Prospect Info: [2018 - 123rd] Jack Gorniak (NCAA - University of Wisconsin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I knew they couldn't resist drafting an American playing in the NCAA.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Eggenberger is available and you take him? So pissed we passed on Kurashev ....

Reactions: Bargainbin

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
maxresdefault.jpg

Tons of potential... October 17th

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
might be the first kid they ever drafted out of the Wisconsin USHS. Going to Wisconsin next year, they had a tough year in the Big 10, coached by former NHLer Tony Granato.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'll give you guys the info I have on him

Gorniak missed out on last year’s draft by hours, being a 9/15/99 DOB but had he been eligible last year it’s unlikely he would have been drafted. Gorniak got on many scouts radar this past fall playing for Team Wisconsin U18 in the Midwest Elite League against Minnesota HS competition where he was among the league leaders in goals and points in 21 games played. Gorniak is a speedy, opportunistic center that does a good job in harnessing his speed to use as a weapon. While his playmaking ability is not high end, he is able to create offensive chances by getting himself and the puck to key areas of the ice. Gorniak has a ways to go physically but shows good first and second effort for pucks and as he gets stronger he should become a serviceable fore-checker and someone that can win important battles at both ends of the ice. Gorniak is a good two-way center that executes his assignments in his own end efficiently and is good in the faceoff circle. Gorniak has signed a letter of intent to The University of Wisconsin where he will play this fall. With hardly any junior hockey experience, the jump Gorniak faces this fall, going from Wisconsin High School to NCAA hockey is a substantial one but he will be a long term prospect for any team that selects him. “Opponents really keyed on him with his High School team, he was about the only offensive weapon they had and he still managed to put up good numbers. You could tell he was really pressing at times, he certainly makes better decisions with talent around him.” HP Scout, Dusten Braaksma “I don’t see him as player that is ever going to drive or create offense at the NHL level.” NHL Scout, February 2018 “That kid can really skate so he’ll get drafted for that alone.” - NHL Scout, February 2018 “A lot of buzz on him but I don’t think he has any hockey sense.” - NHL Scout, April 2018 “Had some impressive tests at the NHL Combine.” - NHL Scout, June 2018

WS #11 LC Gorniak, Jack (2018) – Aside from a few shifts early in the game as well as scoring a goal in the 3rdon a breakaway with the game almost out of reach, Jack was not very good in this game. Gorniak didn’t use his speed very well. He tended to attempt to pullup with the puck and try to stick handle through defenders rather than gaining the edge and driving the net. He didn’t make a lot of attempts to gain middle ice in the offensive zone and as a result played a very perimeter game. West Salem was overmatched depth wise in this game and it showed as EauClaire was able to shut down Gorniak’ s line and dictate the game using their depth.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
NHL Draft: West Salem/Bangor's Jack Gorniak ready to learn his fate

West Salem/Bangor boys hockey coach Eric Borre has a message for 32 NHL teams: don’t pass on Jack Gorniak.
The NHL Draft is Friday and Saturday, and Gorniak has set himself up to be selected by one of the 32 teams this weekend.
After having a stellar performance at the NHL Central Scouting Combine in Buffalo, N.Y., last month, Gorniak received a spot in the top 100 North American skaters in NHL Central Scouting’s final rankings.
Gorniak was a three-time member of the Wisconsin Hockey Coaches Association All-State team and was player of the year as a senior.
“My gut reaction is yes,” said Borre of the chances Gorniak will be drafted. “It’s hard to say. He’s earned it. I think they’re making a big mistake (if teams pass on him).”

Gorniak’s week has been a busy one. He moved to Madison to start his collegiate career with the Wisconsin Badgers. He also started practicing with the team and took his first classes as a freshman.
Even with the NHL hype, according to Borre, all of Gorniak’s focus is on the Badgers. It is unique for a high school player to advance immediately to the Division I hockey level.

“He’s going to be the type of ‘What can I get out of right now?” Borre said. “Whatever happens with the draft happens. Whatever happens down the road, happens down the road. Knowing him, he’s always been an ‘in-the-moment’ type of player.”
Well, what can Gorniak get out of right now?
“He’s going to improve as much this summer alone than he has in any summer of his life,” Borre said. “He gets to work with 25 D(ivision) I hockey players every day. Three months from now, he’s going to be in better shape. He’s already at an elite level, and just to be around other guys, I’m excited to see how high that ceiling can be pushed for him.”
Gorniak competed in the combine and performed quite well. Of all the performance-based measurements recorded at the combine, Gorniak finished as one of the top 10 graded in 10 of the individual workouts.
He even finished first in the pro agility max left speed course. He graded among the top four in the agility category.
Gorniak was also third in the bench press, where prospects had three reps to lift half their body weight at maximum velocity. Then, their reps were measured in power (watts/kilogram). Gorniak’s measurement was 7.74 watts per kilogram.
“I knew he was going to do well, but it was a matter of how well he was going to do,” Borre said. “I think given the types of people that were there and the magnitude of the moment, to combine it all and do so well in front of 103 of the best hockey players in the world at his age, I think that’s kind of surprising. For him to have the success he had, it’s incredible.”

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-23_17-38-46.png
    upload_2018-6-23_17-38-46.png
    68 bytes · Views: 1

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't know much about the level of play in the Wisconsin USHS, but his numbers are sick over his 4 years. 114 - 102-143-245 114 pims.

Not that it matters a lot but Gorniack was one the most dominate players at the combine. He was top 10 in several fitness categories.

surprised he was even invited to the combine.

Reactions: Stive Morgan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->