Prospect Info: [2018 - 123rd] Jack Gorniak (NCAA - University of Wisconsin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Watched him play tonight vs Clarkson, not a good game to catch him as he doesn't see much PP time and there were a lot of calls as the game was kind of chippy. He only got on the PP when his team had a 5 minute PP and even then I doubt he was on for 30 seconds. He's a bit undersized but good speed/skating for sure. Was physical, had a couple decent hits and showed he likes to throw the body. I should get to see him again tomorrow.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Watched him play tonight vs Clarkson, not a good game to catch him as he doesn't see much PP time and there were a lot of calls as the game was kind of chippy. He only got on the PP when his team had a 5 minute PP and even then I doubt he was on for 30 seconds. He's a bit undersized but good speed/skating for sure. Was physical, had a couple decent hits and showed he likes to throw the body. I should get to see him again tomorrow.
What's your opinion on Sean Dhooghe ? Do you think he'd ever be able to play pro at his size ? I've been impressed by Tarek Baker too, he had a real good freshman season last year. Both guys could get potential UFA looks down the road.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What's your opinion on Sean Dhooghe ? Do you think he'd ever be able to play pro at his size ? I've been impressed by Tarek Baker too, he had a real good freshman season last year. Both guys could get potential UFA looks down the road.

man is Dhooghe small but if he breaks out this year then teams will certainly take notice. Baker I wasn't paying too much attention to, I plan on watching them tonight so I'll keep a closer eye on him. I know they called his name a lot last night.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

So Dhooghe had a good game 2 goals and now has 5 in 4 games after getting just 6 all last year. For a maybe 5'3 player I'd like him more if he had that Byron kind of speed or close to it, but it looks like he's going to have a breakout. I know I'll be seeing Wisconsin again for sure in a few weeks when they play North Dakota so I'll keep an eye on and Baker who again I just didn't notice too much but I was doing a lot more flipping back and forth with the Habs game then I planned on.

Gorniak still didn't play a lot and that was disappointing as they smoked SLU so you would think it would have been a great time to get him some more ice. He plays hard though every shift, he's always looking to finish his checks, good speed too.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
So Dhooghe had a good game 2 goals and now has 5 in 4 games after getting just 6 all last year. For a maybe 5'3 player I'd like him more if he had that Byron kind of speed or close to it, but it looks like he's going to have a breakout. I know I'll be seeing Wisconsin again for sure in a few weeks when they play North Dakota so I'll keep an eye on and Baker who again I just didn't notice too much but I was doing a lot more flipping back and forth with the Habs game then I planned on.
I like Dhooghe's motor a lot, he's the kind of player that's always around the puck, making things happen. The lack of size and physical tools will always be an issue with him obviously but if he continues to produce at the college level he should be worth an AHL/ECHL deal to someone out there.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

So got to watch last nights game, Gorniak was moved up to the 2nd line with Baker and Dhooghe. Gorniak had two good chances to score right in the slot but one his shot was blocked and the other a good save. That line looked good though, hard working and quick as Gorniak is all motor, he never stops moving his feet and always finishes his checks.

Terrible game though for Wisconsin, they got steamrolled by North Dakota, 5-0 and that was with a goal disallowed that should have counted imo. Plus they had a few other quality chances that I thought would be easy goals.

If you get to see them this year, keep a look out for their undrafted backup goalie from Finland Daniel Lebedeff, he looked good in relief in a very tough situation, might be something there.

Reactions: Acadien86 and Mrb1p

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
So got to watch last nights game, Gorniak was moved up to the 2nd line with Baker and Dhooghe. Gorniak had two good chances to score right in the slot but one his shot was blocked and the other a good save. That line looked good though, hard working and quick as Gorniak is all motor, he never stops moving his feet and always finishes his checks.

Terrible game though for Wisconsin, they got steamrolled by North Dakota, 5-0 and that was with a goal disallowed that should have counted imo. Plus they had a few other quality chances that I thought would be easy goals.

If you get to see them this year, keep a look out for their undrafted backup goalie from Finland Daniel Lebedeff, he looked good in relief in a very tough situation, might be something there.
I try to watch at least one college game every weekend but I haven't seen Wisconsin play yet this year. They're on my list since I'm curious about Gorniak so it's only a matter of time. Thanks for the report, excellent as always :thumbu:

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#TheGorniak'sNHLDraftCombine2018Results

Gorniak on the top 25 (results) in 12 of 20 tests and been classed #1 once.

1)Wingate Cycle Ergometer Test:

-Peak Power Output: #7 (18.6 watts/kilogram)

-Mean Power Output: #8 (15.8 watts/kilogram)

2)Bench Press:

-50% of Body Weight: #3 (7.74 watts/kilogram)

3)Jump Station:

- No Arm Jump: #5 (20.51 inches)

- Squat Jump:#5 (20.77 inches)

-Vertical Jump: #6 (23.71 inches)

4)Agility & Balance (Pro Agility Test):

-Pro Agility Left (Max Speed): #1 (13.5 miles per hour)

-Pro Agility Right: #3 (4.3 seconds)

-Pro Agility Left: #4 (4.3 seconds)

-Right Max speed: #21 (12.1 miles per hour)

5)Fitness Test:

-Pull-Ups Consecutive (max): #15 (12 pull-ups)

6)Standing Long Jump:

-Long Jump: #6 (111.8 inches)

Reactions: Tyson

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
My scouting report on Jack Gorniak this past season.

Jack Gorniak is a quick speedy forward with a high stamina level. His long-running motor and ability to keep his feet moving coupled with an active stick make him a great forechecker. He does well both on the forecheck and defensively to disrupt plays with that active stick. A solid defensive player that has some decent hands and offensive instincts. Gorniak has good puck protection skills and can efficiently keep possession while fending off defenders at high speeds. Gorniak’s release is average at best but can sometimes fool goaltenders with his sneaky release.

Notes: Habs Prospects in the NCAA

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
My scouting report on Jack Gorniak this past season.

Jack Gorniak is a quick speedy forward with a high stamina level. His long-running motor and ability to keep his feet moving coupled with an active stick make him a great forechecker. He does well both on the forecheck and defensively to disrupt plays with that active stick. A solid defensive player that has some decent hands and offensive instincts. Gorniak has good puck protection skills and can efficiently keep possession while fending off defenders at high speeds. Gorniak’s release is average at best but can sometimes fool goaltenders with his sneaky release.

Notes: Habs Prospects in the NCAA

I recall him flying around,but no finish,habs have enough of that.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Gorniak is essentialy a grind type of player. His work ethic is contagious. He'll have to reinvent himself. On his shifts, he's seeable and unseeable at the same time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hed be a grinder if he ever made it.

Kind of my assessment towards him as well. When Evans was 20, he already had a solid age 19 season and put up 42 pts in 40 games. I'll be very surprised if Gorniak even gets a ELC. I have much higher hopes with Stapley who was drafted after him.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Gorniak is essentially a gym rat. That being said, he gotta work on his finishing and skating.

He could be a AHL'er if things turn out well for him...

upload_2020-6-30_13-8-44.png

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
His great combine was one of the main thing that caught Timmins eye initially. He loves those natural athlete types.
which is sometimes weird to think a 16-17 years old is physically ready. a lot can change between 17-21 for young men and some of them really start to develops some serious strength in their 20's

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
68 Badgers named to winter Academic All-Big Ten Team

He was named to the 2019-20 Academic All-Big Ten team (University of Wisconsin) :thumbu:
“To be eligible for Academic All-Big Ten selection, students must be on a varsity team, as verified by being on the official squad list as of March 1 for winter sports, who've been enrolled full-time at the institution for a minimum of 12 months and carry a cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 or higher.”

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He wont be signed unless they wanna repeat the Pezetta disaster. Dont sign long shot role player prospects to ELCs if it means you have to cut prospects with higher upsides because of lack of contact space.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He wont be signed unless they wanna repeat the Pezetta disaster. Dont sign long shot role player prospects to ELCs if it means you have to cut prospects with higher upsides because of lack of contact space.

He will be 22 by the time he needs to be signed so it would only be a 2 years contract. We will see how he does in the next two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad