2017 Training Camp Discussion

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
I think that's a waste of time. They should cut him and send him to Tucson. At best he's what Lauri Korpikoski ended up.
Don't know why, but I get Justin Hodgman vibes from Kempe. I'm all for sending him to Tucson first.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Don't know why, but I get Justin Hodgman vibes from Kempe. I'm all for sending him to Tucson first.

It's nice to see a guy try hard. He's a hard tryer and that's nice. I just don't know that it amounts to anything. I like guys who help score goals for our team or help prevent the other team from scoring goals against us. For all his non stop trying, I'm not sure Kempe really falls into one of those categories. Dave Tippett absolutley loves guys like that. I don't really share the love.

Reactions: Yandover

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Observation: depth on defense is going to be a concern this season. A slew of minor injuries or major one on our top 4 and it's going to be an issue.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Observation: depth on defense is going to be a concern this season. A slew of minor injuries or major one on our top 4 and it's going to be an issue.

True, but at least we have a legit top 4D. Last year OEL/Goose were the only 2 top 4D, everyone else was bottom pairing.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
It's been on Twitter all day..... :wg:

It's for the fans. And it's four hours prior to puck drop. Plenty of time for some back hallway soccer before game time.
What fan would want to see that?! I mean I get that little kids will love seeing the players but the red carpet part they won't care about. Maybe it's a cringy effort to attract Twilight moms, kind of like that "Scarlett Caps" campaign several years ago in Washington.

NSYote

Jul 8, 2015
Halifax, NS
What fan would want to see that?! I mean I get that little kids will love seeing the players but the red carpet part they won't care about. Maybe it's a cringy effort to attract Twilight moms, kind of like that "Scarlett Caps" campaign several years ago in Washington.

If they sign stuff as they go fans may appreciate it. The red carpet theme is definitely terrible though. I may show up early to witness the awkwardness.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Domi-Stepan-Keller
Perlini-Dvorak-RW
Martinook-Strome-Rieder
Crouse-Richardson-RW

Fischer, Duclair, Kempe and Cousins are fighting for those two RW spots.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Anyone else get the email about the opening night "Red Carpet Party"? Nothing like a dog and pony show to get the players mentally focused on the game. So. Much. Cringe.

My initial thought was that I hope they hire people to attend, if not it won't do much more and most likely less for team morale than 1/2 empty arenas.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Best guess?

Is Strome projected to make it?

I don't think he makes the opening night roster but I expect Strome to be up and down some this year. My guess is (line combos could be different):

Domi-Stepan-Keller
Perlini-Dvorak-Reider
Martinook-Richardson-Kempy
Crouse-Cousins-Fischer

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Weird, I think the guy who is last cut this year won't be a scrub who lost out to a slightly better scrub. I'm not sure kempe is an NHL player, but from what I've seen of cousins he is, and I think both duke and Fischer are. Exciting times man.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Cousins is versatile to the point where I think he's on the roster no matter what. He's also on a one way deal so there are financial implications involved :P

I'm skeptical that he could carry the load at center even on the 4th line for a season, but in spot duty or for injuries he's perfect.

Reactions: Yandover

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Cousins is versatile to the point where I think he's on the roster no matter what. He's also on a one way deal so there are financial implications involved :p

I'm skeptical that he could carry the load at center even on the 4th line for a season, but in spot duty or for injuries he's perfect.
I really liked him as a winger last Saturday against San Jose, I'm not sure I've seen him play center.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I really liked him as a winger last Saturday against San Jose, I'm not sure I've seen him play center.

He was very good Saturday, more speed than I expected too. My assessment of him at C is mostly due to him hardly playing there at all at the NHL level. Even when he did play C more often he was averaging like 10 minutes a night.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
He was very good Saturday, more speed than I expected too. My assessment of him at C is mostly due to him hardly playing there at all at the NHL level. Even when he did play C more often he was averaging like 10 minutes a night.
Didn't he have a hard time getting playing time in general though? Maybe his lack of playing time at center isn't indicative of his ability, but more that they just had no time to give him? I'm really just spit balling here since I haven't seen him play center at all yet. I guess I'm just saying if Saturday's performance is normal for him, him being a competent 4th line center wouldn't totally shock me.

I agree though it wouldn't be ideal to have him at center since he hasn't played much at that position in the NHL. Hopefully strome makes a strong case for sticking, then we can just have Richardson at center with either Martinook or cousins as our backup plan.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Chayka has repeatedly referred to Cousins as a center.
Has he played center in any of our preseason games? It's only preseason, but he didn't against San Jose, and if he hasn't in other games it would seem odd to switch him back to center once the regular season starts, no?

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Cousins is pretty versatile position-wise. If he can find some chemistry on any line, he'll bring some offensive flair and grit to it. Additionally, he gets under the opponents skin at an elite level, drawing a lot of calls. He also does well in the shootout. If you can manage to find him a spot somewhere in the 12, he brings a lot more to a team than you see at first on the surface.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Stepan would make a great captain. But i believe you are right seeing how early it is, probably won't happen.

I love this video of him with the Rangers, the best goalie in the world gets frazzled over another goal he let in, Stepan gets off the bench, skates over and tells him to "Relax." Very Aaron Rodgers like. Keeping the superstar level-headed, offering reassurance.

My wife hates it when I tell her to relax. :laugh:

Reactions: doaner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad