Speculation: 2017 Offseason Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Hawks center depth is very tenuous without Animisov. They'll likely want a cheap middle six center coming back.

I think they'll explore moving Hossa, Crawford or Seabrook before Animisov.

I'd like to see us target Marcus Kruger. He can do the heavy lifting in the D-zone so that our younger centers get more favorable zone starts. His contract is front loaded too. I wonder if the Hawks would be interested in Dauphin or Gaudet as a cheap replacement.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah, we're probably looking at something like this for opening night next season. Only change I'd make is sending Crouse back down to Tucson and give him a chance to develop his offense more (instead of him becoming Tom Wilson 2.0) and bring in another right shot veteran forward. Maybe someone like Hemsky (who could help with the PP) or Eaves (who has shown throughout his career he can be productive on any line, with both skilled forwards and grinders).

There is no way I see Crouse playing in the AHL next year. He brings what no one else does on this team, in fact, I see his role increasing and he is going to be bigger and stronger. We are starting to get decent talent up front so I'm not worried if Crouse's stats are in the 20-25 range. Love the way this kid plays.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
There is no way I see Crouse playing in the AHL next year. He brings what no one else does on this team, in fact, I see his role increasing and he is going to be bigger and stronger. We are starting to get decent talent up front so I'm not worried if Crouse's stats are in the 20-25 range. Love the way this kid plays.

Getting bigger and stronger does not necessarily correlate with offensive production. Fischer has a similar skillset and has shown he can be productive on offense at the pro level. Crouse hasn't. If you're happy with him topping out as a 20 point power winger like Wilson or Kassian or Virtanen because we need size in our lineup, fine. But I wouldn't be.

Given our depth at left wing, I have zero problems starting Crouse in Tucson next year and be first injury call up.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'd like to see us target Marcus Kruger. He can do the heavy lifting in the D-zone so that our younger centers get more favorable zone starts. His contract is front loaded too. I wonder if the Hawks would be interested in Dauphin or Gaudet as a cheap replacement.

I'd be okay-ish with targeting Kruger but other than being a little better in the dot he doesn't offer much more than what Burmistrov does.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Don't see why a contender like CBJ would trade multiple pieces for a pick. They're headed in the other direction.

Their only need is a #1 center, not even like a legit franchise guy, just a #1 and four of the top 5 guys in the draft are centers with #1 potential. Stepan, RNH, and ??? And there is no guarantee that those guys are available. Not a ton of options out there for a #1 so having the potential to draft one this year could be appealing.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Their only need is a #1 center, not even like a legit franchise guy, just a #1 and four of the top 5 guys in the draft are centers with #1 potential. Stepan, RNH, and ??? And there is no guarantee that those guys are available. Not a ton of options out there for a #1 so having the potential to draft one this year could be appealing.

Wennberg is on his way to being a #1C. And they did just draft Dubois last year, although his post-draft season has been disappointing.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Wennberg is on his way to being a #1C. And they did just draft Dubois last year, although his post-draft season has been disappointing.

I hope Wennberg does, I see him as more of a solid #2 but I like that kid a lot. I wanted us to draft him over Domi. Anyway there isn't some NEED for them to do anything, but we are soft and lack a top 3 D, 2 areas that CBJ have in spades so I like them as trading partners.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I hope Wennberg does, I see him as more of a solid #2 but I like that kid a lot. I wanted us to draft him over Domi. Anyway there isn't some NEED for them to do anything, but we are soft and lack a top 3 D, 2 areas that CBJ have in spades so I like them as trading partners.

Savard would be an interesting target for us that may be more affordable than some other options. Only thing is that despite the Jackets having a great d-man pipeline, they are significantly shallower on the right than on the left. We'd probably have to offer something like the MIN 1st plus Wood or D'Angelo to get them to bite.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Getting bigger and stronger does not necessarily correlate with offensive production. Fischer has a similar skillset and has shown he can be productive on offense at the pro level. Crouse hasn't. If you're happy with him topping out as a 20 point power winger like Wilson or Kassian or Virtanen because we need size in our lineup, fine. But I wouldn't be.

Given our depth at left wing, I have zero problems starting Crouse in Tucson next year and be first injury call up.

That's just it, we don't need him to put up big points. IF he does, it will be a bonus. In junior he wasn't a point producing machine, and I doubt he will be in the NHL. His big plus is his size and speed. He is already good on the PK. I think next year he could easily double his pt. production. I also think McGinn will not be here next year and Keller could be the one starting in the A, so I believe Crouse will be in the starting line up.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
That's just it, we don't need him to put up big points. IF he does, it will be a bonus. In junior he wasn't a point producing machine, and I doubt he will be in the NHL. His big plus is his size and speed. He is already good on the PK. I think next year he could easily double his pt. production. I also think McGinn will not be here next year and Keller could be the one starting in the A, so I believe Crouse will be in the starting line up.

Yes, I wasn't that high on Crouse in his draft year, but a reasonable projection for him was as a middle six two way power forward who can pot 20 goals/40 points regularly like Troy Brouwer.

I have no worries about Crouse's defensive game. But there's a big difference between being Brouwer and being Tom Wilson or Zach Kassian when it comes to offense. I'd rather give Crouse every opportunity to develop his offense game when we can afford to instead of saddling him with PK duty and limited 5v5 minutes. Which WILL happen because Domi and Perlini and Reider are clearly ahead of him on the depth chart.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

This is because we've ****ed up his development. He should've been in junior this season learning how to put up huge numbers. It was a terrible mistake to put him in the NHL this season. Even next season would've been too soon. After a huge OHL season this year, he should've gone to the AHL next year. Try to translate his numbers to the pros and earn call ups to the NHL. Your head coach is a myopic ape.

Last edited:

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
THN reporting that Mackinnon may be available.

Given that Sakic apparently asked for Galchenyuk + Sergachev + 1st for Duchene, I have to shudder how much more insanity he'd ask on top of that for Mackinnon.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Given that Sakic apparently asked for Galchenyuk + Sergachev + 1st for Duchene, I have to shudder how much more insanity he'd ask on top of that for Mackinnon.

For the Segachev equivalent, I'd offer their choice of Liljegren, Valimaki, or Heiskanen (or whoever they want with pick 3-5), and the Minnesota pick in lieu of the Montreal pick. Now for that Galchenyuk piece...hmmm...yeah no. Not going to add an additional piece of that value. They can have our first three picks on lotto day, before the drawing.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Not that you called for it, but I still have to balk at the general idea of taking on core Avalanche pieces without a strong existing core of our own. If you're a team that already has say Bergeron and you want to add Duchene or Mackinnon to build a 1-2 punch that's one thing. Otherwise trading for them probably just makes you the Avs :laugh:

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002

If that's the asking price, MacKinnon isn't actually "available" in any meaningful sense. He hasn't been all that much more productive than Galchenyuk, so asking for two top prospects on top of that is asinine.

I'd still offer up quite a bit for him. A package built around the Coyotes 1st, a top prospect not named Strome or Keller, and someone like Rieder could conceivably get it done.

Not that you called for it, but I still have to balk at the general idea of taking on core Avalanche pieces without a strong existing core of our own. If you're a team that already has say Bergeron and you want to add Duchene or Mackinnon to build a 1-2 punch that's one thing. Otherwise trading for them probably just makes you the Avs :laugh:

I still have no idea why the Avs are so bad this year. They've been historically bad, and it makes no sense. I can't imagine MacKinnon is part of the problem, but it's hard not to see everyone on that roster as toxic.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'd still offer up quite a bit for him. A package built around the Coyotes 1st, a top prospect not named Strome or Keller, and someone like Rieder could conceivably get it done.

Yeah, I'd give up quite a bit too. Probably go as high as both our firsts this year + Chychrun + Rieder or Duke. And then call off the talks once the Avs counter with OEL+ lol.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, I'd give up quite a bit too. Probably go as high as both our firsts this year + Chychrun + Rieder or Duke. And then call off the talks once the Avs counter with OEL+ lol.

Yeah, the Avs aren't 22 points behind the Coyotes because they know how to make deals. But I'd have a hard time turning down that deal. OEL, Domi, Keller and Strome are about the only guys I wouldn't move for MacKinnon at this point.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Wouldn't offer Chychrun for anybody in the league not named Matthews, Laine, or McDavid at this point.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Wouldn't offer Chychrun for anybody in the league not named Matthews, Laine, or McDavid at this point.

Even if Sakic was willing to sell low on MacK, we're going to have to sacrifice one of our blue chip assets for him. I'm thrilled with Chicken Run's strong rookie season, but I'd move him before I move OEL, Strome, Keller, Domi, or Dvorak.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Even if Sakic was willing to sell low on MacK, we're going to have to sacrifice one of our blue chip assets for him. I'm thrilled with Chicken Run's strong rookie season, but I'd move him before I move OEL, Strome, Keller, Domi, or Dvorak.

Solely due to impending contract status, I'd rank OEL last on that list. And it's not about pure value for me, in this case. MacK is worth a lot. But Chychrun has done everything asked, continues to get better, and probably has a soft spot for the team, given that they took a chance on him. Given OEL's possible imminent departure, I wouldn't trade Chychrun unless it was for a player that cannot be refused.

MacK is great, but that problem could sort itself out in the next few seasons. I would pay more in aggregate value in terms of pieces that would appeal to Colorado before I'd sacrifice any of the core to get him. A top 3 pick is no joke as part of an anchor to the trade, and it'd be easy enough to sell to the fanbase if you stapled enough value to said pick.

The question would be why would Colorado be looking to trade a 21 year old center? It doesn't make sense. He should be part of the answer.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002

Same, though Dvorak is close (and I could probably be talked into moving Chychrun, Dvorak or even Strome for MacKinnon).

Chychrun hasn't looked out of place as an 18-year-old, which is certainly impressive, but he also hasn't really flashed the sorts of attributes that project him as a #1 guy long term. He brings a lot to the table for sure, but he's worth parting with for a potential #1 center.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yes, I wasn't that high on Crouse in his draft year, but a reasonable projection for him was as a middle six two way power forward who can pot 20 goals/40 points regularly like Troy Brouwer.

I have no worries about Crouse's defensive game. But there's a big difference between being Brouwer and being Tom Wilson or Zach Kassian when it comes to offense. I'd rather give Crouse every opportunity to develop his offense game when we can afford to instead of saddling him with PK duty and limited 5v5 minutes. Which WILL happen because Domi and Perlini and Reider are clearly ahead of him on the depth chart.

Crouse will probably never play ahead of those guys regardless. Every player has his role on a team, and Crouse fills a need where no one else can.

cactus shake

Oct 22, 2013
Before the mock lineups, I somehow didn't realise how few spots were open and how hard it would be to improve the team without moving out some of the young players. It looks a tough rebuild to manage where there's a really deep pool instead of a clear-cut franchise player. Continuing to just keep the high picks no longer seems like a terrible option to me, though I do hope they float them for the best matchup centre or right sided defenceman they can get. I can't see either of them getting traded, but Couturier or Brodin would be perfect. I have no concept of value - what does a deal centred around the chance to draft Mittelstadt (3rd overall?) and Brodin look like?

Probably just teams waiting until after the expansion draft, but the UFA scrapheap looks more appealing than usual. I'd like Hemsky too (got to keep the physios busy after Hanzal), or Sharp if he still appears to have something left in the tank (just going by the numbers). Jordan Weal can't stop scoring in Philly at the moment, albeit up the lineup. Just no real space for any of them if Vrbata returns.

If they can't add a top 6 centre, I'd be happy if they could bring in Boyle along with a Winnik return. 3mx2 and 2.25mx2 respectively? Attach a pick to McGinn for Vegas or he completes the insanely overpaid 4th line.

Domi - Dvorak - Vrbata
Perlini/Crouse - Strome/Burmi - Fischer/Duke
Martinook - Richardson - Rieder
Winnik - Boyle - Jooris

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is because we've ****ed up his development. He should've been in junior this season learning how to put up huge numbers. It was a terrible mistake to put him in the NHL this season. Even next season would've been too soon. After a huge OHL season this year, he should've gone to the AHL next year. Try to translate his numbers to the pros and earn call ups to the NHL. Your head coach is a myopic ape.

Couldn't disagree more. His development is coming along just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad