Speculation: 2017 Offseason Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Couldn't disagree more. His development is coming along just fine.

I know we didn't take Crouse at 11th overall, but I would hope that a forward taken at that position doesn't just become a 20-30 point defensive forward. And I certainly would make every effort in not pigeonholing said forward into that role early on in his career, especially when organizational strengths allow us to take a slower approach.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Even if Sakic was willing to sell low on MacK, we're going to have to sacrifice one of our blue chip assets for him. I'm thrilled with Chicken Run's strong rookie season, but I'd move him before I move OEL, Strome, Keller, Domi, or Dvorak.

No way I move Chychrun.

Solely due to impending contract status, I'd rank OEL last on that list. And it's not about pure value for me, in this case. MacK is worth a lot. But Chychrun has done everything asked, continues to get better, and probably has a soft spot for the team, given that they took a chance on him. Given OEL's possible imminent departure, I wouldn't trade Chychrun unless it was for a player that cannot be refused.

MacK is great, but that problem could sort itself out in the next few seasons. I would pay more in aggregate value in terms of pieces that would appeal to Colorado before I'd sacrifice any of the core to get him. A top 3 pick is no joke as part of an anchor to the trade, and it'd be easy enough to sell to the fanbase if you stapled enough value to said pick.

The question would be why would Colorado be looking to trade a 21 year old center? It doesn't make sense. He should be part of the answer.

I agree

Same, though Dvorak is close (and I could probably be talked into moving Chychrun, Dvorak or even Strome for MacKinnon).

Chychrun hasn't looked out of place as an 18-year-old, which is certainly impressive, but he also hasn't really flashed the sorts of attributes that project him as a #1 guy long term. He brings a lot to the table for sure, but he's worth parting with for a potential #1 center.

We are finally getting our prospect pool built up and you guys want to trade three of our most prized pieces for one. I really really like MacKinnon, but I would offer Strome, and the Wilds first this year, and then close my eyes and pray I didn't screw up, but adding Chychrun and Dvorak would be a big no from me. Colorado would want more so I would walk.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I know we didn't take Crouse at 11th overall, but I would hope that a forward taken at that position doesn't just become a 20-30 point defensive forward. And I certainly would make every effort in not pigeonholing said forward into that role early on in his career, especially when organizational strengths allow us to take a slower approach.

If Crouse hits the 30 pt. mark next year doing what he is doing now, I would be ecstatic.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Since I have nothing else to do during my lunch break at work, here's a list of each team's RHDs that play in a top 4 capacity:

ANH - Vatanen, Manson
BOS - Carlo
BUF - Ristolainen, Bogosian
CGY - Hamilton, Stone
CAR - Faulk, Pesce
CLB - Jones, Savard
COL - Johnson, Barrie
DAL - Klingberg
DET - Green
EDM - Larsson
FLA - Ekblad, Demers
LAK - Doughty
MIN - Dumba, Spurgeon
MTL - Weber, Petry
NSH - Subban, Ellis
NJD - Severson, Lovejoy
NYI - Hamonic, Boychuk
NYR - Girardi, Klein
OTT - Karlsson, Ceci
PHI - Gudas
PIT - Letang, Schultz
SJS - Burns, Braun
STL - Pietrangelo, Parayko
TBL - Stralman
TOR - Zaitsev
VAN - Tanev, Stecher
WPG - Buff, Trouba, Myers
WSH - Carlson, Shattenkirk, Niskanen

Which of these names are desirable AND realistic targets for us?

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Since I have nothing else to do during my lunch break at work, here's a list of each team's RHDs that play in a top 4 capacity:

ANH - Vatanen, Manson
BOS - Carlo
CGY - Hamilton, Stone
CAR - Faulk, Pesce
CLB - Jones, Savard
COL - Johnson, Barrie
DAL - Klingberg
DET - Green
EDM - Larsson
FLA - Ekblad, Demers
LAK - Doughty
MIN - Dumba, Spurgeon
MTL - Weber, Petry
NSH - Subban, Ellis
NJD - Severson, Lovejoy
NYI - Hamonic, Boychuk
NYR - Girardi, Klein
OTT - Karlsson, Ceci
PHI - Gudas
PIT - Letang, Schultz
SJS - Burns, Braun
TBL - Stralman
TOR - Zaitsev
VAN - Tanev, Stecher

realistically, IMO:

Vatanen
Faulk (if available, #1)
Dumba
Tanev
Trouba
Shattenkirk (not signing here)
Niskanen
Myers

OEL needs someone that can move the puck up the ice as well as him so they have to honor his partner, rather than every single build-up being sent through OEL. Faulk would be absolutely ideal, but he'd command a crap ton in trade and I'm not sure Carolina is wanting to do that. Some of these guys have NTCs so they aren't coming here unless there's shovels in the ground.

I rate Vatanen as most likely and Faulk as most desirable.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Sobotka signs. How does he change St Louis's protected list?

Probably looks like this now:

Tarasenko
Schwartz
Steen
Stasny
Berglund
Perron
Sobotka

Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester
Edmundson

Allen

Leaves Lehtera, Reaves, Brodziak, Upshall, Paajarvi, Jaskin, Yakupov exposed.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Mike Green is interesting. Ken Holland says he's using the 7F 3D protection format.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

ANH - Vatanen, Manson
BOS - Carlo
CGY - Hamilton, Stone
CAR - Faulk, Pesce
CLB - Jones, Savard
COL - Johnson, Barrie
DAL - Klingberg
DET - Green
EDM - Larsson
FLA - Ekblad, Demers
LAK - Doughty
MIN - Dumba, Spurgeon
MTL - Weber, Petry
NSH - Subban, Ellis
NJD - Severson, Lovejoy
NYI - Hamonic, Boychuk
NYR - Girardi, Klein
OTT - Karlsson, Ceci
PHI - Gudas
PIT - Letang, Schultz
SJS - Burns, Braun
TBL - Stralman
TOR - Zaitsev
VAN - Tanev, Stecher

The first team and player you listed.:nod:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

ANH - Vatanen, Manson
BOS - Carlo
CGY - Hamilton, Stone
CAR - Faulk, Pesce
CLB - Jones, Savard
COL - Johnson, Barrie
DAL - Klingberg
DET - Green
EDM - Larsson
FLA - Ekblad, Demers
LAK - Doughty
MIN - Dumba, Spurgeon
MTL - Weber, Petry
NSH - Subban, Ellis
NJD - Severson, Lovejoy
NYI - Hamonic, Boychuk
NYR - Girardi, Klein
OTT - Karlsson, Ceci
PHI - Gudas
PIT - Letang, Schultz
SJS - Burns, Braun
TBL - Stralman
TOR - Zaitsev
VAN - Tanev, Stecher

This is depressing. I look at teams like NJD or NYR and realize our top 4 RHD is worse. What would ours be?

AZ - Murphy

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Yep. It's just Murphy, who right now is barely a 4D at best. Hopefully he rebounds while DeAngelo or Wood take a step forward next season, but frankly Chaya needs to be aggressive on the trade wire once the expansion draft rolls around and pounce on one of these names if they become available. And we gotta keep building up the RHD pipeline in the draft

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
This is why we have to bite the bullet and land a 1RHD.

Anaheim needs to rebalance before the xdraft. Prime opportunity to pick up Vatanen at a discount. We wouldn't be the only bidders, but we'd be in the strongest position. I think he and OEL could work well together.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Vatanen would be an interesting add. It took him a while to adjust to seeing high QoC but he's gotten better throughout the season.

I'm just not sure of the Ducks willingness to trade their top pairing RHD within the division if they had a choice (same problem applies with the Canucks if they decide to move Tanev)

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Vatanen would be an interesting add. It took him a while to adjust to seeing high QoC but he's gotten better throughout the season.

I'm just not sure of the Ducks willingness to trade their top pairing RHD within the division if they had a choice (same problem applies with the Canucks if they decide to move Tanev)

Tanev may be more available because the where the Canucks are in the rebuild, and they seem to have finally accepted this. Vatanen because of the x-draft.

Wish we weren't in the same division because that add a small plus to the price. I think the Jordan Staal trade could be somehwhat similar though and if we are picking in that 5+ range maybe it would be worth it.

cactus shake

Oct 22, 2013
Nice job. Would be nice to find our own Stralman - a player yet to break out as elite. I think Brodin fits that mould and I like him for the right side so long as OEL thinks he can play with another leftie. It could keep Goligoski and OEL off the PK too. Just the small matter of Minnesota trading him.

I'd rather get a player more capable of carrying a pairing defensively than Vatanen, but easier said than done.

Damn Carolina's drafting. Faulk 37th overall, Pesce 66th, Slavin 120th. (Victor Rask 42nd, Aho 35th). They seem to have more trouble with the high picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad