2018-19 Blackhawks Roster Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Oh ffs, how exactly would you have done that against the advice of their agents and the NHLPA?

I want to hear how you’d open that conversation, word for word.

Are you saying the NHLPA where giving advice to T & K on contract negotiations?

Not sure what I would have said but it likely would have went something like this.

hey JT you have already made 35 million in your short career, this contract will at 9.5 will make you another 75 million, that is 110 million bucks.

hey PK you have already made 34 million in your short career, this contract will at 9.5 will make you another 75 million, that is 110 million bucks.

how about you take those deals to keep a team together so that we could maybe win say 5 or 6 cups, that 2 mill/year extra will be used to pay other players a bit more.

or you can be greedy spoiled young lads and demand 9 mill extra each and see the team be unable to field effective players in the future.

So do you need 119 million or could you manage on 110 million and hope to keep in contention for a longer period of time so you may win more cups.

Oh and by the way either one of you can go out and make an additional 10 million in marketing at the drop of the hat if you want

In any case I am sure that people will critique and rip apart what I have wrote here but it is what it is, the truth.

a couple spoiled punks that don't think they can manage on 110 million bucks...

Stan got beat plain and simple, he is a terrible negotiator and that is clear as day.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Not sure what I would have said but it likely would have went something like this.

hey JT you have already made 35 million in your short career, this contract will at 9.5 will make you another 75 million, that is 110 million bucks.

hey PK you have already made 34 million in your short career, this contract will at 9.5 will make you another 75 million, that is 110 million bucks.

how about you take those deals to keep a team together so that we could maybe win say 5 or 6 cups, that 2 mill/year extra will be used to pay other players a bit more.

or you can be greedy spoiled young lads and demand 9 mill extra each and see the team be unable to field effective players in the future.

So do you need 119 million or could you manage on 110 million and hope to keep in contention for a longer period of time so you may win more cups.

Oh and by the way either one of you can go out and make an additional 10 million in marketing at the drop of the hat if you want

In any case I am sure that people will critique and rip apart what I have wrote here but it is what it is, the truth.

Stan got beat plain and simple, he is a terrible negotiator and that is clear as day.

Are you saying the PA isn’t in the ears of players and agents during contract negotiations?

Also, players have an absolute right to get as much as they possibly can and that absolutely doesn’t make them “spoiled lads” lol. One hit, and it’s all over. Not just their career, but potentially a normal life.

Also, players don’t keep every dime of their salary like you’re implying. There’s taxes, agent fees, and whoever else has their hands in an athlete’s pockets.

You opening up the conversation by demeaning the franchise’s two biggest stars in decades would’ve immediately driven them to free agency. Good job, you’re the GM who forced Toews and Kane out of Chicago while they were still in their prime.

There with be a Featherhawk statue of shame outside the UC in your honor.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

And if they still say no, and wait till ufa then what so you do?

Say it actually does go the same and they win their 3rd Cup and are UFAs directly after. Let them walk or pay them the 12 mil they were asking for? Then who got screwed big time?

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
who knows, he has never been a GM at the NHL level so you don't know that and niether do I, as I mentioned before it was a suggestion, that is what chi hawks 10 asked for.
But Stan has been a very successful GM at the NHL level. And ChiHawks asked for someone better, not an unknown who isn't better.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
sure you can pay your best players within reason, but if you do you need to cut back on some other peoples salaries and he did not keep that in mind when he signed Seabrook or AA to his extension without even skating a day for the club
Seabs is the only one that's a problem. AAs contract is fine, as are most of the other deals on the team.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

It would have been interesting to see how a GM like Stevie Y would have handled the T/K signings. I doubt for example they both would have negotiated identical salaries.... but that's water under the bridge and Hawks (with both players in their primes age-wise) find themselves in a fight to stay out of the Central Division basement, languishing in the bottom third of the NHL. As for Seabs contract, embarrassingly bad from the day it was inked. Everyone agrees on that one. Well, most everyone.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
It would have been interesting to see how a GM like Stevie Y would have handled the T/K signings. I doubt for example they both would have negotiated identical salaries.... but that's water under the bridge and Hawks (with both players in their primes age-wise) find themselves in a fight to stay out of the Central Division basement, languishing in the bottom third of the NHL. As for Seabs contract, embarrassingly bad from the day it was inked. Everyone agrees on that one. Well, most everyone.

Ya, that’s information you have now. You didn’t know that would happen when the deals were being negotiated

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Yzerman hasn't had to deal with his players actually winning something.
I think theres a big difference in the value there. But also Yzerman has done things like let his star player go to ufa to get his price down but during a playoff race you're contending. Maybe if Stamkos was locked up he'd be able to be more secure in play and not get criticized for poor elimination game play. But they choose the stay competitive longer game but could of had him locked in vs that Pittsburgh ecf series.

You see a lot of what Ryan Ellis said about building for a team that can compete for years by staying on cheaper deals... on those serial contenders that never won. That is a easier cheaper angle to sell but once guys won they or their agents push for that bonus cup winner value. Like people talked about Vancuover or San Jose the last decade. It's a lot of better deals to keep the team a contender because they're close.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Yzerman hasn't had to deal with his players actually winning something.

gettyimages-979771222-e1529548784494.jpg

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Hawkaholic meant cups. Toews and Kane's value skyrocketed once they won in 2013. Multiple cups and each having a Conn Smythe jacks the price way up. And if they walked in summer 2015 after another cup win, they would've gotten $12m from someone.

Seabs is the same way, except we all knew he was going to regress big time before that contract was through. It was better to walk away and let some other GM pay for his previous cups, and that'll likely go down as the biggest mistake Bowman will have made in his tenure here.

But cup wins come at a cost. A cost Yzerman never had to pay outside of old farts who've won elsewhere like Kunitz.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL

Stan had no leverage in the negotiations. Let the two guys who won two previous Cups walk to save $4m in cap? Who was in the pipeline to replace half the Hawks core? You can't bank on FA at that time when the team was in the midst of their three Cup run. Pay them.

Those two spoiled punks rewarded Stan and the franchise another Cup the year following their contract signing lol.

And I got a feeling there's a better chance Panarin returns before we see Crow in net again. Crazy, I know.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
yes the T&K signings happened, were they overpaid? one of them was for sure.

this was the beginning of the fall and as I said earlier when Stan signed Seabrook, the three contracts of 10.5, 10.5 and 6.85 together was a clear signal that the demise of the hawks was sealed.

27.85 million per year for a 6-7 Dman that gets walked on a daily basis, a checking C that scores 50 or so points per year and an offensive gifted superstar is too much to spend and will saddle the team moving forward and that is what we are witnessing.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
When Toews signed his contract, he was easily just as important to the Hawks as Kane was, and he was a 68pt player (in 76 games) the year he signed it, and a point per game player the year prior, not to mention, a Stanley Cup Champ for the 2nd time. You can't say he was overpaid at the time, and that Kane wasn't. Hindsight is 20/20.

Those contracts are not the problem. Seabs is, as was Bickells.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
When Toews signed his contract, he was easily just as important to the Hawks as Kane was, and he was a 68pt player (in 76 games) the year he signed it, and a point per game player the year prior, not to mention, a Stanley Cup Champ for the 2nd time. You can't say he was overpaid at the time, and that Kane wasn't. Hindsight is 20/20.

Beat me to it by a minute.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Bickell's contract wouldn't have been bad at all if he had stayed healthy. No way to foresee MS doing what it did to his career. He was coming off a dominant playoff run, and if he had maintained that(I know, consistency was his biggest issue) then he would have been great on that contract. And even if he didn't stay entirely consistent at that playoff level, the contract would have been movable without losing TT, easily. At his regular production of around 30 points, he was overpaid by about 1m per season, IMO. He was solid defensively, and a solid, positive possession player throughout his career.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad