Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Entry Draft | June 23-24, 2017

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I'd say this priority list:

1. Liljegren (but will be gone when we pick)
2. Heiskanen (prime target)
3. Valimaki (if Heiskanen is gone)
4. Makar (if the previous ones are gone or we prefer him over Valimaki)
5. Foote (if the others are gone)
6. Hague (if the others are gone)
7. Joseph (if we prefer him over Hague and the others are gone)

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Move up for Liljegren if he starts falling.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We will most likely be picking 14th or 15th which isn't great as there's a dip at after 12 so hopefully someone will fall. RD seems to be what everyone says we need, the 3 best RD Makar, Liljegren and Heiskanen will most likely be gone and the drop off to Foote and Timmons is a decent one. So unless one of the top 3 fall in think we go offense. The tops forwards outside of Patrick and Hirschier have been all over the board. Glass, Vilardi and Mittelstadt will be gone, Tippett and Rasmussen as well so you have a group that can all be in the mix for the next 10 picks. In that group you have a couple of Swedes Andersson and Petterson which we don't draft, NCAA or NCAA bound in Poehling, Tolvanen, Bowers we don't pick those kids that high, a Czech elite league in Necas, a KHLer with an injury history Kostin then CHL guys in Suzuki, Lind and Yamamoto.

So it's going to be an interesting draft for us, we are in a weird spot as there's a definit gap of talent ahead of us with need most likely gone before us as well. We are in no man's land because I don't know what it would cost to move into the top 7 and I don't think the top RD fall. We will most likely take BPA or move up or down a spot or two but not too much, I think that because of our drafting tendencies. We are a CHL heavy drafting club especially in the early rounds, we'll take a USHL, Swede, Czech kid types later. At 15 I'm not sure the BPA will be a CHL kid and would rather not reach for one.

Mine - Makar, Poehling, Pettersson, Necas, Kostin, Andersson, Suzuki, Tolvanen, Yamamoto, Bowers, Lind, Hague, Timmins, Foote.

If you look at my list you see Suzuki at what would be around were we pick but I don't love him in that spot. I could see a Poehling or Pettersson being on the board and they go CHL with Suzuki and I wouldn't be happy. If they want to go CHL trade down a few and take Suzuki then or Yamamoto/Timmins. To me Poehling at 15 would be a steal. Will be going into his 2nd year in the NCAA next year, should be bigger, stronger and faster. After next year he could be ready to make the jump and you have him and Howden as two big C's who could be your 2 and 3 C's for a long time. Move Johnson for some D help, Point a top 6 wing, Cirelli a stud 4C or 3rd line wing just like Stephens.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
A lot of pretty good potential #2 centers to choose from. The guy I like the most who seems to be available around our selection is Glass. I'd stay away from D unless Liljegren or Makar fall. 2018 looks super deep on D though.

Hopefully Yzerman picks BPA, which means he'll probably select someone not on our radar and we will be left scratching our head once again.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
A lot of pretty good potential #2 centers to choose from. The guy I like the most who seems to be available around our selection is Glass. I'd stay away from D unless Liljegren or Makar fall. 2018 looks super deep on D though.

Hopefully Yzerman picks BPA, which means he'll probably select someone not on our radar and we will be left scratching our head once again.

Glass will be long gone before we pick. He's one of the top risers and should be a top 5 pick.

Bandit Keith

Apr 5, 2016
I really like Lias Andersson. Kid's got a hell of a shot and is very competitive/chippy player. Poehling I don't know a whole lot about, but we could certainly use a guy with decent size and good hand eye-coordination on the PP.

Also watched a few Soo games this year and I really like Timmins, however I'm not sure he'd be BPA where we are picking but it does fill a need. I do think Valimaki is a guy Al Murray would love - size, character, good two-way play - just don't know if he'll be available.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Where are you getting your information

All of the scouting services. I don't think there's one that doesn't have Glass outside the top 10 anymore. He's pushing towards top 5 in most and with a strong playoffs could challenge Patrick. He has a 1.36 ppg to Patrick 1.39, 6'2 to Patrick 6'3, lighter but could easily add weight, no injury history unlike Patrick and rising while Patrick has levelled off.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
All of the scouting services. I don't think there's one that doesn't have Glass outside the top 10 anymore. He's pushing towards top 5 in most and with a strong playoffs could challenge Patrick. He has a 1.36 ppg to Patrick 1.39, 6'2 to Patrick 6'3, lighter but could easily add weight, no injury history unlike Patrick and rising while Patrick has levelled off.

All of them? That's funny, because I've been looking at prospects for over a year now and he's usually around 10-15. I've never seen him inside the top 10 on a legitimate site.

ISS currently has him 14th, Future Considerations has him 30th, McKeens has him 13th, sportsnet has him 16th, THN has him 15th, Mckenzie has him 14th, thehockeywriters have him 19th.

Anything can happen at the draft but I will stand by what I said. Which sites have him challenging Patrick for the top pick? Redline?

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
All of them? That's funny, because I've been looking at prospects for over a year now and he's usually around 10-15. I've never seen him inside the top 10 on a legitimate site.

ISS currently has him 14th, Future Considerations has him 30th, McKeens has him 13th, sportsnet has him 16th, THN has him 15th, Mckenzie has him 14th, thehockeywriters have him 19th.

Anything can happen at the draft but I will stand by what I said. Which sites have him challenging Patrick for the top pick? Redline?

He's rising, and I would project him borderline top-10, but he is not a challenge to Patrick or Hischier.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Check the dates on all those lists, they're a few months old. ISS and Button who update monthly have him at 7 and he will jump again on the next list. Look at those sites earlier season lists and see how far back he is. He's climbing and doing it fast.

Most sites are now questioning Patrick at 1 and Hirschier at 2. Patrick because of injury concerns and Hirschier his dip in form. With Glass helping Portland knock off Prince George, he can continue to push these playoffs while both Patrick and Hirschier are done.

ltpato

Feb 27, 2015
MTL
Check the dates on all those lists, they're a few months old. ISS and Button who update monthly have him at 7 and he will jump again on the next list. Look at those sites earlier season lists and see how far back he is. He's climbing and doing it fast.

Most sites are now questioning Patrick at 1 and Hirschier at 2. Patrick because of injury concerns and Hirschier his dip in form. With Glass helping Portland knock off Prince George, he can continue to push these playoffs while both Patrick and Hirschier are done.

Never really said it, but I always like seeing your posts and what you have to say.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Didn't realize April rankings were already out for ISS, that's a huge shift for Glass in just one month. Man I really had my hopes up after watching quite a bit of him

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I have to admit, I haven't taken a look at this year's draft much. Whatever involves us trading up for the best BPA has my vote. In particular the move that has my favor is "re-draft DeAngelo" in the sense that we go for an RHD that can rack up points. I was vehemently opposed to the DeAngelo pick at first and eventually got over myself because how I felt about the player didn't change organizational necessity.

But if we could draft a player that's not a total headcase then that would be great

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I have to admit, I haven't taken a look at this year's draft much. Whatever involves us trading up for the best BPA has my vote. In particular the move that has my favor is "re-draft DeAngelo" in the sense that we go for an RHD that can rack up points. I was vehemently opposed to the DeAngelo pick at first and eventually got over myself because how I felt about the player didn't change organizational necessity.

But if we could draft a player that's not a total headcase then that would be great

The reason I was against that pick is because it looked like a crazy reach with guys like Fabbri still on the board

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
I guess I'm going to hang this out there for my own benefit.

The reason I have Foote, Hague, and Joseph on my board is because any of the forwards I had penciled in would be going by the 15-18th slot. Not to mention I don't see the need for any forward depth in the first round, in this draft. We're already seeing the next influx of forward depth playing here now and add in Cirelli, Joseph, Stephens, Raddysh, and Howden I guess one can make an argument for a center. I'm just not sure I want to do so in the first round

Foote intrigues me because as he's the more complete player than Hague or Joseph. The knock on Hague has been his skating and, to a certain extent, that's true. I just don't see it as a detriment as much as others but's that's why they're pro scouts versus someone who casually does this.

You shouldn't draft for need, I get that. There needs to be some emphasis on the defensive depth though. Its still the org's deepest void.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad