Speculation: 2017 off-season talk thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Well, the season has officially come to an end thus meaning the off season begins. It's going to be an interesting off-season considering the expansion draft and other events (the entry draft).

Here's how the Jackets faired altogether in team rankings against the league:

3.01 GF/game (6th)
2.35 GA/game (2nd)
19.9 % PP (12th)
82.5 % PK (9th)
31 S/game (9th)
30.4 SA/game (14th)
48.6 % FO (20th)

------------------------

No move clauses:

Sergei Bobrovsky
Nick Foligno
Scott Hartnell
Brandon Dubinsky

Here's a look at the FA's this offseason (per capfriendly).

UFA:

Sam Gagner*
Kyle Quincey*
TJ Tynan
Lauri Korpikoski
Brett Gallant
Jamie Sifers
Ryan Stanton
Zac Dalpe
Marc-Andre Bergeron

RFA:

Alexander Wennberg*
Josh Anderson*
Joonas Korpisalo*
Anton Forsberg
Oscar Dansk
Dean Kukan
Daniel Zaar
Alex Broadhurst
Oleg Yevenko

---------------------------

So, let's discuss. What do you think will happen this off season? What would you like to see happen? Which free agents get re-signed? Which free agents walk? Who gets protected for the expansion draft? Who is exposed? Who gets dealt (if anyone) this off season? So much to talk about.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Well, the season has officially come to an end thus meaning the off season begins. It's going to be an interesting off-season considering the expansion draft and other events (the entry draft).

Here's how the Jackets faired altogether in team rankings against the league:

3.01 GF/game (6th)
2.35 GA/game (2nd)
19.9 % PP (12th)
82.5 % PK (9th)
31 S/game (9th)
30.4 SA/game (14th)
48.6 % FO (20th)

------------------------

Here's a look at the FA's this offseason (per cap geek).

UFA:

Sam Gagner*
Kyle Quincey*
TJ Tynan
Lauri Korpikoski
Brett Gallant
Jamie Sifers
Ryan Stanton
Zac Dalpe
Marc-Andre Bergeron

RFA:

Alexander Wennberg*
Josh Anderson*
Joonas Korpisalo*
Anton Forsberg
Oscar Dansk
Dean Kukan
Daniel Zaar
Alex Broadhurst
Oleg Yevenko

So, let's discuss. What do you think will happen this off season? What would you like to see happen? Which free agents get re-signed? Which free agents walk? Who gets protected for the expansion draft? Who is exposed? Who gets dealt (if anyone) this off season? So much to talk about.

Re-Sign
Tynan (2 way deal)
Sifers ^
Dalpe ^
Wennberg (2 years, 3.5)
Anderson (2 years, 2.5)
Korpisalo (2 years, 2m)
Forsberg (1 year, 900k)
Kukan
Zaar
Broadhurst

Probably let Gagner and Q walk. But I wouldn't mind them coming back.

7-3-1 Expansion protection:
Foligno (NMC), Dubinsky (NMC), Hartnell (NMC), Jenner, Saad, Wennberg, Atkinson
Murray, Jones, Savard
Bobrovsky

If Hartnell waives, protect Anderson.

Goals this summer:

Top 6 center
Depth

Untouchables: Werenski, Jones.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
Wish the Jackets hadn't given Dubi and Foligno long term deals with NMCs. They aren't good enough for that, but guess it's water under the bridge.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I would ask all the no-moves to waive those clauses and ask them for a list of teams they'd be willing to be traded to. I know that sounds harsh, but I think the club needs some flexibility and potential assets to make a move to upgrade the skill. I'm not advocating tearing things apart, but the front office has to keep their options open to improve the club. I think Hartnell is a given to waive, but I think Dubie has to be considered.

Keep Anderson at all costs. He has 25 goal potential IMO. Wennberg earned a decent contract, but he gets a bridge deal. I would re-sign Gagner. Earlier in the year it would have been expensive but after his slide in the second half, I think those numbers will be more affordable. Need a better backup veteran goalie. I wouldn't force Korpisalo or Forsberg.

I guess my goal is to protect the youth and add more skill.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
Here's a way to think of it: over the next few years you are likely going to be playing the Pens again and again thanks to the stupid playoff format. Unless you're just playing for 4 years from now, how do you construct a roster that beats two big, experienced, HOF centers in their prime? Rolling guys like Foligno and Dubi out there isn't going to do it. The two guys I'd most like to move are not movable due to the clauses. You're really counting on Wennberg and Bjorkstrand making big jumps and hoping maybe DuBois takes that leap (and for Bob to not play like an AHL'er). Lot of ifs there. I no longer trust Bob in the POs.

Saad is an enigma. Talented but doesn't show up much of time, and his numbers have flatlined the last 3-4 years. I sense the coach isn't a big fan. But he's young and skilled, so do you give up on him and risk him taking next step elsewhere? I keep him unless you package him for a talent upgrade on the 1st line.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Here's a look at the FA's this offseason (per capfriendly).

UFA:

Sam Gagner*
Kyle Quincey*
TJ Tynan
Lauri Korpikoski
Brett Gallant
Jamie Sifers
Ryan Stanton
Zac Dalpe
Marc-Andre Bergeron

RFA:

Alexander Wennberg*
Josh Anderson*
Joonas Korpisalo*
Anton Forsberg
Oscar Dansk
Dean Kukan
Daniel Zaar
Alex Broadhurst
Oleg Yevenko

Resignings- "NHL level"
Alexander Wennberg- 2 year bridge, try for a little above 3 million in my books. Shouldn't be difficult
Josh Anderson- 2 years- 2.3 million
Consider-Sam Gagner-1 year contract if we can spring it.

AHL level-
Zac Dalpe
Dean Kukan-
Daniel Zaar
Broadhurst
1 year contract for Jamie Sifers or another AHL veteran D-man.

Protect- Saad, Wennberg, Foligno, Dubinsky, Jenner, Atkinson, Anderson (force Hartnell to waive. Jones, Murray, Savard, Bobrovsky

As GM- Sign Vladislav Gabrikov. I try to find a quality backup goalie through here or trade

Trading- I try to trade Jack Johnson (if he survives expansion draft) or Ryan Murray and pair with a prospect to try and get a good young forward (hopefully center) aboard. I think we have some depth on defense that we can afford to do this now with Gabriel Carlsson and hopefully Gavrikov over here and ready.

Draft- BPA. It's kind of way too hard to guess what our options will be in the low 20's and I haven't really did anything but look at stats of our recent mocks. Give Vancouver a 2nd round pick.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Resignings- "NHL level"
Alexander Wennberg- 2 year bridge, try for a little above 3 million in my books. Shouldn't be difficult
Josh Anderson- 2 years- 2.3 million
Consider-Sam Gagner-1 year contract if we can spring it.

AHL level-
Zac Dalpe
Dean Kukan-
Daniel Zaar
Broadhurst
1 year contract for Jamie Sifers or another AHL veteran D-man.

Protect- Saad, Wennberg, Foligno, Dubinsky, Jenner, Atkinson, Anderson (force Hartnell to waive. Jones, Murray, Savard, Bobrovsky

As GM- Sign Vladislav Gabrikov. I try to find a quality backup goalie through here or trade

Trading- I try to trade Jack Johnson (if he survives expansion draft) or Ryan Murray and pair with a prospect to try and get a good young forward (hopefully center) aboard. I think we have some depth on defense that we can afford to do this now with Gabriel Carlsson and hopefully Gavrikov over here and ready.

Draft- BPA. It's kind of way too hard to guess what our options will be in the low 20's and I haven't really did anything but look at stats of our recent mocks. Give Vancouver a 2nd round pick.

Www.mynhldraft.com has their mock draft projecting us to use our first round pick on Kristian Vesalainen... for what it's worth.. big, 6'3 205 lbs LW out of Frolunda.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I've also seen Maxime Comtois and recently Kailer Yamamoto mocked to us by Grant Mccagg.

Yamamoto would be an intriguing though (not sure I see the Jackets picking him in the early 20's pick range though).. He's between 5'7"-5'9", 155-160 lbs.. Has posted seasons of 57,71, and 99 points in the WHL for the Spokane Chiefs.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
I've also seen Maxime Comtois and recently Kailer Yamamoto mocked to us by Grant Mccagg.

Yamamoto would be an intriguing though (not sure I see the Jackets picking him in the early 20's pick range though).. He's between 5'7"-5'9", 155-160 lbs.. Has posted seasons of 57,71, and 99 points in the WHL for the Spokane Chiefs.

I've not followed the draft much this year (for some reason), but wasn't Yamamoto supposed to be a top 10 pick?

If he's available in our pick range, we should grab him, from what I saw/read earlier this year/last year.

As for the offseason:
Gagner, thanks for the memories. Enjoy your payday.
Quincey, have a great time somewhere else; if we need to sign a late depth dman, we know where to find you.
Korpikoski, don't let the door hit ya on your way out.

Resign Tynan, Sifers, and Dalpe first effing thing for the Monsters.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I've not followed the draft much this year (for some reason), but wasn't Yamamoto supposed to be a top 10 pick?

If he's available in our pick range, we should grab him, from what I saw/read earlier this year/last year.

I haven't greatly followed draft talk for the 2017 class at all either.. I know the top 10 picks can greatly vary amongst different services, scouts, and throughout the year though so I wouldn't be too surprised if he was considered a potential top 10-15 pick last year. From what I've read this draft will be pretty wide open though.

A player that would interest me if available- Swedish center- Lias Andersson. At the age of 18, he was a 0.5 ppg center. Had played 20 games with no points as a 17 year old in the SHL judging from stats.. We could have 3 Swedish Centers on the team!

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
The weakness on this team is top line forwards (especially Center). We rely entirely too much on Bob to win. Defensemen are solid as is but could lose a body there (JJ in expansion for example).

Now it's never easy to get top line forwards. Quite honestly we don't have that player in the system (Dubois is not ready next year IMO, and I don't think you can count on Oliver being a top line forward). So need 2 maybe we can get 1?

We're going to lose a solid player to expansion. Hope would still be Vegas would sign Gagner but that is asking too much. But likely means a good dman (JJ for example) or a solid 3rd line forward.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm frankly wondering what Bob's going to do this offseason. He tends to take gaps in his performance very, very seriously, and after this series I imagine that's going to be a major point of focus for him and Clark.

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
I'm frankly wondering what Bob's going to do this offseason. He tends to take gaps in his performance very, very seriously, and after this series I imagine that's going to be a major point of focus for him and Clark.

Problem is I don't think it was technical. He's just a head case. Got nervous and game went to hell

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Since this roadblock of his appears to be on the mental side, I'm not sure he and Clark (together) can do a whole lot about it.

They might be able to address it if it was physical in nature (minor injury, fatigue, etc). If it was this, however, I'm not sure Torts would have been as... sympathetic... and might have put someone else in.

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
I would ask all the no-moves to waive those clauses and ask them for a list of teams they'd be willing to be traded to. I know that sounds harsh, but I think the club needs some flexibility and potential assets to make a move to upgrade the skill. I'm not advocating tearing things apart, but the front office has to keep their options open to improve the club. I think Hartnell is a given to waive, but I think Dubie has to be considered.

Keep Anderson at all costs. He has 25 goal potential IMO. Wennberg earned a decent contract, but he gets a bridge deal. I would re-sign Gagner. Earlier in the year it would have been expensive but after his slide in the second half, I think those numbers will be more affordable. Need a better backup veteran goalie. I wouldn't force Korpisalo or Forsberg.

I guess my goal is to protect the youth and add more skill.

I agree on the guys with no trade clauses. Although dubi does a lot of good things as a leader and shutdown center. I'm not a big foligno fan at all. I'd certainly ask him to waive. Vegas wouldn't take him anyway. Hartnell will probably be asked to waive which would help. I think we'll lose korpi in the draft although I wish it'd be someone like Calvert or karlson.
Maybe we can get bob to waive for Vegas lol

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
The frustrating thing from my perspective is that even if the Jackets make some good offseason moves, another potentially solid regular season next year is meaningless if Bob continues to play like horse **** in the playoffs. If they make the playoffs and he comes apart at the seams yet again, then they may need to go a different direction in goal.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I'd like to resign Gagner and Quincey since both should be relatively cheap.

Gagner started hot then completely faded - which should help us when it comes time to resign.

Quincey didn't look any worse than Harrington IMO.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I am looking for the top line forward by packaging Wennberg and Murray as a starting offer. Maybe add draft picks or Milano to the package or another defensive prospect. Yes, I include Wennberg. IMHO the past two months have shown that Wennberg has a very clear ceiling as a first line center on a losing team, think Jackets circa 2005. His invisibility during the playoff series, his reluctance to play in the hard areas that are necessary for playoff success indicate that he is not the type of player that can take us further. Obviously, we would have to look for a center if Wennie the Pooh is included in the package.Mackinnon would be my target but that seems unlikely.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I would also resign Quincy as the "veteran" depth defense man.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I also agree with the idea of a Hartnell buyout. This year seemed to who that by the second half of the season he could not keep up with the speed at which the NHL is now played.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I agree on the guys with no trade clauses. Although dubi does a lot of good things as a leader and shutdown center. I'm not a big foligno fan at all. I'd certainly ask him to waive. Vegas wouldn't take him anyway. Hartnell will probably be asked to waive which would help. I think we'll lose korpi in the draft although I wish it'd be someone like Calvert or karlson.
Maybe we can get bob to waive for Vegas lol

I just think in general these no movement clauses are just the dumbest thing. The players really have the owners over a barrel on this issue. Guaranteed, no-move contracts seem like total insanity to me.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Hartnell buyout incoming if he doesn't waive NMC.

This would be worst case. Hartnell has to take a long look in the mirror here. I think the best case would be Hartnell waive his NMC, the Jackets put him through waivers and allow him the ability to seek a trade. Vegas I suppose could be persuaded to take him for "future considerations" but that would be probably require our first round pick.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I am looking for the top line forward by packaging Wennberg and Murray as a starting offer. Maybe add draft picks or Milano to the package or another defensive prospect. Yes, I include Wennberg. IMHO the past two months have shown that Wennberg has a very clear ceiling as a first line center on a losing team, think Jackets circa 2005. His invisibility during the playoff series, his reluctance to play in the hard areas that are necessary for playoff success indicate that he is not the type of player that can take us further. Obviously, we would have to look for a center if Wennie the Pooh is included in the package.Mackinnon would be my target but that seems unlikely.

I would trade Wennberg, Murray + for Mackinnon. Not Duchene though. Thats a hell of a package for the Avs if they reallly want a shakeup. I love Nathan Mackinnon though, and while Wennberg put up more points this year, I'd definitely rather build around Nate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad