GDT: 2017 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

LovemyNucks

May 26, 2009
England
Any of Glass, Vilardi, Petterson or Liljegren will do for me.

Glass was my guy for a good while but I can see Petterson being the one that rises above Hischier and/or Patrick in the long run. I think I want Petterson at our range now.

Is it greedy for me to hope for 2 of those by some miraculous trade? If JB pulls that off I don't want to hear anything but praise for this man despite his former sins.

Edit Said Heiskanen...meant Hischier :shakehead

Last edited:

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
Hopefully Heiskanen goes 3 so we choose between Makar/Vilardi (whichever COL doesn't take).

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
New Jersey has a lot of centers with Zajac, Henrique, Zacha, and McLeod. I can see them looking for a dman. Maybe they trade down to #3. I wonder if there's a possibility for 3 way trade with Van, NJ and Dallas?

Canucks get Patrick/Hischier
Devils get Makar/Heiskanen + Anaheim 29th overall
Stars get Tanev and Canucks 5th overall

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
Canucks deserve a lucky break. That is all.

Sorry, but this management squad doesn't deserve squat. Us, the fans? Sure.
Luck is made by doing the right thing, which for us is, REBUILD. Like, burn the shed, plant some grass, hope it all grows into a beautiful field of oak trees. :sarcasm:

The fans have been asking for it, and i truly hope it begins here. :help:

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
New Jersey has a lot of centers with Zajac, Henrique, Zacha, and McLeod. I can see them looking for a dman. Maybe they trade down to #3. I wonder if there's a possibility for 3 way trade with Van, NJ and Dallas?

Canucks get Patrick/Hischier
Devils get Makar/Heiskanen + Anaheim 29th overall
Stars get Tanev and Canucks 5th overall

Thats ewwwwww for all of them.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Sorry, but this management squad doesn't deserve squat. Us, the fans? Sure.
Luck is made by doing the right thing, which for us is, REBUILD. Like, burn the shed, plant some grass, hope it all grows into a beautiful field of oak trees. :sarcasm:

The fans have been asking for it, and i truly hope it begins here. :help:

Do Canucks fans really deserve anything though? :help:

I think the Vancouver fanbase is one of the ficklest in the league :popcorn:

JA

Here's a former fifth-overall selection:

Hartford fans couldn't wait to see this "highly-explosive defenceman who can skate like the wind."
Central Scouting's top 21 draft picks
The Globe and Mail; Toronto, Ont. [Toronto, Ont]15 June 1985: S.2.

2. DANA MURZYN, 6-foot-2, 197 pounds, defence. Third in scoring with the Calgary Wranglers of the Western Hockey League with 32 goals and 60 assists in 72 games. Had 233 penalty minutes. . . . Good skater with a long stride. Excellent scorer and smart around net. Played 13 games on the wing. Some scouts like him better as a winger. Excellent strength, takes man out along boards. Good poke checker.

Leafs' No. 1 draft choice expected to be WHL star
Houston, William. The Globe and Mail; Toronto, Ont. [Toronto, Ont]08 June 1985: S.5.

Although nobody seems to know conclusively what the Toronto Maple Leafs will do at the National Hockey League entry draft next Saturday, there is a strong feeling they will select defenceman Dana Murzyn of the Western Hockey League's Calgary Wranglers first over all.

Murzyn, 6-foot-4, 197 pounds, can play the wing as well as defence. Some scouts think he would make a better winger. In 72 games, 13 of which were on the wing, he had 32 goals and 60 assists. An NHL scouting report rates him as a good skater with a long stride. The report also says he is tough, aggressive and hits often.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
Do Canucks fans really deserve anything though? :help:

I think the Vancouver fanbase is one of the ficklest in the league :popcorn:

Maybe so, but when the fans (on these boards at least) have been clamoring for a rebuild since torts was here, and the ones in charge were on this illusionary quest to become a playoff team, proves that everything thats transpired since then, the fans have been correct.

Jimbo! If youre out there, take Pettersson!

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
Everyone is pretty much even at our pick almost impossible to screw it up

That's why I want to trade back to 8.

Pick up an extra asset and still get one of Makar, Vilardi, Glass, Heiskanen, Pettersson or Mittlestat.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I was an early Glass fan but Vilardi and Pettersson have started to intrigue me more... Wish there was more footage of Elias than posted, but his numbers in a men's league are not something you can ignore.

Vilardi would just be such an awesome linemate for Horvat and honestly one of the best fits possible for him imo. That cycle game would be strong. Throw Boeser on the LW on the PP and you might have a pretty good thing.

I don't think Makar will be there at 5.

I'm not going to be upset if we walk away with Glass at all, but one of those three guys would be incredible.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Websites take on cody glass

When I got my first good look at Cody Glass I was underwhelmed with his overall game. There was a lot of hype around this player about how he was putting up a ton of points in Portland but for me on that night, he was just ok and nothing about his game really stood out for me. I watched him again at the CHL Top Prospects game and again, I was expecting more...at least from a guy who was starting to get traction as a top-15 pick. Then, I got another chance to watch him play for Canada at the U18 tournament and he had a real impact right away in his first game against Switzerland but didn't do much the rest of the way in that tournament and I kind of came away underwhelmed. So I started to ask myself "what is the deal with this guy and where is all the hype coming from"? Well, the hype is probably coming from the points that he's putting in Portland which is impressive but never really tells the whole story. So I started to look at Glass from a different angle...maybe he's not going to be that upper tier player that is going lead your team but more of a 'middle of your lineup' type of guy that still ends up an important part of your team? So I went back and watched 5 or 6 random Winterhawks games from this past season and started watching him under a different lens.
To me, Cody Glass is like Sam Reinhart and that's certainly not half bad. He's got good size, is a strong skater with a great shot. He's a much more physical player than Reinhart and he is able to produce good numbers. The reason I'm comparing him to Sam Reinhart is because back in 2014, mostly everyone had Reinhart in their Top-3 and a lot of people had him as the #1 overall prospect. I ranked him 6th overall and I quote "This is just a gut feeling that he’s just not going to be as good as everyone expects. That said, he should still become a very effective 2nd line center in the NHL if all goes well". I could see the skill but there was just something that made me think he wouldn't translate over to the pros as well as people thought. The jury is still out on that one but I see Cody Glass in the same sort of light. That being said, if you're picking in the middle of the first round; it's a good gamble to take and he should still end up at minimum a really solid NHLer for a lot of years.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I know it's not going to happen but I'm more interested to see if Benning is smart enough to trade Tanev while his stock is high. His prime years are going to be wasted here and now would be an excellent opportunity to add some high young talent. If Benning was smart he could come away from this draft with some great pieces. Of course he won't though.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Alright, let's do this. I feel like I've been waiting for this day for months [oh, that's right, I have].

Don't **** this up Benning.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
I was an early Glass fan but Vilardi and Pettersson have started to intrigue me more... Wish there was more footage of Elias than posted, but his numbers in a men's league are not something you can ignore.

Vilardi would just be such an awesome linemate for Horvat and honestly one of the best fits possible for him imo. That cycle game would be strong. Throw Boeser on the LW on the PP and you might have a pretty good thing.

I don't think Makar will be there at 5.

I'm not going to be upset if we walk away with Glass at all, but one of those three guys would be incredible.

Would the Canucks not play Vilardi at center? If they draft Vilardi, I'm pretty sure the goal would be to have Horvat and Vilardi would anchor the first two lines for the next decade once the Sedin's retire.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Would the Canucks not play Vilardi at center? If they draft Vilardi, I'm pretty sure the goal would be to have Horvat and Vilardi would anchor the first two lines for the next decade once the Sedin's retire.

Yes, I'd think so, but they'd still be tough on the PP together

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
I think you are dead on.

I agree, but I think Timothy Liljegren is a bit of a wildcard for the Canucks. The Canucks have been scouting him for years, so I don't think they will be as scared away by his down year as a lot of other teams.

Knucklehead

Oct 18, 2002
Fort Nelson,B.C.
Quote:
When I got my first good look at Cody Glass I was underwhelmed with his overall game. There was a lot of hype around this player about how he was putting up a ton of points in Portland but for me on that night, he was just ok and nothing about his game really stood out for me. I watched him again at the CHL Top Prospects game and again, I was expecting more...at least from a guy who was starting to get traction as a top-15 pick. Then, I got another chance to watch him play for Canada at the U18 tournament and he had a real impact right away in his first game against Switzerland but didn't do much the rest of the way in that tournament and I kind of came away underwhelmed. So I started to ask myself "what is the deal with this guy and where is all the hype coming from"? Well, the hype is probably coming from the points that he's putting in Portland which is impressive but never really tells the whole story. So I started to look at Glass from a different angle...maybe he's not going to be that upper tier player that is going lead your team but more of a 'middle of your lineup' type of guy that still ends up an important part of your team? So I went back and watched 5 or 6 random Winterhawks games from this past season and started watching him under a different lens.
To me, Cody Glass is like Sam Reinhart and that's certainly not half bad. He's got good size, is a strong skater with a great shot. He's a much more physical player than Reinhart and he is able to produce good numbers. The reason I'm comparing him to Sam Reinhart is because back in 2014, mostly everyone had Reinhart in their Top-3 and a lot of people had him as the #1 overall prospect. I ranked him 6th overall and I quote "This is just a gut feeling that he’s just not going to be as good as everyone expects. That said, he should still become a very effective 2nd line center in the NHL if all goes well". I could see the skill but there was just something that made me think he wouldn't translate over to the pros as well as people thought. The jury is still out on that one but I see Cody Glass in the same sort of light. That being said, if you're picking in the middle of the first round; it's a good gamble to take and he should still end up at minimum a really solid NHLer for a lot of years.

You nailed it Luc, what you have described of Glass's game is exactly what I see with little to no upside just being ranked as high as he is I think is going to be the high lite of his hockey career. I see no basis whatsoever for Canuck fans to want this guy so much I think it's all hype with unreasonable expectations. I have seen videos of him and come away with disbelief he put up 94 pts I don't think his game translates to the NHL at all. Furthermore if you don't/can't play well against top competition as in international tournaments or in the WHL Playoffs which he ave less than a point a game, you sure as hell are not going to make a big impact in the NHL.

I believe he is the less gifted of any other player available to us in our draft range. He has mediocrity written all over him.

And as much as Canuck fans have dumped all over Mittelstadts game the fact is he has better hands with electric elite level moves and has been one of if not the best player everywhere he has played. And of note has excelled with well over a point a game every where he has played including international tournaments.

TylerJCampbell

May 9, 2016
Lloydminster, AB
soupsonhockey.com

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I know it's not going to happen but I'm more interested to see if Benning is smart enough to trade Tanev while his stock is high. His prime years are going to be wasted here and now would be an excellent opportunity to add some high young talent. If Benning was smart he could come away from this draft with some great pieces. Of course he won't though.

It is not actually a smart time to try to trade Tanev. The market is flooded with good defenceman available right now and some teams would prefer Methot, Vatanen, Harmonic, Scandella.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Yep, the wait for this glorious day has been agonizing. Love it! Can't wait to see the entire draft and see who gets what. Like a hockey nerds version of kid in a candy store

Would love it if Vilardi falls to us and we do the sensible thing and pick him. That would be a dream come true.

Otherwise, would still be ok with Glass, Pettersson, Makar or Heiskanen. In that order.

I won't even entertain the idea of getting another first rounder.

I've had this day bookmarked in the back of my mind for months like I'm sure many of you have. Let the festivities begin!!

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Everyone celebrate! This is going to be the Canucks highlight for the next bloody twelve months! Let's get that 2018 draft coverage prepped, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad