GDT: 2017 NHL Entry Draft (7PM ET/6PM CT/4PM PT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Well at this point I'm hoping for Timmins but after getting my hopes dashed already maybe I should just assume the worst and come out pleasently surprised if it doesn't happen.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
http://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/sto...mock-draft-featuring-all-31-picks-first-round

Personally I'd be extremely nervous drafting Makar that high. A late birthday playing in the AJHL... what could go wrong?

I would not pull the trigger there. I believe that his ceiling is the highest out of everyone in this draft class, but there are so many factors that scream no to me. That being said, Makar is likely the BPA after Nico, Nolan and Miro, in that order, have gone in the top 3.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Would be interesting if we went with Yamamoto. Complete contrast to the Rasmussen/Hague types. Kids a hell of a skater and although small is incredibly skilled.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Well at this point I'm hoping for Timmins but after getting my hopes dashed already maybe I should just assume the worst and come out pleasently surprised if it doesn't happen.

The worst would be forfeiting the pick, so I reckon you'll be fine. ;)

The truth is, there should be four to five defensemen available at 24 who I would be fine with. I'm pretty hopeful that we'll end up having one of them.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Vancouver is going to be 30 degrees or something today. Missing draft due to nice weather. Enjoy! Should be a great one.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
If we're keeping the pick Vaakanainen is who I'm hoping for. HockeyProspect.com has him at 11 on their list. Brannstrom would be great too.

If we don't keep the pick, I wonder if the Islanders would like to recoup some picks or prospects after their deal with Vegas. I'd put the 24th on the table for DeHaan.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
If we're keeping the pick Vaakanainen is who I'm hoping for. HockeyProspect.com has him at 11 on their list. Brannstrom would be great too.

If we don't keep the pick, I wonder if the Islanders would like to recoup some picks or prospects after their deal with Vegas. I'd put the 24th on the table for DeHaan.

If HP has him at 11, that's pretty intriguing. They had Connor at 5 (I think it was?). Really like HP, personally.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
http://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/sto...mock-draft-featuring-all-31-picks-first-round

Personally I'd be extremely nervous drafting Makar that high. A late birthday playing in the AJHL... what could go wrong?

I guess you have to trust your scouts but there is no way in hell I would take Makar at #1. Not like Jersey if overflowing with first line centre's either. Now if they could trade down and add another 1st round pick and be assured of Makar I could see it but I doubt they can do that with Vegas since the top picks are too far apart to insure Makar is there? Oddly when McKenzie did his final rankings he mentioned he surveyed 10 teams and five had Nico at #1 four teams had Nolan at #1 and "one team" had Makar at #1. My guess is that one team must of have been Jersey.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Somebody posted a link the other day to a site that had all the different scouting agencies/draft rankings... anybody know what site that is? Curious to see where Vaakanainen across the board in terms of different rankings..

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
If HP has him at 11, that's pretty intriguing. They had Connor at 5 (I think it was?). Really like HP, personally.

I really like HP as well, so seeing them have Vaak at 11 and Brannstrom at 16 makes me feel good if we got either of them.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Vaakanainen literally all over the board..

Ranked #11 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #37 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #30 by Future Considerations
Ranked #13 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #8 by NHL Central Scouting (EU Skaters)
Ranked #22 by TSN/McKenzie

.. interesting that Chevy mentioned yesterday something to the effect of if you are drafting in a spot and have to draft a guy early or reach for him, if he's the guy you and your scouts like, you take him. I agree with that. Different rankings are always all over the map, that's why I never cared that we "reached" for Scheifele. If you feel strongly about a guy, and you trust your organizations assessments of him, there is no such thing as drafting a guy too early.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
One of the more annoying things is that Coyotes are now drafting right in front of us. Chayka will draft any faller if there happens to be one.

Vaakanainen and Brannstrom are my targets now with our pick. Hoping Vaakanainen is there (but with Chayka picking right in front of us, I won't be suprised if he grabs him right in front of us). I think Brannstrom will be available at #24 but I don't see the current brass drafting an undersized European D-man at that spot. There are some forwards ranked in the 15-30 range that I want the Jets to be avoiding.

I wonder if Chevy would consider packaging #24 with Logan Stanley to move back up around 10th-12th range. It's gonna be frustrating to see all the players we could have had at 13

I'm not concerned. Chayka and Chevy are ordering from two different menus.

When their picks come up, Chayka will consult numerous analytics charts. Chevy will go to his player spread sheet and click on Sort by... Size... Descending... :laugh:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Vaakanainen literally all over the board..

Ranked #11 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #37 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #30 by Future Considerations
Ranked #13 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #8 by NHL Central Scouting (EU Skaters)
Ranked #22 by TSN/McKenzie

.. interesting that Chevy mentioned yesterday something to the effect of if you are drafting in a spot and have to draft a guy early or reach for him, if he's the guy you and your scouts like, you take him. I agree with that. Different rankings are always all over the map, that's why I never cared that we "reached" for Scheifele. If you feel strongly about a guy, and you trust your organizations assessments of him, there is no such thing as drafting a guy too early.

Could be a wildcard.

Give a listen at around the 13 minute mark:

https://www.hockeyprospect.com/2017-nhl-draft-preview-part-2-players-18-7/

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The "analytics" are still pretty rudimentary for players this age. At least in the public realm. Not sure what's out there that teams pay for. The Coyotes seem like an org not willing to pay for much of anything TBH.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front

When their picks come up, Chayka will consult numerous analytics charts. Chevy will go to his player spread sheet and click on Sort by... Size... Descending... :laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sir, you possibly owe me a new keyboard. Coffee-resistant one, preferably.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

that's why he drafted ehlers and Morrissey petan deleo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad