Post-Game Talk: 2017 Trade Deadline Postmortem

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
The formula for determining where the Canucks will pick is very simple:

- Evaluate the top 10 prospects
- Determine where the first big drop in talent occurs.
- The Canucks will select immediately after that point.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008

I always wonder why the teams that seem to need it a lot or that it could be good for the league get the pick....

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
As per the poll. Call it however you want, but I think is was a success and graded them an A. Still shocked we got who we got for Burrows and I think the Hansen trade was fair. I'm shocked they did so well.

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.

I've paid for a machine that will inject me with small doses of heroin throughout the day to ease me to the acceptance that Benning will most likely eat the black foam cover of the microphone, thus forfeiting our draft pick.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I'm fairly satisfied with the deadline moves. I'm surprised that they got that much for Burrows, somewhat disappointed that they didn't get more for Hansen. I'm relieved that they didn't trade Gaunce, Subban, or Hutton for more Linden Veys. Liike many, I wish that trades of this kind had begun at least a year ago.

My judgment of management depends on the moves upcoming in the off season. Will they ship out any or all of Sutter, Sbisa, and Gudbranson? (I've accepted for now that Ericsson is unmovable.)

For the next while I'll cheer for San Jose, wish losses on Columbus, and hope that we don't have to invent excuses for Goldobin not being able to survive in the NHL. Oh, the excitement.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
As per the poll. Call it however you want, but I think is was a success and graded them an A. Still shocked we got who we got for Burrows and I think the Hansen trade was fair. I'm shocked they did so well.

can't wait to see what we got in goldobin. really hoping he can find his nhl feet here and thrive.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Man I'm salty we didn't move Miller.

You can't tell me that a offer wasn't put forth for Miller from a team on his trade list.

Benning played hardball and lost.

Benning knew we were going to be seller's and the best way to kick start a rebuild was to ship Miller out. There is no reason to resign Miller next year as we have Markstrom but most importantly...moving Miller now can only improve our Draft position in this lost year.

:facepalm::(:shakehead

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Goldobin is already at that critical make-or-break part of his career, and I feel we have too many of these players. I want to stock up on draft picks and 18/19 year olds. I am tired of these fringey kind of former top prospects who are one season away from being busts. Goldobin has played 115 AHL games and has one season of waiver exemption left. He pretty much needs to make the team next year or he will be the next Vey/Etem.

This is part of the patented "accelerated development" where we are not willing to wait on younger guys and get the full value of their development but are taking these sort of half-scratched lottery tickets because we think we need players who are close to being NHL ready.

This is why I loved the Burrows trade as it showed a clear shift in direction as we were finally showing an interest in adding young prospects and/or picks and adding a legit prospect. Dahlen was literally the first U20 player this regime has traded for in 3 years, which considering how bad we are is utterly insane.

And then with Hansen it's back to the same 'ol blueprint. I actually might have been okay with this return for Burrows. If this was the best offer for Hansen I would have passed.

As mentioned I have little doubt that Goldobin will get 1,000+ minutes of ice time next season, and be slotted immediately onto the PP so we will see what he can do. Either he puts up 30 points and people think it's a victory (Granlund) or maybe he takes a step and forces me to eat my words. I suppose if we do enough of these one of them is bound to turn out.

ah i understand. im a big enough fan of goldobin as a player that i liked it, but i get what you're getting at

part of me enjoys that there's a possible huge payoff on a what, 10-15% odds? I'm ok with that as an addition to decent value

rune74

Oct 10, 2008

You can't tell me that a offer wasn't put forth for Miller from a team on his trade list.

Benning knew we were going to be seller's and the best way to kick start a rebuild was to ship Miller out. There is no reason to resign Miller next year as we have Markstrom but most importantly...moving Miller now can only improve our Draft position in this lost year.

I don't think the market was there for Miller...not many goalies moved.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'm arguing different points then you are..how do you argue this way if you keep moving the goal posts...we are talking about VRBATA remember?

I just don't think Chayka is everythig that you do...did I say I think Benning is better? Talk about twisting.

You don't need to think of Chayka like I do, you just need to acknowledge the value Chayka has garnered in past trades. By your second statement about Benning, I get the feeling you are not contesting who is the better trader (unlike some). So I'll leave it there.

What goal posts are being moved? We are talking about Vrbata and what the non-moves by each GM means in how they should be evaluated. Both in terms of this specific move (fail) and on the whole (big difference).

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
ah i understand. im a big enough fan of goldobin as a player that i liked it, but i get what you're getting at

part of me enjoys that there's a possible huge payoff on a what, 10-15% odds? I'm ok with that as an addition to decent value

Yeah, and as I alluded to in another thread, if we do enough of these one of them is bound to pay off I think. I just think it is disappointing as a return for Hansen, for whom I expected to get a higher pick and/or younger players.

If I twist it in my brain so that it is Hansen for Dahlen and Burrows for Goldobin+4th I think that feels weirdly better, although the Burrows extension adds a wrinkle.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Yeah, and as I alluded to in another thread, if we do enough of these one of them is bound to pay off I think. I just think it is disappointing as a return for Hansen, for whom I expected to get a higher pick and/or younger players.

If I twist it in my brain so that it is Hansen for Dahlen and Burrows for Goldobin+4th I think that feels weirdly better, although the Burrows extension adds a wrinkle.

incidentally, goldobin is the first player id be ok with them forcefeeding 19 minutes a game to. i actually want to see an offensive talent given offensive minutes with real players

anyways, now we got a team to cheer for for the first time in three ****ing years, thats new and exciting!

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah, I'd agree that the Goldobin trade is definitely Benning's M.O., though I'm impressed with the value he was able to achieve in the deal. But overall it's quite similar to the Baertschi and Vey trades, as noted. The Dahlen trade was the exciting one because it's one of the few (maybe only?) times Benning brought in legitimate high-end futures (i.e. high picks and/or players at least 2 years away from the NHL).

Last edited:

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006

When asked if there had been any calls on Hansen, Benning said yes. When asked if there had been any calls on Miller Benning said we keep those things internal. Nobody wanted him. Take your conspiracy theories to Alex Jones.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I don't think the market was there for Miller...not many goalies moved.

Guarantee LA put a offer in for Miller. Wouldn't be surprised if a bidding war broke out since TB basically paid LA to take Bishop off their hands-brutal trade for Yzerman.

The second Benning heard "all I can offer is this" SOLD! let me call him a cab.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

This isn't like the old days where a semi-decent goaltender can nab a sizable package.

You just need to make the playoffs and hope whatever goaltender you have gets hot. Matt Murray came in from out of nowhere and practically won the cup (yeah, the Pens helped him defensively)...

Calgary, St Louis, and Anaheim have huge question marks in goal, but these teams believe that their tandem or #1 can perhaps up their game in the Playoffs. Plus I think most teams will look at Millers recent playoff experience and notice that he hasn't performed too well.

There's just no market for goaltenders anymore. Marc-André Fleury and Jaroslav Halak weren't even moved.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
This isn't like the old days where a semi-decent goaltender can nab a sizable package.

You just need to make the playoffs and hope whatever goaltender you have gets hot. Matt Murray came in from out of nowhere and practically won the cup (yeah, the Pens helped him defensively)...

Calgary, St Louis, and Anaheim have huge question marks in goal, but these teams believe that their tandem or #1 can perhaps up their game in the Playoffs. Plus I think most teams will look at Millers recent playoff experience and notice that he hasn't performed too well.

There's just no market for goaltenders anymore. Marc-André Fleury and Jaroslav Halak weren't even moved.

Why do you think Bishop got traded?

Because Quick hurt himself in his first game back the other night.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Matt Murray was a very highly touted goalie prospect who put up elite numbers in the AHL.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
I said it before but based on what we're hearing about the lack of quality and depth in this year's draft, I'd rather they target players drafted in the 2nd to 5th rounds of the previous few year's drafts. As an example only, if Montreal was offering, I'd take De La Rose and/or Bitten for Burrows.

And if Benning is still around for the draft, they should take the 1st round call away from him but let him pick away from then on. He seems to do much better outside the 1st round.

I approve. Happy with both deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad