2017 World Baseball Classic

CptnSerious

Them Intangibles
Apr 19, 2014
Will anyone ever beat Japan this year? They are undefeated and on a big hot streak.

I'd say Japan is the team to beat, they have been since this tournament has been around even though it's only the 4th one. They seem to always put together a great team. 2 out of 3 so far.

rj

Jan 29, 2007
Indiana
Only 16,642 for the US game last night. Does this tournament actually make any money?

If it didn't, MLB wouldn't have it.

If Mexico was in the game it'd be a larger crowd. Not sure how many Venezuelan expats are in Southern California but not many. Considering time of year they have to have it in warm weather cities and attendance at a lot of games are driven by expats there. When the U.S. played the Dominican in Miami it was the largest crowd to ever see a baseball game at Marlins Park they said.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I think MLB thought they could put the blame on SD's bad 2nd round attendance in 09 on the double-elimination format. I think they now just know the city isnt into the tourney. I doubt they go back after this.

I think they figure this thing out more and more each time, as this year's 1st round was up 34% in tickets sold, and thats not inflated, you could tell just by watching.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
The games have been fun, exciting, and competitive AND have the Cinderella runs of the Dutch and Israel AND has the US poised for a final four appearance (fingers crossed) AND the players have shown genuine passion... I'd say the tournament is going quiet well and might very well be the point in time we look at as when the tournament really took hold.

Not World Cup/Olympics/Euro Cup type level, but the next step down.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
The games have been fun, exciting, and competitive AND have the Cinderella runs of the Dutch and Israel AND has the US poised for a final four appearance (fingers crossed) AND the players have shown genuine passion... I'd say the tournament is going quiet well and might very well be the point in time we look at as when the tournament really took hold.

Not World Cup/Olympics/Euro Cup type level, but the next step down.

Dont even think its a Cindarella run for them. I easily thought they had the 2nd best chance behind Japan to make it to LA. Thought their 25-1 to win it all had big value.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Dont even think its a Cindarella run for them. I easily thought they had the 2nd best chance behind Japan to make it to LA. Thought their 25-1 to win it all had big value.

I agree, but go up to the normal baseball fan on the street and tell them the Netherlands are in the semis of the WBC and I bet you'd get a lot of surprised looks.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I understand that.

It was still a Cinderella run when Gonzaga made the Sweet 16 in 2000 after an Elite 8 run in 1999. Maybe not to Dick Vitale and hardcore college basketball fans, but to the other 90% of the world, it was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad