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Wow. I take it all back. Stan is actually a genius. :sarcasm:

Hey, I understand you want to keep it positive. You're doing a good job of that.

Why do people always have to go to either extreme? I can acknowledge the good Stan has done and still acknowledge that he's done bad on stuff too. I just think the "Stan is terrible, fire him." narrative is overblown on here. To epic proportions. For those who think that, who would you recommend as a replacement then? Right now. Your decision. You just fired Stan. Who are you hiring to replace him?(Not just you specifically Bobby.)

Reactions: migi

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Hopefully, you're not insinuating that Stan is irreplaceable.
My preference would be to replace Stan and Q at the same time and bring in a GM who has a coach in mind - one who is on the same page. If that coach is Colliton, so be it.

Extreme? Perhaps but complacency is contagious and after the great successes I'm afraid complacency is settling in, in Chicago.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Hopefully, you're not insinuating that Stan is irreplaceable.
My preference would be to replace Stan and Q at the same time and bring in a GM who has a coach in mind - one who is on the same page. If that coach is Colliton, so be it.

Extreme? Perhaps but complacency is contagious and after the great successes I'm afraid complacency is settling in, in Chicago.

Not at all. I just don't know who I would replace him with. I don't know who is out there that is better. So I'm curious what people who want him fired think. Who would they replace him with right now if they were the owner, and fired him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad