Speculation: 2017 off-season talk thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Hey, we locked up Saad and Jones to long-term deals without NMCs. That's a step in the right direction.

Dubi is vastly overpaid - he'll become a Hartnell-albatross type contract within a couple years, maybe even next year.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Resignings- "NHL level"
Alexander Wennberg- 2 year bridge, try for a little above 3 million in my books. Shouldn't be difficult
Josh Anderson- 2 years- 2.3 million
Consider-Sam Gagner-1 year contract if we can spring it.

AHL level-
Zac Dalpe
Dean Kukan-
Daniel Zaar
Broadhurst
1 year contract for Jamie Sifers or another AHL veteran D-man.

Protect- Saad, Wennberg, Foligno, Dubinsky, Jenner, Atkinson, Anderson (force Hartnell to waive. Jones, Murray, Savard, Bobrovsky

As GM- Sign Vladislav Gabrikov. I try to find a quality backup goalie through here or trade

Trading- I try to trade Jack Johnson (if he survives expansion draft) or Ryan Murray and pair with a prospect to try and get a good young forward (hopefully center) aboard. I think we have some depth on defense that we can afford to do this now with Gabriel Carlsson and hopefully Gavrikov over here and ready.

Draft- BPA. It's kind of way too hard to guess what our options will be in the low 20's and I haven't really did anything but look at stats of our recent mocks. Give Vancouver a 2nd round pick.

I would ask Bob to waive and protect Korpisalo. I would be willing to take a risk that there are 7.4 million reasons why Vegas doesn't take Bob.

I would hang onto Murray and split the D so that Jones, Werenski and Murray each anchor a pairing. With that setup, the team is less vulnerable to teams like Pgh who can throw elite forwards on at least three lines.

I would continue to build more speed in the forward group and let the young guys develop. The Jackets just need to hit on an elite center in the draft and they should be in great shape.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Hey, we locked up Saad and Jones to long-term deals without NMCs. That's a step in the right direction.

Dubi is vastly overpaid - he'll become a Hartnell-albatross type contract within a couple years, maybe even next year.

Yeah, he is overpaid. But I think he will most always be a very good 3C. I don't see it becoming the albatross. Plus he's my favorite Jacket.

I fully expect a big splash this offseason. The team has pieces to do it. Now I am fantasizing about Mackinnon even though it's pretty unrealistic.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Yes, I think that after all their post-season meetings and reviews, the FO will conclude they will have to make a big move to get this team up another level. And I don't think it will come thru the draft. The closest they have ever come to obtaining a Number 1 C thru the draft is JLD. And he is not a sure thing yet and his trajectory will not be clear for a few more years. Jackets cannot stand pat waiting for that to happen.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Yeah, he is overpaid. But I think he will most always be a very good 3C. I don't see it becoming the albatross. Plus he's my favorite Jacket.

I fully expect a big splash this offseason. The team has pieces to do it. Now I am fantasizing about Mackinnon even though it's pretty unrealistic.

A big splash? Sorry - but I just don't see it. This front office seems completely fine with trying to win with what we've already got.

Mackinnon is a pipe dream.. We'd have too much to even make it happen with Wennberg/Murray already included..

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I think this playoff series showed they cannot "win with what they already got". Even taking into account Bob's failings, there was a fairly noticeable talent gap between us and the Pens. That gap is not going to close any time soon without some significant action.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Not a chance the team loses Anderson in the expansion draft. They will just buy out Hartnell if he doesn't waive.

I think they let Gagne walk. Wouldn't mind bringing Quincy back as a depth guy but I'm guessing he isn't much of a Torts fan given his playoff scratches and mobility concerns.

No question this team needs more skill up front, especially at center ice. I think the FO will make a huge push for Duchene (don't believe the Avs will actually trade MacKinnon). I think they'll start with Murray and Saad and go from there -- who knows if the Avs will bite.

Think we'll need even more skill up front but a guy like Duchene would be a good step.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Not a chance the team loses Anderson in the expansion draft. They will just buy out Hartnell if he doesn't waive.

I think they let Gagne walk. Wouldn't mind bringing Quincy back as a depth guy but I'm guessing he isn't much of a Torts fan given his playoff scratches and mobility concerns.

No question this team needs more skill up front, especially at center ice. I think the FO will make a huge push for Duchene (don't believe the Avs will actually trade MacKinnon). I think they'll start with Murray and Saad and go from there -- who knows if the Avs will bite.

Think we'll need even more skill up front but a guy like Duchene would be a good step.

I'm thrilled most are coming around to the idea that Josh Anderson must be protected. If Vegas signs Gagner (possible), we wouldn't lose anyone correct?

I am ok with a Hartnell buyout if he won't waive. No way does the team use a protection spot on him.

I'm hoping if they get Duchene they can get him on the cheap. Murray+ picks/prospects.

Maybe he was just packing it in during a historically bad season, but Duchene was definitely a part of that historically bad season. Maybe a change of scenery will fix whatever was wrong, but I just don't know. 41 points this year and a -34?! Woof.

Avs fans think they will fix their #1D issues with Duchene... Murray+ is probably as close as they'll get and the most I'd offer.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Just curious is there a deal to make around Wennberg and Monahan? Which side adds? I'd do Wennberg, a good prospect, and a cap dump that has a short term contract for Monahan.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Clearly Murray would be the start of any talks with the Av's. If Duchene is the center piece of the Av's offer, and after his horrible season, I agree he should come much, much, much cheaper than MacKinnon.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Clearly Murray would be the start of any talks with the Av's. If Duchene is the center piece of the Av's offer, and after his horrible season, I agree he should come much, much, much cheaper than MacKinnon.

Avs fans seem to think Murray isn't a valuable enough starting point for MacKinnon. Haven't watched him play recently so I can't really comment.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
The frustrating thing from my perspective is that even if the Jackets make some good offseason moves, another potentially solid regular season next year is meaningless if Bob continues to play like horse **** in the playoffs. If they make the playoffs and he comes apart at the seams yet again, then they may need to go a different direction in goal.

Agreed. And what does the fact that they stuck with Bob the entire series say about their confidence in Korpi?

I would look for a solid back-up goalie in the off-season, that could step in should Bob collapse in the play-offs again.

The good thing is that Bob is still considered a fairly young goalie, so hopefully he can be fixed and we don't have Luongo 2.0 on our hands.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Just curious is there a deal to make around Wennberg and Monahan? Which side adds? I'd do Wennberg, a good prospect, and a cap dump that has a short term contract for Monahan.

Isn't Monahan sort of a Wennberg in a Flames uniform? Don't see either team making that trade.

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
According to capfriendly.com, his contract was signed with the CBJ.

https://capfriendly.com/players/brandon-saad
It was. There was even an op-ed by a bitter sportswriter suggesting that the trade was Chicago's way of punishing Saad for not signing soon enough/demanding too much, etc.

Oh, and Calgary is so not trading Monahan, and certainly not for Wennberg. Like, don't even entertain the thought.

Last edited:

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
I think this playoff series showed they cannot "win with what they already got". Even taking into account Bob's failings, there was a fairly noticeable talent gap between us and the Pens. That gap is not going to close any time soon without some significant action.
I dunno. The Blackhawks high powered talent isn't doing much now. And we're every bit as talented as Nashville. Difference being their superstar goalie played like a star

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I would ask Bob to waive and protect Korpisalo. I would be willing to take a risk that there are 7.4 million reasons why Vegas doesn't take Bob.

I would hang onto Murray and split the D so that Jones, Werenski and Murray each anchor a pairing. With that setup, the team is less vulnerable to teams like Pgh who can throw elite forwards on at least three lines.

I would continue to build more speed in the forward group and let the young guys develop. The Jackets just need to hit on an elite center in the draft and they should be in great shape.
As far as Bob goes, no way they ask him to waive. That would destroy any confidence and relationship between Bob and the FO, especially after a vezina quality season.

As far as the rest of it, I completely agree. The D has soooooooooo much potential.

Johnson-Jones
Werenski-Savard
Carlsson/Nuutivara-Murray

Harrington/Gavrikov?/depth Dman

Yes, I think that after all their post-season meetings and reviews, the FO will conclude they will have to make a big move to get this team up another level. And I don't think it will come thru the draft. The closest they have ever come to obtaining a Number 1 C thru the draft is JLD. And he is not a sure thing yet and his trajectory will not be clear for a few more years. Jackets cannot stand pat waiting for that to happen.

I think they might consider making a deal, but I don't think anything gets done. I think the only deals they'll aggressively pursue are ones that make sure they protect exactly who they want. Whether it be buying out Hartnell or making a trade. It's really hard to predict what could happen between now and the entry draft because of the Expansion draft.

I'd rather see the team with a healthy D and a mentally stable Bob in the playoffs before I make drastic moves. Jackets are one of the youngest teams in the NHL. Keep the core players in tact, make minor tweaks (depth bottom line/pair) and let the players develop. If things are going south then you make changes, but not until you know what you have doesn't work.

Getting bounced in the first round against the defending champs when over half of the roster has little to no playoff experience isn't proof enough that what we have doesn't work. Especially considering how we played in games one and two.

You're trading goal scoring for assists. While Monahan would be nice, we need more playmakers not goal scorers.
Absolutely but why would the Flames do this?
They wouldn't, they love Monahan.
Would anyone do Hartnell, Wennberg, and Bjorkstrand for Monahan and Andersson?

Absolutely not.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH

Honestly, I think asking Bob to waive to Las Vegas to protect Korpisalo is a bit much for me and I'd see it as an insult if I'm Bob.. Not sure why I'm debating this, because the Jacket's won't ask Bob to waive for Las Vegas and expose him in the draft. But, in the extremely rare case he would be exposed and picked.. We would lose a Vezina and top 5 goalie all regular season to Las Vegas for absolutely nothing. I don't risk that.. I could be talked into considering trading Bobrovsky *ONLY* if they find another way to bring in a decent #1 goaltender here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad