Rielly-Pesce
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Kulikov-Polak

Andersen
________

Leafs24Seven*

Jun 2, 2011
1000 Islands Usa/Can
Lol, yea ok. If scoring 60 points in today's NHL means a guy is disappearing "far too much" then if JVR "appeared" every night he would be better than Crosby or Mcdavid. So underrated he is.

On that note however, if it means getting help on D i would be all for it since we have a lot of depth on the wings.
JVR disappears far too much, i'll happily part ways to upgrade the D.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Kovalchuk Matthews Marner
Komarov Kadri Brown
Hyman Nylander Kapanen
Martin Boyle Soshnikov

Rielly Manson
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Carrick

Andersen
Sparks

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I think the one question I have from this entire season is why didnt Lou and Babs feel the need to get some better defensive depth for the playoffs? Boyle was a much needed upgrade on Smith and the #1 priority, but our blueline was soooo thin.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Hyman is trash. I'm sorry I don't fall into the "Oh but he hustles and works hard" group.

There's bout 20 other players in our own system who can forecheck hard and skate hard too but the only difference being they actually some SOME skill.

A 10-year-old has more offensive creativity than hyman. I just don't get the hyman obsession by Babs. Probably the only thing I've hated all year from babs is the hyman obsession

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Lol, yea ok. If scoring 60 points in today's NHL means a guy is disappearing "far too much" then if JVR "appeared" every night he would be better than Crosby or Mcdavid. So underrated he is.

On that note however, if it means getting help on D i would be all for it since we have a lot of depth on the wings.

Maybe i'll re-phrase...the Bozak line was largely invisible for substantial amounts of time in this series.

Marner I think got worn down, I think Bozak was playing hurt, I have no idea with JVR, maybe we find out after the fact but to me yes 60 pts in the regular season is fine but needed more from him.

Echoing a previous poster, we need an *impact* top 2 right handed defenseman, i'm talking Trouba or Doughty. We could also use a top 6 forward with size and ideally snarl, Landeskog would be perfect but assets don't match up.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Sucks that because of Babcock, Hyman is probably a mainstay for next year too.

Leivo, Sosh, Kapanen, Rychel are all better options than ****ing Hyman

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012

JVR is brutal 5 on 5. He puts up a lot of points because he plays on the league's best PP, he gets sheltered like crazy with some of the easiest minutes, and he plays with a franchise winger.

He is so overrated. He was getting cleaned out by WSH's 4th line all series.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think the one question I have from this entire season is why didnt Lou and Babs feel the need to get some better defensive depth for the playoffs? Boyle was a much needed upgrade on Smith and the #1 priority, but our blueline was soooo thin.

Because there's jack **** on the market and we're not in a position to give up those kinds of assets yet
Top 4 defenseman tend to be an offseason buy

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
JVR is brutal 5 on 5. He puts up a lot of points because he plays on the league's best PP, he gets sheltered like crazy with some of the easiest minutes, and he plays with a franchise winger.

He is so overrated. He was getting cleaned out by WSH's 4th line all series.

There's no question JVR has offensive talent but his intensity is really really low. His foot speed has decreased over time. And for a guy who's that big, he's not physical at all.

I thought in the Boston series a couple years back, he was much more engaged. He was in front of the net taking beatings and battling all throughout. I dont think i ever saw JVR in front of holtby this whole series

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
There's no question JVR has offensive talent but his intensity is really really low. His foot speed has decreased over time. And for a guy who's that big, he's not physical at all.

I thought in the Boston series a couple years back, he was much more engaged. He was in front of the net taking beatings and battling all throughout. I dont think i ever saw JVR in front of holtby this whole series

I was expecting that playoff mode JVR too. Very disappointed by the version we got in the playoffs this year.

I just don't see how we can keep him on the roster for the money he is going to cost. Looking at WSH or PIT, they don't have a player like that who costs over 5mil but is a liability on the ice and requires heavy sheltering.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I was expecting that playoff mode JVR too. Very disappointed by the version we got in the playoffs this year.

I just don't see how we can keep him on the roster for the money he is going to cost. Looking at WSH or PIT, they don't have a player like that who costs over 5mil but is a liability on the ice and requires heavy sheltering.

Yeah I want JVR gone too. A team like LA might be interested since they need offense in the worst way.

Rychel should replace JVR. I think he's the next rookie to ready to make an impact on the leafs

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I see us making a deal with Vegas perhaps. I have done quite a few mock draft, they should have a few defenseman to spare but will be in need of forwards, and centres actually.

May be able to work out a deal for JVR+Bozak for 1-2 defenseman.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
If you don't replace JVR with a player on an ELC you have no cap room to upgrade the defense unless you want to do some serious work on the roster
It's a one or the other not both
And before I get the let's get rid of Bozak stuff if Nylander struggles as a center our season will be in serious jeopardy

Capfriendly says a little over $16M in space so if JVR and Fehr are dealt that becomes a bit over $22M. Figure $10M for the UFAs and $5M for the mystery winger. That leaves $7M for a backup a 4th line center and a 3rd pairing D. Only $2M to upgrade the D so yes, it may take a Bozak deal to free up the space.

Babcock on Nylander from early December.
“The reality is, for him to play center in the N.H.L., he’s going to have to get way better defensively, way more competitive,†Babcock said.

Babcock from March 10th.
"He can really shoot that puck. Willy’s got great edges and great understanding of the game, but the most impressive thing about what Willy is doing is he’s competing way harder. He’s better without the puck. He’s more competitive each and every night. So, he’s becoming a more complete player, which obviously makes us a better team.

It may be already decided that Willies game is ready for the #2/3 C spot.

Or they may decide to replace Martin and Komarov with younger and cheaper players. Or they may not be able to make a deal for the special D man they want so they will try to improve however they can for the time being. The only thing we know for sure is the Leafs haven't announced anything.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Capfriendly says a little over $16M in space so if JVR and Fehr are dealt that becomes a bit over $22M. Figure $10M for the UFAs and $5M for the mystery winger. That leaves $7M for a backup a 4th line center and a 3rd pairing D. Only $2M to upgrade the D so yes, it may take a Bozak deal to free up the space.

Babcock on Nylander from early December.
“The reality is, for him to play center in the N.H.L., he’s going to have to get way better defensively, way more competitive,†Babcock said.

Babcock from March 10th.
"He can really shoot that puck. Willy’s got great edges and great understanding of the game, but the most impressive thing about what Willy is doing is he’s competing way harder. He’s better without the puck. He’s more competitive each and every night. So, he’s becoming a more complete player, which obviously makes us a better team.

It may be already decided that Willies game is ready for the #2/3 C spot.

Or they may decide to replace Martin and Komarov with younger and cheaper players. Or they may not be able to make a deal for the special D man they want so they will try to improve however they can for the time being. The only thing we know for sure is the Leafs haven't announced anything.

I'd keep Komarov and Martin. Add Rychel next year, seeing how heavy of a game you need to play in the play-offs, you look over to the Edmonton Oilers, Lucic, Maroon, Kassian are big bodies helping them out in the post-season now. Skill is huge, you need guys who can play, but noticing in the post-season you need some meat.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I'd keep Komarov and Martin. Add Rychel next year, seeing how heavy of a game you need to play in the play-offs, you look over to the Edmonton Oilers, Lucic, Maroon, Kassian are big bodies helping them out in the post-season now. Skill is huge, you need guys who can play, but noticing in the post-season you need some meat.

Totally agree. Leafs lack grit in their top 9. Rychel would be the perfect compliment to this group.

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
If this playoffs taught us anything aside from needing help on the backend, I think its that we need to change the Bozak-JVR show at 5 on 5. They had the easiest matchups and really didn't get anything done this series. Marner wasn't great, but it really felt like Bozak/JVR couldn't keep up at evens all series.

I think in a perfect world Nylander begins the transition to C, run Matthews-Nylander (sheltered) - Kadri (toughs).

Go out and see what level of D you can acquire for JVR, start moving up the Kapanen's and Leipsics of the team, barring any pipedream short-term FA forwards (Thornton, Kovalchuk).

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If this playoffs taught us anything aside from needing help on the backend, I think its that we need to change the Bozak-JVR show at 5 on 5. They had the easiest matchups and really didn't get anything done this series. Marner wasn't great, but it really felt like Bozak/JVR couldn't keep up at evens all series.

I think in a perfect world Nylander begins the transition to C, run Matthews-Nylander (sheltered) - Kadri (toughs).

Go out and see what level of D you can acquire for JVR, start moving up the Kapanen's and Leipsics of the team, barring any pipedream short-term FA forwards (Thornton, Kovalchuk).

I think Leipsic is lost on waivers or added in a deal in the off-season.

I think Marner got worn down, Bozak was playing hurt and no idea with JVR. I am content to move on from JVR and Bozak though, but we need to find Matthews some help, I don't want Hyman there next year, or maybe very sparingly.

?-Matthews-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Rychel-Nylander-Kapanen
Martin-Boyle-Hyman
Leivo, Soshnikov

Rielly-?
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Seidenberg-Polak
Hunwick

Marchenko and Marincin are not back. I think Carrick goes in a deal for a defensive upgrade.

For all I know Leivo, or Rychel gel with Matthews.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
We need a good reclamation project, like the oilers got with Maroon, a big guy with skill to play with Matthews, then it all comes together.

I would do all I can to get a guy like Bjugstad, Jenner, Strome (Ryan) or Colin Wilson.

Wilson-Matthews-Kapanen
Leivo-Nylander-Marner
Brown-Kadri-Komarov
Hyman-Boyle-Martin
Soshnikov, Gauthier, Leipsic, Johnsson, Rychel.

Notice Jvr and Bozak missing. We are getting to the point where we don't have the space.

I think they, and probably 1-2 of those prospects are shipped for futures, futures are packaged after the expansion draft for a D.

Excellent showing but it's clear we need one more 22 minute a night guy, ideally right shooting, and another 17-19 minute guy.

Alzner was injured and Shattenkirk didn't look like a 7 mil guy this series (but watch, that's what the rangers will offer him).

I think there's a big splash adding that guy this summer.

Last edited:

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
You have to expose 2 forwards and 1 defenseman, right? Eric Fehr and Josh Leivo most likely exposed. Marincin for Defense exposed.

-Trade JVR.
-I would personally demote Hyman because I think he's trash.
-Trade for Matt dumba.
-Resign Polak.
-Resign Boyle

Rychel-Bozak-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Kapanen
Brown-Mathews-Nylander
Martin-Boyle-Soshnikov
Hyman

Rielly-Dumba
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Polak
Carrick