GDT: 2017 NHL Entry Draft (7PM ET/6PM CT/4PM PT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
This negativity though... gimme a break.

I have a couple of names in mind that I would like to see us picking. If some of our picks get traded, so be it - as long as they are used wisely. Also, now with the 24th pick instead of the 13th, the possibility of us snagging Oettinger went up big time. Not that it solves anything immediately, but that option is now on the table.

There are still so many moving parts in this equation that realistically, it serves no purpose to speculate an awful lot now, as we could end up doing literally anything with our picks. But for now, we are on the clock at 24, good names will be there - save the negativity for after the pick has been made.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Whileee(I think?) posted a write up someone did on Hague, doesn't seem like a bad pick at all.

Nope, not at 24. The early fears were the Jets would reach to get him at 13 which would be a bad use of that pick. At 24 not so bad.

There are intriguing players at our pick and given how "flat" the draft is after pick 4-5 it's not all that depressing. I mean sure it may end up bad but it'll be 3-5 years before anyone can say with confidence and even that will be early. We haven't drafted a Yakupov yet.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
I don't have an opinion (at least now) on who the Jets should pick on the 1st round, but I hope they take a flyer on one of the following ones in the later rounds:

*Petrus Palmu (the kid is small like Pinocchio but he has great hockey IQ and incredible hands - I think he could be useful in AHL right away)
Eemeli Räsänen (he is a 6' 7'' monster, he could be a stay-at-home version of Buff as a #4-6 dman)
*Patrik Hrehorcak (I was very impressed with his game at U18, surprised to see him ranked rather low)

I'm also curious to see where Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen ends up, because he is the son of my godfather. Winnipeg wouldn't be a bad option, I heard they are not too deep on goalies... :sarcasm:

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I don't have an opinion (at least now) on who the Jets should pick on the 1st round, but I hope they take a flyer on one of the following ones in the later rounds:

*Petrus Palmu (the kid is small like Pinocchio but he has great hockey IQ and incredible hands - I think he could be useful in AHL right away)
Eemeli Räsänen (he is a 6' 7'' monster, he could be a stay-at-home version of Buff as a #4-6 dman)
*Patrik Hrehorcak (I was very impressed with his game at U18, surprised to see him ranked rather low)

I'm also curious to see where Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen ends up, because he is the son of my godfather. Winnipeg wouldn't be a bad option, I heard they are not too deep on goalies... :sarcasm:

I actually find Rasanen very interesting as well for a later pick.

There are probably better options but depending where I wouldn't hate him at all

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
What are your thoughts on POJ?

He's a guy who might be there but I haven't had time to research him much.

I think POJ is high on Button's list. I'd be fine with Hague or POJ at 24. Interesting in today's FP, Chevy discussed the possibility of trading up of a guy high on their list is sliding.

dabizz

Apr 15, 2014
Winnipeg
Dream: one of Valimaki or Liljegren drops to us
More realistic dream but unlikely to be there: Foote or Andersson
Content with: Hague, Timmins, Poehling, Tolvanen, and a number or others
Upset with: Brannstrom (incredibly weak in any battles and more flash than substance IMO)
"Reach" I'd be ok with: Salo (waaaay undervalued IMO, should be in same breath as all of the 2nd tier of Dmen)

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
One of the more annoying things is that Coyotes are now drafting right in front of us. Chayka will draft any faller if there happens to be one.

Vaakanainen and Brannstrom are my targets now with our pick. Hoping Vaakanainen is there (but with Chayka picking right in front of us, I won't be suprised if he grabs him right in front of us). I think Brannstrom will be available at #24 but I don't see the current brass drafting an undersized European D-man at that spot. There are some forwards ranked in the 15-30 range that I want the Jets to be avoiding.

I wonder if Chevy would consider packaging #24 with Logan Stanley to move back up around 10th-12th range. It's gonna be frustrating to see all the players we could have had at 13

There is no chance Arizona is using the Jets list. And neither one is using your list.

My prediction: The Jets draft a good player at 24. A player they rated a lot higher.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I hate picking low like this it's not as fun, hopefully there will be some action. Move the pick maybe ?

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I hate picking low like this it's not as fun, hopefully there will be some action. Move the pick maybe ?

I would be okay moving the pick to help us pick up a top 4 LD.

You should get used to drafting near the end of each round, since we're gonna be contending soon :naughty:

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I would be okay moving the pick to help us pick up a top 4 LD.

You should get used to drafting near the end of each round, since we're gonna be contending soon :naughty:

We do get the 31st again ? Next year or the one after ? :laugh:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
This sounds like two separate transactions no?

http://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/sto...mock-draft-featuring-all-31-picks-first-round

1. New Jersey Devils: Cale Makar, D, Brooks (AJHL)

The popular notion for months has been that it is Nolan Patrick vs. Nico Hischier for this spot. But in the past few weeks, it has been indicated to me from several NHL sources that the Devils are leaning toward selecting Makar first overall. Moreover, GM Ray Shero has been following Makar around to get a closer look during the final weeks of his season. It's possible if Makar is the Devils' guy, this is a trade-down scenario for them.

If the Devils stay at No. 1 and Makar is the selection, it would be a ground-breaking moment in the draft. Makar would be the first top overall pick from Canadian Jr. A since Barry Gibbs in 1966, and the first top selection outside top tier junior/NCAA/pro hockey since Brian Lawton in 1983.

Personally I'd be extremely nervous drafting Makar that high. A late birthday playing in the AJHL... what could go wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad