2017 NHL Draft Thread - Part VIII (Columbus cedes 2017 second-round draft pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
I should point it is widely agreed that his Hockey IQ along with his passing are his strongest assets, if he was mainly dangles or reliant on skill without a brain I would not be nearly as high on him. As for pronman not being high on him who knows, every year pronman is all over the map with weird rankings, I asked him on twitter why he has him ranked so low when he typically has players similar to pettersson ranked very high and he did not respond (and he usually does respond to questions).

I would also like vilardi, i am just not as high on glass, i think if things work out he will be a fine player but I dont see as high of ceiling with him as I do the other two.
I think his shot is up there with his passing, puck handling, and his IQ. I'd argue his offensive upside is one of the highest in the draft. He definitely needs to add strength and work on his first couple of steps, but those are skills that are a lot easier to develop.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
You guys are greatly overvaluing the 3rd overall pick in this draft, or greatly undervaluing Tanev.

Spot on. Tanev straight up is fantastic value for Dallas, it's ridiculous how underrated a prime aged top pairing defender on a fantastic contract is.

Literally the only reason Dallas should pass on this is if they have issues with Tanev's health, which is a valid concern. Otherwise, it's a grand slam deal for a team in their position.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It has nothing to do with stat-watching. His stats are actually pretty good against that level of competition.

He's a speedy hands guy with a motor who is playing at an advanced level because of his skating ability. Nothing he does projects as either a high-level finisher nor a high-level playmaker. He projects as a 20-20-40 decent two-way middle-6 guy in the NHL. Like guys like Cogliano or Hansen or Higgins.

Do not want if you're right.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Absolutely no to Tanev and both 2nds for the 3rd. Find a separate deal for Tanev where we end up with more picks.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
You know what...F***it and do it! It makes me sick to my stomach to give up that 33rd pick but I'm getting so used to bleeding assets now then why not IMHO! This will ensure we finish @ the bottom of the league for the foreseeable future and the rebuild will officially start :towel:

Leave these 2 picks (Vilardi /Glass and Makar) in the minors with OJ, Boeser, Goldobin and Dahlin for a season or two so they learn how to win but more importantly... they win together.

Add them to the other hi draft picks we will acquire and to the other players that will step up, then bring them ALL up at the same time.

Build through the draft Benning and if I see that your doing a good job with selecting the proper players and actually moving this franchise forward then maybe I'll get off your a** ( no guarantees though :naughty: )

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You know what...F***it and do it! It makes me sick to my stomach to give up that 33rd pick but I'm getting so used to bleeding assets now then why not IMHO! This will ensure we finish @ the bottom of the league for the foreseeable future and the rebuild will officially start :towel:

Leave these 2 picks (Vilardi /Glass and Makar) in the minors with OJ, Boeser, Goldobin and Dahlin for a season or two so they learn how to win but more importantly... they win together.

Add them to the other hi draft picks we will acquire and to the other players that will step up, then bring them ALL up at the same time.

Build through the draft Benning and if I see that your doing a good job with selecting the proper players and actually moving this franchise forward then maybe I'll get off your a** ( no guarantees though :naughty: )

Zero interest in giving up picks 33 and 55 just so Benning can blow 2 top 5 picks this year (taking Mittelstadt and Liljegren).

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Absolutely no to Tanev and both 2nds for the 3rd. Find a separate deal for Tanev where we end up with more picks.

Agreed. If they want both our 2nd round picks, it's an easy pass. We'll keep Tanev so he can stabilize OUR blueline and we'll draft some good players with those 2nd rounders.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Zero interest in giving up picks 33 and 55 just so Benning can blow 2 top 5 picks this year (taking Mittelstadt and Liljegren).

And if he takes Vilardi and Makar..? It seems kinda silly to dismiss that offer when simply discussing value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad