Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Entry Draft | June 23-24, 2017

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
We need another serious goalie prospect at some point considering we have no one in the pipeline now.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I guess I'm going to hang this out there for my own benefit.

The reason I have Foote, Hague, and Joseph on my board is because any of the forwards I had penciled in would be going by the 15-18th slot. Not to mention I don't see the need for any forward depth in the first round, in this draft. We're already seeing the next influx of forward depth playing here now and add in Cirelli, Joseph, Stephens, Raddysh, and Howden I guess one can make an argument for a center. I'm just not sure I want to do so in the first round

Foote intrigues me because as he's the more complete player than Hague or Joseph. The knock on Hague has been his skating and, to a certain extent, that's true. I just don't see it as a detriment as much as others but's that's why they're pro scouts versus someone who casually does this.

You shouldn't draft for need, I get that. There needs to be some emphasis on the defensive depth though. Its still the org's deepest void.

The deepest void is top 6 forwards. Looking at our prospects we are flush with bottom 6 guys, Raddysh, Katchouk and Howden have 2nd line potential. Still missing that top line potential player, he won't be there at 15 or so but should get us a 2nd liner. On the back end with Koekkoek, Hajek and Masin someone like Hague just adds to clutter since I don't see a top pair defender, same with Joseph. Foote would be ok since we aren't as strong on the right but don't like him that early, isn't good value for the pick.

With the 2nd round looking better for forwards than defenders we could pick two up there and go D in the 1st. But I wouldn't pick Foote, Hague, Joseph or Timmins before 20, so unless one of the top 4, Liljegren, Makar, Heiskanen or Valimaki, fall i would take the forward at 15 or trade down.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
The deepest void is top 6 forwards. Looking at our prospects we are flush with bottom 6 guys, Raddysh, Katchouk and Howden have 2nd line potential. Still missing that top line potential player, he won't be there at 15 or so but should get us a 2nd liner. On the back end with Koekkoek, Hajek and Masin someone like Hague just adds to clutter since I don't see a top pair defender, same with Joseph. Foote would be ok since we aren't as strong on the right but don't like him that early, isn't good value for the pick.

With the 2nd round looking better for forwards than defenders we could pick two up there and go D in the 1st. But I wouldn't pick Foote, Hague, Joseph or Timmins before 20, so unless one of the top 4, Liljegren, Makar, Heiskanen or Valimaki, fall i would take the forward at 15 or trade down.

So which of these draft-eligible forwards have top 6 potential at the 15-18 slot this summer?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
So which of these draft-eligible forwards have top 6 potential at the 15-18 slot this summer?

Poehling, Necas and Suzuki have 2C potential. Pettersson, Andersson and Yamamoto top 6 wings, Kostin has top 6 potential but question marks with health.

Top 4 defenders are more valuable than most 2nd line forwards. The thing is though that you can move those wings down the lineup to give you more depth. There's only so many spots on the defense. If we move one of Koekkoek or Masin than bringing in another top 4 potential LD makes sense.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We need another serious goalie prospect at some point considering we have no one in the pipeline now.

There's a bunch that should go in the 2nd and 3rd round. The problem is a lot of them are USHL kids who will be going the college route. We did alright with Wilcox and not so much with Oldham. We need a kid who's going to play, these kids going up to college at 18/19 might be sitting a year plus. I would take a CHL kid who's a starter now and you know has two more years in junior to play a ton. I also like to wait a year and pick a 3rd year one like we did with Ingram, get a better look at them to see how they improve and they only have 1 year of junior eligibility left before we can bring them up if we want. There's a few Euro's we can let marinate over seas before we bring them across.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Poehling, Necas and Suzuki have 2C potential. Pettersson, Andersson and Yamamoto top 6 wings, Kostin has top 6 potential but question marks with health.

Top 4 defenders are more valuable than most 2nd line forwards. The thing is though that you can move those wings down the lineup to give you more depth. There's only so many spots on the defense. If we move one of Koekkoek or Masin than bringing in another top 4 potential LD makes sense.

Poehling is a college commit so why would you burn a pick (in this draft caliber) on him? Plus I don't see him being there by the time the Lightning are on the clock even if they considered it. Necas is a winger, Suzuki I'm not seeing a top 2 C role anywhere, more of a 3rd line/PK role. He has smarts and decent speed. The size and how young he is doesn't scare me off at all.

I'm sorry but if you have a chance to pick up a natural RHD, with the overall caliber of this draft class (down compared to previous 3-5 yrs), you would think you do so. I'm not saying Foote would be Hedman, Stralman, or even Koekkoek or Dotchins replacement but eventually Masin, Hajek's and Cernak's will rotate up. Why not have another potential 4-6 still in the A because outside the aforementioned, that's all that's in the cupboard.

Edit/Add: Forgot that Poehling is actually already on the Huskies roster

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Poehling is a college commit so why would you burn a pick (in this draft caliber) on him? Plus I don't see him being there by the time the Lightning are on the clock even if they considered it. Necas is a winger, Suzuki I'm not seeing a top 2 C role anywhere, more of a 3rd line/PK role. He has smarts and decent speed. The size and how young he is doesn't scare me off at all.

I'm sorry but if you have a chance to pick up a natural RHD, with the overall caliber of this draft class (down compared to previous 3-5 yrs), you would think you do so. I'm not saying Foote would be Hedman, Stralman, or even Koekkoek or Dotchins replacement but eventually Masin, Hajek's and Cernak's will rotate up. Why not have another potential 4-6 still in the A because outside the aforementioned, that's all that's in the cupboard.

Poehling isn't a college commit, he's in college. Was one of if not the youngest player there. The NCAA is closer to getting guys ready for the NHL than the CHL. Poehling could easily do 1 more year next year then come out and compete for a spot, most likely he does two and makes the jump. Howden does his last junior year next then 1 year in the AHL and you have two bigger kids ready to be your 2 and 3C going forward. There's a chance he's there.

Necas has been playing center in a men's league, not sure why he can't transition it to the NHL? Suzuki only knock is skating, with his size I think that it's easily fixable. Could be the next Richards with his skill set if he fixes the skating like Brad did.

Foote at 15 isn't good value, Foote in the 20's and I take him all day. There's better options in the top 20. It's going to be hard for.him to hit his ceiling and he could easily fizzle out into a physical 3rd pair defender. We have plenty of 3rd pair guys in Blujus, Cernak and Spencer. Timmins could be a better option, has the tools to be a top 4 defender. Picking either of them at 15 is a huge reach. Either trade back or take a forward. Use the two 2nd's to try to move back into the 1st for Foote, Timmins or Brannstrom as I think Hague will be gone.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Poehling isn't a college commit, he's in college. Was one of if not the youngest player there.

Yes I corrected that before you posted. He skipped his Senior year and I forgot that.

The NCAA is closer to getting guys ready for the NHL than the CHL. Poehling could easily do 1 more year next year then come out and compete for a spot, most likely he does two and makes the jump. .

Yes, and that's a notion I've longed subscribed to. However, I'd be absolutely shocked if Poehling jumped to the AHL after his sophomore year so yes... more likely his junior year is a more feasible possibility. So, with that said, since you see no value of Foote at 15-18 I don't see the value of Poehling at the same slot, especially when you have Stamkos, Point, and Howden, Stephens, Cirelli (then) even Richard already.

Let's agree to disagree and move on then shall we

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
If he can hit welcome to the jungle brother. We need some speed and guys that can check. GUDAS we miss you.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
He has played like 20 games this season. I don't want to take another injured player since those Connolly and Koekkoek picks don't look too great.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
He loses some of his value if he moves away from center, carries a lot of risk due to health and so far being reluctant to cross the pond. Pretty good option if we trade down though and looking for a project.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
We can afford a risk-reward pick though, as our core already looks nice.

I'd like him. Not as much as Heiskanen, but a lot.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
So as of now we're picking 14, right? (Barring some luck with the lottery that moves us in the top 3).

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
You probably got better odds at 5 numbers on Power Ball and the third slot is Vegas'

Vegas isn't locked into 3 - they get to play with the odds as if they finished the season #3. Conceivably they could then fall as low as #6 (although that's highly unlikely).

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Vegas isn't locked into 3 - they get to play with the odds as if they finished the season #3. Conceivably they could then fall as low as #6 (although that's highly unlikely).

Correct my bad. I just believe that's where they're gonna land. No lower than 6th and 3rd 2-7rd. Besides, the Draft's rigged anyway :naughty:

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Speaking of rigged, Craig buttons EOS Mock is out

COL - Nolan Patrick
VAN - Nico Hischier
LV - Cody Glass
AZ - Timothy Liljegren
NJ - Gabe Vilardi
BUF - Cale Makar
DET - Elias Petersen