2017 Trades, Questionable Rumours and Free Agency April 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Pretty sure Lou was responsible for handing over a massive contract to Kova and then watching him walk out on the franchise.

I don't see Lou repeating any mistakes.

Strong rumours during the time said Ownership forced Lou's hand, they wanted Kovalchuk at any cost.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Main problem is the cost

But if nylander moves to C and assuming kovy is still decent we could see

Kovy- Matthews - Marner

would be unstoppable. hyman competes but matthews getting double teamed and expecting him to score ppg is not realistic

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
right. but you are missing the secondary point. if you trade JVR and other assets for defense. we've lost offensive help. the reason why it was offset this year IS because we scored. If we move JVR (and Bozak) that's a LOT of points gone, and who exactly is replacing that? You can't just go "Kapenen, Leipsic, Insert Minor Player here"

Not everyone in the League could be in a position to gain Kolvachuk. IF it's expensive, then you don't go for it (and I never said go all in). it shouldn't be that expensive. but the team shouldn't continue to fix the forwards, simply because "it looks good now." that's like saying we shouldn't draft offense either because we have depth. You ALWAYS want to have depth. then you are in the drivers seat.

we can't NOT make moves simply because we'll be up against the cap next year. you make prudent ones. two years on older offense, trade JVR etc for younger-ish defense, and make adjustments when necessary.

I certainly agree with your logic but a number of moving parts have to line up starting with the club absolutely intending to move JVR. Following that, they need to be of the opinion that they don't have a viable alternative to fill his spot internally, for next year at least. To me Kapanen will be a top 9 winger and they have other AHL players looking for a shot, but if they are not intending to make him an every day top 9 or of giving Leivo a chance then it makes perfect sense to sign a vet like Kovy or Marleau. Unlike JVR these guys would likely sign for just two years so they would be gone before the cap space disintegrated and Bozak and Marner won't miss a beat. This would address the fear many here seem to have about the lost offense resulting from a JVR deal without the cap repercussions from a JVR resign.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Main problem is the cost

But if nylander moves to C and assuming kovy is still decent we could see

Kovy- Matthews - Marner

would be unstoppable. hyman competes but matthews getting double teamed and expecting him to score ppg is not realistic

Put our resources into the defense
Kovalchuk won't be cheap to trade for or to sign and we're going to need every bullet we have for a top 4 D

That's not even taking into account his walkout and throwing him into a very young team
Montreal had the veterans to keep Radulov in line we don't if he ends up being a pain in the butt

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I certainly agree with your logic but a number of moving parts have to line up starting with the club absolutely intending to move JVR. Following that, they need to be of the opinion that they don't have a viable alternative to fill his spot internally, for next year at least. To me Kapanen will be a top 9 winger and they have other AHL players looking for a shot, but if they are not intending to make him an every day top 9 or of giving Leivo a chance then it makes perfect sense to sign a vet like Kovy or Marleau. Unlike JVR these guys would likely sign for just two years so they would be gone before the cap space disintegrated and Bozak and Marner won't miss a beat. This would address the fear many here seem to have about the lost offense resulting from a JVR deal without the cap repercussions from a JVR resign.

If you don't replace JVR with a player on an ELC you have no cap room to upgrade the defense unless you want to do some serious work on the roster
It's a one or the other not both
And before I get the let's get rid of Bozak stuff if Nylander struggles as a center our season will be in serious jeopardy

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
No. Doesn’t fit at all, in so many ways.

How so? He provides goals, another threat on the PP, and good defensively. I don't know about you, but I would love to have a booming shot on the PP, something we lack right now.

Sep 18, 2009
giphy.gif

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Lou probably wasn't thrilled at being jilted...no chance he ends up here.

No thanks to Kovalchuk for many reasons but I doubt Lou has any hard feelings. I'm pretty sure he was just as anxious to get out of that contract as Kovalchuk was.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
If the cost is reasonable, I would do it. If it works out, you have a solid player like Radulov.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't really understand why Kovulchuk couldn't fit int the team's "culture", he led a so so Devils team to the cup finals, I'd say that shows he's got what it takes to fit in with a successful team.

Wanting to leave the Devils to play in his home country is a contract negotiation issue not a sign of "bad" character.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Just getting a decent top 4 defenseman is going to make our eyes water
It's going to take everything we've got just to fix that glaring hole

It will be pricey but I don't think it's going to be quite as bad as you think.

One of the reasons the D man market has been pricey as of late is because they haven been available (or scarcity drives up price) but most indications we have is that there's going to be more player movement this summer than average due to expansion.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It will be pricey but I don't think it's going to be quite as bad as you think.

One of the reasons the D man market has been pricey as of late is because they haven been available (or scarcity drives up price) but most indications we have is that there's going to be more player movement this summer than average due to expansion.

There going to move Menzinger but they won't be cheap
The amount of teams with need in that area is insane
If your willing to take a lesser type player it may be a reasonable price but if we're talking genuine big minute eating top 4 that can take tough minutes it's going to hurt

Kal

Feb 23, 2017
Toronto
Think it's time for us to upgrade our D, and we might have to let JVR go for that to happen.

Love the dude but if we want to be contenders in the next few seasons we have to fill in the hole in our defence.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Think it's time for us to upgrade our D, and we might have to let JVR go for that to happen.

Love the dude but if we want to be contenders in the next few seasons we have to fill in the hole in our defence.

JVR disappears far too much, i'll happily part ways to upgrade the D.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Kovalchuk was amazing at his peak (better than Ovy is now) but I don't want him in his mid-30s and I don't wanna commit a bad contract to him. I'd rather the Leafs chase after Radulov who can still play and has shown he can play and would likely cost the same.

Tbh, that money needs to be going towards defence and that roster spot needs to be going towards prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad