2017 NHL Draft Thread - Part VIII (Columbus cedes 2017 second-round draft pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Souring a bit on Mittelstadt... and not just because of the upper body strength issue. Something about the whole package leaves me wanting more.

OTOH, I've warmed to Petterson.

If we end up with Petterson, Vilardi, Makar, Heiskanen or Glass at 5, I won't be bent out of shape.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
You know what's really stupid about some of the scouting reports on Pettersson are is that he didn't have a great a world juniors. I just don't get it, he wasn't on the PP.

He drew the 3rd most penalties in the entire tournament.
I mean this is FROM ONE GAME

FireBenningNow

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
After seeing combine results and Youtube scouting :sarcasm: here's my top 33.

It's between Vilardi and Pettersson for me for the 5th pick. Anything else would be a bit of a disappointment. I imagine we will end up drafting Glass or Liljegrenthough, I know the Canucks didn't interview him but after the whole no trade clause misdirection I'm sure they think they're being fairly clever and he's still on their radar.

Also love Yamamoto:yo:, really think he will an impact player, hoping he falls to us in the 2nd round (I can dream, because even if he does this regime won't pick him).

1. Nico Hischier
2. Nolan Patrick
3. Gabe Vilardi
4. Elias Pettersson
5. Cale Makar
6. Casey Mittelstadt
7. Miro Heiskanen
8. Kailer Yamamoto
9. Nick Suzuki
10. Erik Brannstrom
11. Cody Glass
12. Martin Necas
13. Lias Andersson
14. Ryan Poehling
15. Timothy Liljegren
16. Urho Vaakanainen
17. Joni Ikonen
18. Robert Thomas
19. Kristian Vesalainen
20. Alexei Lipanov
21. Josh Norris
22. Jason Robertson
23. Filip Chytil
24. Juuso Valimaki
25. Isaac Ratcliffe
26. Jaret Anderson-Dolan
27. Eeli Tolvanen
28. Jake Oettinger
29. Robin Salo
30. Jesper Boqvist
31. Alexandre Texier
32. Nicolas Hague
33. Callan Foote

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Perhaps my crystal ball will be a little more clearer after 5pm tonight.

just my opnion

canucks10

Jan 15, 2014
Over the Rainbow
If this franchise really wants Pettersson then they better trade down and get an extra asset :rant:

Grabbing Pettersson @ 5 would be a reach IMHO

Problem with that is
1. You're going to have to find another team in the top 10 willing to trade up
2. You run the risk of another team grabbing him and you're stuck with a lesser prospect.

If Pettersson is their guy then take him @ 5 and don't worry about the perceived value

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Perhaps my crystal ball will be a little more clearer after 5pm tonight.

just my opnion

Intrigued...

Perhaps one could share at say 501 pm... actually I won't be home until much later... take your time, have a beer, enjoy the early evening sun... then share.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Problem with that is
2. You run the risk of another team grabbing him and you're stuck with a lesser prospect.

If Pettersson is their guy then take him @ 5 and don't worry about the perceived value

Good GM's will have a good idea about who is taking who, and generally where. Sure every once in a while there is surprises, but for the most part, a good GM should have a pulse on this.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Problem with that is

I guarantee we could cut a deal with Detroit to swap the 5th for the 9th. Detroit is probably the only franchise who is considering picking Pettersson in the top 10...except for us :facepalm:

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
You know what else was a reach, grabbing Juolevi at 5.

But Benning doesn't understand the nuances of trading down.

Pettersson at 5 isn't nearly as much of a reach as Juolevi was, at least in my opinion. I saw Tkachuk and Chychrun as being a tier or two above Juolevi at the time, but guys like Pettersson, Mittelstadt, and Glass are in the same tier in my eyes.

There is pretty much only one player I'd legitimately be upset about passing on and that's Vilardi.

canucks10

Jan 15, 2014
Over the Rainbow
I guarantee we could cut a deal with Detroit to swap the 5th for the 9th. Detroit is probably the only franchise who is considering picking Pettersson in the top 10...except for us :facepalm:

Why does Detroit want to trade up though? Unless they really fancy one of the defenceman I wouldn't think there would be a whole lot of motivation to move up.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I would not be upset if we took at Petterson at 5 (we won't), but I can see why a lot of scouting services, even ones like Pronman who is usually higher on the "small, skilled" guys, are down on him.

It's not to do with his weight or frame. Petterson seems very reliant on his pure talent and/or dangles. If scouts think that won't translate, then I see a pretty good rationale for not taking him.

For me, if there's Vilardi or Glass there, you take them. Simple as that. I just really do not want CM. I was hesitant on him before, and the combine didn't help.

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
This is a weird draft. I would honestly not be upset if we picked one of 5-6 players that everyone has already mentioned. The only one that I do not want is Liljegren.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
You know what else was a reach, grabbing Juolevi at 5.

But Benning doesn't understand the nuances of trading down.

I can't even remember when the last time a team with a top 5 pick traded down.

Edit: Just checked, and the last time it happened was 2004, and the team leaving the top 5 got a terrible deal (Andrew Ladd for Alexandre Picard and Kyle Wharton)

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
I would still be happy with Mittelstadt at 5 (not buying into the pull up nonsense)....Its interesting,that we're looking at Pettersen and Glass,who are both scrawny and underdeveloped,and Mittelstadt,who is the chubby kid..All three have great hockey IQ,and are good choices.

canucks10

Jan 15, 2014
Over the Rainbow
Ummmm to get a better player than Pettersson perhaps.

It's possible. I just feel that Detroit are in a very similar position as us in terms of roster quality and just starting to rebuild and in a draft where the top end talent is somewhat substandard why would they give up additional assets to move up.

Obviously they could like a certain prospect and feel the move is worth it but I wouldn't count on that happening.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I would still be happy with Mittelstadt at 5 (not buying into the pull up nonsense)....Its interesting,that we're looking at Pettersen and Glass,who are both scrawny and underdeveloped,and Mittelstadt,who is the chubby kid..All three have great hockey IQ,and are good choices.

And all need probably 2 years at least before any of them is physically ready for the NHL anyway. It's not like before the combine anyone though that they'd be suiting up in the bigs next season. The upside is high but so is the time frame on all 3.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This is a weird draft. I would honestly not be upset if we picked one of 5-6 players that everyone has already mentioned. The only one that I do not want is Liljegren.

This is a draft where a team drafting 15th will be shocked to find a player they had rated in the top 6-7 still on the board.....this may actually be one of the only times the NHL GM says..." we never expected player x to be still on the board for our pick" and actually have it be true.....have a gut feelings there's going to be a few first-round stunners....I'm steeling myself to have Jimbo go way off the board.

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
This is a draft where a team drafting 15th will be shocked to find a player they had rated in the top 6-7 still on the board.....this may actually be one of the only times the NHL GM says..." we never expected player x to be still on the board for our pick" and actually have it be true.....have a gut feelings there's going to be a few first-round stunners....I'm steeling myself to have Jimbo go way off the board.
Starting with the #1..I don't think its going to be Nolan Patrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad