2017 NHL Draft Thread - Part VIII (Columbus cedes 2017 second-round draft pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I would still be happy with Mittelstadt at 5 (not buying into the pull up nonsense)....Its interesting,that we're looking at Pettersen and Glass,who are both scrawny and underdeveloped,and Mittelstadt,who is the chubby kid..All three have great hockey IQ,and are good choices.

You hit the nail on then head, great point!

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Man o man I am getting excited for the upcoming draft there are just so many guys in our range that Im super excited about but we cant get em all. Like i think Necas could be the steal of the draft but youd gotta be a lil angry if we draft him at 5 as so many lists have him around 10-15. Then a guy like Pettersson too he just could also be the steal of the draft Im pretty excited about him. Then theres Makar who i really think is being underrated just like Necas but a dman. Then theres the obvious guys like Glass Vilardi and Heiskanen but now everyone seems a lil down on Heiskanen so do all those other guys get past him? And then youd gotta assume Mittsy has dropped out of the top 8 with his disastrous combine showing

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Id say No. I had character issues with this player regarding his motivation, drive and will before the combine and now it's just confirmed my suspicions. We probably need to stay away from this kid.

That is a fair assessment, and I keep going back and forth on it myself.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I would not be upset if we took at Petterson at 5 (we won't), but I can see why a lot of scouting services, even ones like Pronman who is usually higher on the "small, skilled" guys, are down on him.

It's not to do with his weight or frame. Petterson seems very reliant on his pure talent and/or dangles. If scouts think that won't translate, then I see a pretty good rationale for not taking him.

For me, if there's Vilardi or Glass there, you take them. Simple as that. I just really do not want CM. I was hesitant on him before, and the combine didn't help.

I should point it is widely agreed that his Hockey IQ along with his passing are his strongest assets, if he was mainly dangles or reliant on skill without a brain I would not be nearly as high on him. As for pronman not being high on him who knows, every year pronman is all over the map with weird rankings, I asked him on twitter why he has him ranked so low when he typically has players similar to pettersson ranked very high and he did not respond (and he usually does respond to questions).

I would also like vilardi, i am just not as high on glass, i think if things work out he will be a fine player but I dont see as high of ceiling with him as I do the other two.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Hoping for Vilardi (but I doubt it because Canucks never get nice things).

I say we just draft Glass or Necas at #5. Idgaf if Necas is ranked at #8 to 15. He's a terrier, RHS, and played in a mens league. Totally fine with Makar at #5 too.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I want Necas even less than Liljegren.

Guy projects as a Hansen/Cogliano-level offensive player as a middle-6 forward. Would be a travesty to take a player with such little upside with such a high pick.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Guy projects as a Hansen/Cogliano-level offensive player as a middle-6 forward. Would be a travesty to take a player with such little upside with such a high pick.

Stat watching on a 17 year old in a mens leauge? This lesson should be learned by now.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I would not be upset if we took at Petterson at 5 (we won't), but I can see why a lot of scouting services, even ones like Pronman who is usually higher on the "small, skilled" guys, are down on him.

It's not to do with his weight or frame. Petterson seems very reliant on his pure talent and/or dangles. If scouts think that won't translate, then I see a pretty good rationale for not taking him.

yeah, i can see this. i just think he's doing too well to feel good about passing up on him

i wont be upset if we pick vilardi or glass. im expecting it tbh

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006

Valardi or bust for you?

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
Man the more and more I read about Glass the more more I'm having flashbacks to Gaunce. Almost identical to what scouts used to say about him. Adjus that for a weak draft and a weak WHL - and using that at #5 just seems :cry: hope the Yotes don't take him either

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
Man the more and more I read about Glass the more more I'm having flashbacks to Gaunce. Almost identical to what scouts used to say about him. Adjus that for a weak draft and a weak WHL - and using that at #5 just seems :cry: hope the Yotes don't take him either

Glass is the last guy I want at 5. He screams bust. Terrible to walk away with him as the consultation prize for this season. Personally id like to trade the pick for something like Vegas 1st next year +. If no trade then one of Villardi, Maker, Lilegren, or Petersson. Go with a high upside player.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
i want necas even less than liljegren.

Guy projects as a hansen/cogliano-level offensive player as a middle-6 forward. Would be a travesty to take a player with such little upside with such a high pick.

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
Kuzma saying dallas wants tanev and both 2nds for 3rd oa.

Tanev + 55th and a prospect like subban should be enough

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
You guys are greatly overvaluing the 3rd overall pick in this draft, or greatly undervaluing Tanev.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Kuzma saying dallas wants tanev and both 2nds for 3rd oa.

Tanev + 55th and a prospect like subban should be enough

Well I'm sure that offer is 100% BS (like all of them always are) but ultimately, given the choice, I'd pull the trigger on that (assuming Dallas wants to hold onto their goalies). I'd still try to take on a bad contract to recoup the pick(s).

That said, I'd try to keep our 2nd in exchange for their goalie.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

MS - How would you rank your top 15 in this draft?

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
I agree with those saying Tanev + 55 for Dallas' 3rd. To come out of this draft with a D + Top Forward would be a great jump start to our rebuild.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Stat watching on a 17 year old in a mens leauge? This lesson should be learned by now.

It has nothing to do with stat-watching. His stats are actually pretty good against that level of competition.

He's a speedy hands guy with a motor who is playing at an advanced level because of his skating ability. Nothing he does projects as either a high-level finisher nor a high-level playmaker. He projects as a 20-20-40 decent two-way middle-6 guy in the NHL. Like guys like Cogliano or Hansen or Higgins.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
He literally said " now I'm hearing Dallas wants both 2nd round picks"

So no.. not opinion

He literally wrote an article today suggesting the trade idea.

Ben Kuzma said:
If Benning wants to be bold, he could own the third and fifth picks when the opening round is conducted June 23 in Chicago. That would allow him to address two pressing needs — a playmaking centre and power-play point man — but the Stars are expected to up the ante. And why wouldn’t they?

If you believe Tanev and the 55th overall pick secured from the Columbus Blue Jackets as compensation for the October, 2015 hiring of coach John Tortorella is enough, think again.

It’s not a stretch to suggest that Stars GM Jim Nill would also want the 33rd overall pick in that package. And because Benning has talked about getting a good player with that early second-round pick — especially if a targeted first-rounder slides — there is going to be sticker shock and another plan of attack.

Benning could also create a bidding war and find more immediate help, but how does that play into selling a rebuild to this populace?

So yes..an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad