2017 Training Camp Thread - Almost There...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
More appropriate leagues?

You having some sort of crisis? Let them at least play ten games before fretting about who is being ruined.

Dauphin has looked good in the preseason. But this is the first time in his pro career so far as I can tell. We've got Tucson right there. Why not see if he can learn how to score and become more than a half assed Boyd Gordon? You might end up with a Vermette, instead. As for Crouse, he's not enliven a prolific amateur scorer. Play him on an NHL 4th line, teach him to be an NHL 4th liner, and he'll become an NHL 4th liner.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Dauphin has looked good in the preseason. But this is the first time in his pro career so far as I can tell. We've got Tucson right there. Why not see if he can learn how to score and become more than a half assed Boyd Gordon? You might end up with a Vermette, instead. As for Crouse, he's not enliven a prolific amateur scorer. Play him on an NHL 4th line, teach him to be an NHL 4th liner, and he'll become an NHL 4th liner.

I'm much more worried about Crouse than Dauphin. I really hope he only plays 9 games. I want Scott Hartnell, not Tom Wilson.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
C/RW with some jam. Righty. He's a part timer/tweener that you could give limited minutes to without hurting.

Lets Crouse and Dauphin get more minutes.

We don't need Latta. I really don't understand some of the thinking on these boards. Last year when most the kids weren't ready you wanted more kids, but this year when more of the kids have matured and are ready, you want more vets. As you rebuild, you will have less older vets and more kids.

Already have Ryan White. I'd rather take Condra. But there's no room for waiver pickups, and that's refreshing.

Exactly.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Noone is advocating playing Latta in the top six. You get that Dauphin playing in the AHL because we added Condra or Latta to take his fourth line spot is not the same as Duclair getting seven minutes or Chip/Moss playing in the top six, right? Also, I don't see how strengthening the farm by giving Dauphin more minutes there is anything anyone could complain about (other than our ownership group who doesn't believe in spending money for those things, apparently) :dunno

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I'm much more worried about Crouse than Dauphin. I really hope he only plays 9 games. I want Scott Hartnell, not Tom Wilson.

You guys are getting paranoid. In the end I believe Crouse will be in junior for one more year and Dauphin will end up in Tucson and get a few games in the NHL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Noone is advocating playing Latta in the top six. You get that Dauphin playing in the AHL because we added Condra or Latta to take his fourth line spot is not the same as Duclair getting seven minutes or Chip/Moss playing in the top six, right? Also, I don't see how strengthening the farm by giving Dauphin more minutes there is anything anyone could complain about (other than our ownership group who doesn't believe in spending money for those things, apparently) :dunno

We don't need Latta. Start setting your sites higher. Even with Dauphin in Tucson we don't need another waiver wire pick up. Let's stay the course.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I want to see Crouse for 9 games, as well as Dvo and Strome. For all we know, all 3 make positive contributions and show that they deserve to be with the team for the entire season. Or, one or two need to go back. Dauphin, as a 4th line player, costs way less than most any pick up at this point.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004

Correct

rt

May 13, 2004
You guys are getting paranoid. In the end I believe Crouse will be in junior for one more year and Dauphin will end up in Tucson and get a few games in the NHL.

Great. That's exactly what I'm advocating for. So what exactly is the disagreement? You don't want Latta as the energy 13th F? Who'd you have in mind instead?

rt

May 13, 2004
Can't believe what I'm reading. People actually want to pick up players off the waiver wire? :shakehead

Rushing Crouse to the NHL is a mistake. Dauphin needs to learn to score as a pro. He's not going to do that from the 4th line. The point is to let these players develop and mature, rather than stunt them for the instant gratification of simply seeing them on the ice for us.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Rushing Crouse to the NHL is a mistake. Dauphin needs to learn to score as a pro. He's not going to do that from the 4th line. The point is to let these players develop and mature, rather than stunt them for the instant gratification of simply seeing them on the ice for us.

We have Strome and Dvorak. I see no opportunity for Dauphin to be a 1st or 2nd line center in the next 6 years. Dauphin can start on the 4th line and later be elevated to the 3rd, or we can get another bottom line center and continue to groom Dauphin. Sure, we could send him back, but let's see what he's got first, give him a sense of what real NHL competition is like, and then send him back.

I really like the idea of giving kids a cup of coffee in the NHL so that they can really see what they have to do in order to be successful.

rt

May 13, 2004
We finally have talent. This talk of signing waived scraps is the past and hopefully it stays that way.

Latta is all of 13 months older than Martinook. He's being suggested as the press box, 13th forward, scratch-case. He's a RHS who can take a face-off if need be. He's also a balls to the wall, kamikazee mad man. Fine as a reserve forward. It won't hurt him. He'll never be more than a 4th liner. But he could be a good one. I've been a fan for years. Could be a Mike Brown in this league.

Wanting Crouse on this team is for selfish, instant gratification. Look, even our 4th line has a teenaged first rounder on it novelty. It's good for fans with that particular chip on their shoulder. It's not good for the player to get 9mins a night instead of Latta getting 9mins a night. Crouse should be in the OHL learning how to produce points at an elite level, for the first time. And have another crack at yet another medal at the WJC. This time as a top player for his team, rather than a bottom six support player.

There's also the matter of the conditional pick. If Crouse plays in the NHL this season, we lose a 2nd and a 3rd. If he doesn't, we lose two 3rds. Is picking 72ns instead of 42nd worth it? Just to give Crouse 9 games and 9mins per game?

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
It'll be interesting to see what happens with Flipper over the next few years. Realistically, we'll be looking at Keller, Strome and Dvorak down the middle of the top 9, so does it come down to Dauphin and MacInnis fighting it out for the 4th line? Does Dvorak eventually move to wing to facilitate both of them? Either way, it's a damn nice change to have so much talent fighting for spots.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I don't want Crouse on the team for the whole year, but I think playing 9 games in the NHL would be a good learning experience for him. The team has a tough road trip to start, which would be a nice way to give him a glimpse at how much different life in the NHL is from life in the OHL.

When he does make the team full time I don't want him in a 4th line role. I want him to be very good 3rd liner who can play in the top 6 and not be out of place. I want him to be one of those guys that announcers always call out as big difference makers that you don't always notice. I'd like him to have an opportunity on the PP screening the goalie and fighting for the puck below the goal line.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Flipper over the next few years. Realistically, we'll be looking at Keller, Strome and Dvorak down the middle of the top 9, so does it come down to Dauphin and MacInnis fighting it out for the 4th line? Does Dvorak eventually move to wing to facilitate both of them? Either way, it's a damn nice change to have so much talent fighting for spots.

I see our centers for the long term being Strome, Dvorak, then MacInnis or Dauphin. Keller is likely going to be a winger in the NHL. The 4th line guy can be someone Chayka finds in FA as being a good value. Or one of MacInnis, Dauphin if they don't reach their full potential.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Latta is all of 13 months older than Martinook. He's being suggested as the press box, 13th forward, scratch-case. He's a RHS who can take a face-off if need be. He's also a balls to the wall, kamikazee mad man. Fine as a reserve forward. It won't hurt him. He'll never be more than a 4th liner. But he could be a good one. I've been a fan for years. Could be a Mike Brown in this league.

Wanting Crouse on this team is for selfish, instant gratification. Look, even our 4th line has a teenaged first rounder on it novelty. It's good for fans with that particular chip on their shoulder. It's not good for the player to get 9mins a night instead of Latta getting 9mins a night. Crouse should be in the OHL learning how to produce points at an elite level, for the first time. And have another crack at yet another medal at the WJC. This time as a top player for his team, rather than a bottom six support player.

There's also the matter of the conditional pick. If Crouse plays in the NHL this season, we lose a 2nd and a 3rd. If he doesn't, we lose two 3rds. Is picking 72ns instead of 42nd worth it? Just to give Crouse 9 games and 9mins per game?

We already have him. His name is Ryan White. One is plenty. If a roster spot opens up, we have several guys in Tucson we can call on. There is zero need to sign another player that nobody else wants.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Condra is the only waiver player I find semi interesting. A right handed shot and an exceptional PKer. Not sure we have a spot though.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Great. That's exactly what I'm advocating for. So what exactly is the disagreement? You don't want Latta as the energy 13th F? Who'd you have in mind instead?

We have White who could be on the fourth line or as the 13th forward.

Not all players can or have to score to be in the NHL. There are different roles for different players. Latta hasn't scored in the NHL either, doesn't play on the PK or the PP. He doesn't have a role and that is probably the reason he was waived. If you want him as a energy guy we have White with the team and Dauphin and Gaudet that can play that role.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I think Keller plays C. He's anothe Pat Lafontaine. Small yes but incredible vision and pace to game.

I see him as more likely to stick at center than Strome. Datsyuk and Giroux are a couple more stylistic comparables.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad