2017 Trades, Questionable Rumours and Free Agency April 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Neither probably? Was offense our problem this season? Why are people fixated with going after these kind of players so much.

Oshie is going to take at least 6M long-term to make it happen. Kovalchuk we need to trade for and likely won't be cheaper than 5M... likely to be around 6M for a few years.

I wouldn't oppose signing Kovalchuk if we don't have to give up much in terms of assets and contract though. I just think our priority this off-season should be defense and we don't have a ton of cap space left due to bonuses taking a portion of the cap space we have.

It's depressing to me that TJ Oshie is already 30. Wasn't he just drafted? :laugh: I am becoming an old old man.;)

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Would you guys rather sign Kovalchuk or Oshie this offseason?

I might be hesitant either way.

Kovalchuk would be a trade (as mentioned) and I'd consider that if we were expected to win really soon and were only a player (or close) away from that.

Oshie would be a good acquisition, but I think he gets slightly less term than JVR will (5 vs 6-7 yrs I'd guess) but more money per. Don't know if we can trade JVR only to turn around and invest similar cap/term in another winger.

Last edited:

one77

Dec 22, 2013
It's depressing to me that TJ Oshie is already 30. Wasn't he just drafted? :laugh: I am becoming an old old man.;)
:laugh: I feel the exact same. In my mind, Oshie is a young player with great potential. But then I realize, he's 30 and has already hit his prime lol.

Time flies

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The attractive hung about Kovalchuk is I suspect he'll sign a short term deal, like 1-2 years like what Jagr did. Oshie will want term and I don't have I teret in giving that to vet forwards.

I'd definitely be fine offering big dollars to Kovalchuk on a 1-2 year deal. Not to mention he's Lou's guy too

Not sure how much I'd give him but something like what Radulov got would be what I'd offer, maybe on a 2 year deal instead.

I still don't think we'll be a favourite to get him if he does make a come back. I think the Leafs will want players that can add a different dimension to our core. Kovalchuk is/was great but he may not check some of those boxes the Leaf will want to add.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kovalchuk and Radulov are pals and yesterday during the Montreal/NYR game they discussed these guys possibly wanting to play together next year.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
no interest in this one dimensional player. i have no worries about him ending upo a Maple Leaf as he is the exact tyupe of player that our management team does not want on our team.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Pretty sure Lou was responsible for handing over a massive contract to Kova and then watching him walk out on the franchise.

I don't see Lou repeating any mistakes.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
With San Jose being eliminated, you've got to wonder what they'll do with Jumbo Joe and Marleau going forward, as they're both UFA's at seasons end.

I'd have interest in Marleau if he makes it there. Scored 27 goals this season, can clearly still play and has something left in the tank.

Two year deal, 5M per. Yay or nay?

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
no interest in this one dimensional player. i have no worries about him ending upo a Maple Leaf as he is the exact tyupe of player that our management team does not want on our team.

our front office doesnt want talented players? odd

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
For everyone calling Kovy one dimensional and a prima donna, you should know that he changed over the years.

Ask any Devils fan, he plays a 200 ft game and he doesn't have attitude problems.

Just think of his shot on our PP, we'd be unstoppable. How could you possibly turn him down?

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
our front office doesnt want talented players? odd

our managment team has no interest in aging one dimensional players, he does not fit the mold of what we are creating. i'm a bit surprised i would need to tell anyone this but npo problem, all posters have their own concepts

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Pretty sure Lou was responsible for handing over a massive contract to Kova and then watching him walk out on the franchise.

I don't see Lou repeating any mistakes.

It wouldn't take a massive contract to bring in Kovalchuk.

It would likely cost around $5M for a year or two.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
For everyone calling Kovy one dimensional and a prima donna, you should know that he changed over the years.

Ask any Devils fan, he plays a 200 ft game and he doesn't have attitude problems.

Just think of his shot on our PP, we'd be unstoppable. How could you possibly turn him down?

Exactly. If it makes sense and he fits in our cap structure, you'd be stupid to turn him down because of some stupid reason like attitude problems or whatever. You don't turn down making your roster better.

Ironically they said the same thing about Jagr years ago when he wanted to come back, that he was a prima donna that only cared about money or whatever and he's now known as this amazing leader. Same thing with Radulov now.

With that said, there is a salary cap and we do need to really concentrate on improving our defensive core. So we'll see.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON

Assessments like this give Leafs fans bad name. Kovy is great all around player. His takeaways and back checks are second to none. Come on now, he is far removed from old Kovy of past. Not that I'm advocating for signing him unless it costs very little in trade with nj. Only concern there with him and Radulov that they might want to run their own show, but it's young Leafs that should lead this team going forward.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

Kovalchuk would be an awesome addition. Don't know if Lou would be interested though given the rough history.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Exactly. If it makes sense and he fits in our cap structure, you'd be stupid to turn him down because of some stupid reason like attitude problems or whatever. You don't turn down making your roster better.

Ironically they said the same thing about Jagr years ago when he wanted to come back, that he was a prima donna that only cared about money or whatever and he's now known as this amazing leader. Same thing with Radulov now.

With that said, there is a salary cap and we do need to really concentrate on improving our defensive core. So we'll see.

If Leafs could get him on a 1-2 year deal it would be fantastic - they could even give him big dollars and be fine cap wise since Matthews and Marner would still be in ELCs

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
With San Jose being eliminated, you've got to wonder what they'll do with Jumbo Joe and Marleau going forward, as they're both UFA's at seasons end.

I'd have interest in Marleau if he makes it there. Scored 27 goals this season, can clearly still play and has something left in the tank.

Two year deal, 5M per. Yay or nay?

Yay.
or like was suggested - Jumbo too.

i think it allows us to have more veteran presence (who can PLAY), move JVR out without the out cry of "omg, his goals!" gives powerplays a different dimension, and it's just more HOF's (well Joe more than Marleau, but the guy has a gold medal too), for the youngin's to soak up from. We've got the cash and if it's two years totally front load this year (as much as you can), have a manageable amount next year, retain and trade if needed.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
If we could get Kovalchuk on a short term deal, I do it in a heartbeat. He's still scoring above PPG in the KHL, and you don't just lose the ability to shoot the puck. He was also a very reliable two way guy in his time at NJ. Would be a monster on our PP, and could fit in either on Matthews line (Kovy - Matthews - Marner) or Nylander's line (Kovy - Nylander - Kapanen) and either would create match-up nightmares.

Also, if I may add; Kovy replaces JVR's goals, allowing us to trade him for defence, while also being better defensively than JVR. Win-win for everything involved.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
If we could get Kovalchuk on a short term deal, I do it in a heartbeat. He's still scoring above PPG in the KHL, and you don't just lose the ability to shoot the puck. He was also a very reliable two way guy in his time at NJ. Would be a monster on our PP, and could fit in either on Matthews line (Kovy - Matthews - Marner) or Nylander's line (Kovy - Nylander - Kapanen) and either would create match-up nightmares.

Also, if I may add; Kovy replaces JVR's goals, allowing us to trade him for defence, while also being better defensively than JVR. Win-win for everything involved.

:laugh: that's what i said :)

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Yay.
or like was suggested - Jumbo too.

i think it allows us to have more veteran presence (who can PLAY), move JVR out without the out cry of "omg, his goals!" gives powerplays a different dimension, and it's just more HOF's (well Joe more than Marleau, but the guy has a gold medal too), for the youngin's to soak up from. We've got the cash and if it's two years totally front load this year (as much as you can), have a manageable amount next year, retain and trade if needed.

A two year deal for both if they were moving out Boz and JVR. I honestly think that one of Leivo, Liepsic, or Rychel will be pushing hard for a spot on the wing so I would probably prefer Joe. Even though Marleau still has decent speed, Thornton is more physical and still solid on faceoffs, if there actually is a chance they want to leave Nylander on the wing for another year.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

I remember that feeling with Spezza and Stajan. like. gosh. now they're married and everything. geeze louise.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Marleau would be a nice stopgap scoring LW allowing a trade for JVR ... He can skate and keep up with the kids and won't be in the spotlight necessarily.

I'd take Kovy on a 1-2 year deal, although at 34 I wonder how his game will translate back to the NHL.

Oshie is an upgrade on JVR but the cost and more specifically term is more than I'd like

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Nothing changes

We score for days and can't defend for **** with only 3 top 4 guys in the organization and people want to trade for another winger which is an organizational strength

Every resource we have been it cap space or assets to trade should go to defence and once that's solved then you can start trading for 34 year old wingers

Let's actually solve the teams biggest problem

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nothing changes

We score for days and can't defend for **** with only 3 top 4 guys in the organization and people want to trade for another winger which is an organizational strength

Every resource we have been it cap space or assets to trade should go to defence and once that's solved then you can start trading for 34 year old wingers

The team can do both, not mutually exclusive. I doubt trading for Kovalchuk'a negotiating rights would cost much, maybe a 2nd or 3rd - Nothing that's going to prevent the Leafs getting a D man.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Nothing changes

what on earth are you talking about?
people want to acquire veteran help up front, so we can move the pieces that can fetch us something which can go to defense.

also. Marleau AND Thornton are UFA's this year. Kolvachuk's rights wouldn't cost that much at all.
AND you are allowed to do both. ideally you'd like to continue to be able to score for days. if you move pieces who score you're going to have to replace that. You HOPE that's coming from the minors, but you can't guarantee that every rookie that comes up will be a 20 goal scorer + 20 or more points.

AND. defense. is not just back end. it's a team concept. if your wingers don't come back and help out it doesn't matter if you've got Pronger, Neidermayer, Stevens and Leetch out there in their haydays. we'll still be struggling defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad