Post-Game Talk: 2017 Trade Deadline Postmortem

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
I was wondering whether Chaput would get moved. Young enough for some team looking at the present and future.

The post you quoted is quite clear. You rebutted it with a porous statement. If you want to contend the initial claim, make your case. Or, does hiding behind obfuscation serve you better?

I spent the afternoon on Cap Friendly just playing around with our RFA situation for next season, and goodness, do we have a surplus of random wingers that really don't fit.

But it's going to be a revolving door for the next few years until you find those core players for top/bottom 6 roles.

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
Like what?

I gave what I thought was a reasonable, balanced take on the deadline which reflects my honest opinion after considering the activity of the past 48 hours. In response I get told to "lighten up" because my post was not glowing and enthusiastic enough for some of you. I really do not know what you people are complaining about but it is truly juvenile.

I'm sorry I told you to lighten up. I forgot myself for a minute there.

Sometimes the internet gets the best of me.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Biggest disappointment of the deadline isn't that we didn't move Miller or even that we turfed Hansen without getting a good pick or a U20 player. It's that we did not even consider trying to dump one or both of Sbisa/Gudbranson nor did we even consider trying to sell high on Markus "16 goals" Granlund. Those would have been my #2 and #3 priorities after selling Miller (if possible.)

We have set such low expectations that doing anything looks like a homerun. Yep, the Burrows swap was great. Benning finally has a trade that I would view as a clear win. But we missed a couple opportunities to cash in on some pretty marginal players while they may still have some perceived value and I still consider the deadline something of a failure for that reason. To go into the draft once again with fewer than the league-alloted picks and with a prospect pool still so shallow for a team that finished near the bottom 3 of 4 years is really disappointing to me.

Goldobin is whatever. He will be given the Sutter/Granlund treatment next season and if he cracks 30 points while playing as much as Sidney Crosby people will view it as a clear victory. C'est la vie avec Benning. Let us hope he does more with it than those two mopes.

I'm not sure the hate on Granlund, but once you guys get it in your head you hate someone it continues forever....he had a great goal last night....is he lighting it up all the time? Nope, but the whole damn team isn't.....I'm personally happy at his development and it's what we should want young guys to do....

Is he better then last year? Yep.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Garrison did not have an interest in moving. Was moved.

Hamhuis did not want to leave VAN, but was allowed to walk.

This is a business. Results matter. Benning failed to get the required result regardless of the excuses made.

GMs get paid to navigate complex situations. Benning could have had an equivalent position to Chayka had he approached Vrbata earlier, addressing all roadblocks before the TDL. He did not. Their positions were relatively the same. The difference was that Benning was too late to act.

You think the two GMs are of the same ability when trading because both received no value for Vrbata? Are you serious? Think about what you are saying.

I'm arguing different points then you are..how do you argue this way if you keep moving the goal posts...we are talking about VRBATA remember?

I just don't think Chayka is everythig that you do...did I say I think Benning is better? Talk about twisting.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, I didn't even mention the fact that given the market guys like Chaput, Skille, even Megna might have had some value. I mean is Tomas Jurco a huge step up from these guys? Kind of think we might have gotten a 4th or something for Chaput if we'd been more proactive. Instead it seems like we developed tunnel-vision on these 3 players and made little effort to even explore deals for other players.

Megna and Skille are basically worthless.

Chaput should have had some value ... but why would we want to move him? He's only 24 and has done a fine job as our #4 center this year, and looks to be a guy you'd want as a roster regular next season.

As under-appreciated as Gaunce has been here, I feel the same about Chaput. He's actually been maybe Benning's 2nd best player acquisition in his entire time as GM. Solid defensive bottom-6 center who I think will only get better at this level with more experience and more PK usage.

It's weird - the guy is the same age as Baertschi and only slightly older than Labate. If he'd been our draft pick who'd developed into the player he is now or if he'd been a 'prospect' picked up in a deadline deal for Hamhuis/Vrbata last year, I think the fan perception of him would be completely different. When you're a UFA signed as a 'Utica guy' that stigma sticks with you and nothing will change most peoples' minds.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I'm not sure the hate on Granlund, but once you guys get it in your head you hate someone it continues forever....he had a great goal last night....is he lighting it up all the time? Nope, but the whole damn team isn't.....I'm personally happy at his development and it's what we should want young guys to do....

Is he better then last year? Yep.

Not really sure how I said anything that hates on him. I do hate his hair a little bit. Also I hate the jersey number.

My point was just that I expect Goldobin to be treated in much the same way, immediately gifted PP minutes and playing 17 minutes a game. Not necessarily a bad thing if you're not trying to compete because at least we can see what he can do.

I find Granlund in particular frustrating because people frequently refuse to take context into account.

- 28 points in 86 games in Calgary, playing 13 minutes a game with no PP time (but PK time)
- 30 points in 77 games in Vancouver, playing 17 minutes a game with steady PP time (and some PK time.)

He is alright. I do not mind keeping him around. But let us view things for how they are.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008

Chaput should have had some value ... but why would we want to move him? He's only 24 and has done a fine job as our #4 center this year, and looks to be a guy you'd want as a roster regular next season.

As under-appreciated as Gaunce has been here, I feel the same about Chaput. He's actually been maybe Benning's 2nd best player acquisition in his entire time as GM. Solid defensive bottom-6 center who I think will only get better at this level with more experience and more PK usage.

It's weird - the guy is the same age as Baertschi and only slightly older than Labate. If he'd been our draft pick who'd developed into the player he is now or if he'd been a 'prospect' picked up in a deadline deal for Hamhuis/Vrbata last year, I think the fan perception of him would be completely different. When you're a UFA signed as a 'Utica guy' that stigma sticks with you and nothing will change most peoples' minds.

That happens to a lot of players unfortunately....once people have their minds made up.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

I'd probably trade Baertschi too to be honest. Doubt we could move Labate.

Maybe I am just too extreme in wanting to load up on picks and U20 prospects.

Horrorshow

Jun 1, 2009
I don't think people realize how hard trading Miller actually was at the deadline. He gave a 5 team list in a soft goalie market. The one possibility liked Bishop better and rightly so. Did you see Fleury moved? How many goalies were moved?

I wanted him gone but I am not going to label that a mistake. Benning looked into it. In being fair, I don't know that he could have done more on that one. Not at the deadline anyways.

Maybe mistake is the wrong word. More like, it was something that SHOULD have happened, because it's always good to get an asset back on an expiring contract that (hopefully) we aren't planning on re-signing, but it's understandable why it didn't come to fruition.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
I would definitely consider moving Baertschi as well, probably at next year's deadline, peddling him as a "young top 6 forward able to score 40 points" will appeal to some team I think. I don't think his value will be much higher than it is now and next year playing with Horvat. After next year, we'll hopefully have better wingers for Horvat to play with.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I didn't expect this level of calm for our fanbase after deadline day. I thought we were either going to do nothing or something really stupid.

Feels good.

bc23a565790d42f07b62fdce1c38828b_-cws-top-rated-program-americas-next-top-model-gif_300-231.gif

Horrorshow

Jun 1, 2009
Vrby is just not a guy that a playoff team wants to add. He's not going to make a positive impact unless he's the 13F like Jeff Tambellini in 2011.

Chayka probably overvalued him - a good GM would pay a 6th like with PA Parenteau

tbh there's zero evidence of the bolded. that's just a thing fans assume. But i agree that Chayka probably didn't feel like he got an offer that made it worth his while to move him. He probably plans on re-signing him after the expansion draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad