2017 NHL Draft (Mod warning Post #736)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
I would be happy with Mittelstadt, Vilardi, and am coming around on Liljegren and Tippett. Tolvanen is looking solid too.

Tippett will scare the **** out a few people on this board as he plays a lot like Virtanen. The one thing he does that Virtanen did not in junior is plays a lot harder shift to shift.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
That would explain why he's sometimes referred to as "Nikita A. Popugayev"

I hope Feebster is doing well, I haven't seen him post here in a while

Not to get tooo creepy here but I checked his Twitter and, while he's not tweeting anymore, he's still liking other people's tweets every once in a while. I hope he's doing well too, he was my favorite poster to read back when I was still just a lurker here.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Tippett will scare the **** out a few people on this board as he plays a lot like Virtanen. The one thing he does that Virtanen did not in junior is plays a lot harder shift to shift.

sounds like a Bennings pick

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Virtanen + a stronger work ethic - injury problems - poor development - a bit of physicality is roughly equal to Tippett.

That's not a bad player at all. Definitely not who I'd actively want, but it's not the worst case scenario.

Last edited:

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
The big Popugaev was the one, who won that skating contest, not the small one.

Really? The guy in that video doesn't look big at all and Popugayev has never showed anything close to speed like that in the 5 or so games I've seen of him. I shouldn't have said that in absolute since I wasn't exactly sure, but I'll trust you.

I've learned that speed competitions don't necessarily make you fast after watching Pedan last year.

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Really? The guy in that video doesn't look big at all and Popugayev has never showed anything close to speed like that in the 5 or so games I've seen of him. I shouldn't have said that in absolute since I wasn't exactly sure, but I'll trust you.

I've learned that speed competitions don't necessarily make you fast after watching Pedan last year.

So to make sure we're talking about the right guy, he is in the video below at 3:16 (#70):

Just by the look, I'd say he was very good at turns there, but other guys were faster than him at accelerating on the straight parts.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
More likely than you're willing to admit ;)

Not really. I would be shocked if we made a trade and acquired a pick in that range.

Though walking out of the draft with someone like Vilardi and Strome, or Mittelstadt and Foote would be nice.

I trust the Kelowna Rockets and their defensive factory. Foote could be the next on a long list of defenseman who have had good NHL careers coming out of Kelowna.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Not really. I would be shocked if we made a trade and acquired a pick in that range.

Though walking out of the draft with someone like Vilardi and Strome, or Mittelstadt and Foote would be nice.

I trust the Kelowna Rockets and their defensive factory. Foote could be the next on a long list of defenseman who have had good NHL careers coming out of Kelowna.

heh...
Ok.. let's assume Benning trades the 5th overall pick for someone's 15th..
How deep is this draft in forwards and how deep is it in dman?

i.e. will we be chosing between the 11th or 12th best forward vs the 3rd or 4th best dman?
or
visa versa
or
do ya think we would be choosing between the 7th/8th best forward vs the 7th/8th best dman?

(i know NOTHING of this draft class yet)

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Cale Makar and and Lias Andersson are two guys that realistically could be there at 13-16 that I'd target. Makar is a dynamic skating OFD, Andersson is a crafty versatile TWF.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Cale Makar and and Lias Andersson are two guys that realistically could be there at 13-16 that I'd target. Makar is a dynamic skating OFD, Andersson is a crafty versatile TWF.

Valimaki is also another defenseman who has snuck up the charts.

It looks to me like the first 7 picks are mostly forwards (6) and one defenseman (Liljegren), then the next grouping has mostly defensemen and a few forwards.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Admittedly know little about dmen but I like foote. Needs to be more aggressive defensively sometimes but reminds me a lot of Braydon coburn.

Tryforthekingdom

Nov 15, 2015
heh...
Ok.. let's assume Benning trades the 5th overall pick for someone's 15th..
How deep is this draft in forwards and how deep is it in dman?

i.e. will we be chosing between the 11th or 12th best forward vs the 3rd or 4th best dman?
or
visa versa
or
do ya think we would be choosing between the 7th/8th best forward vs the 7th/8th best dman?

(i know NOTHING of this draft class yet)

Definitely the first. I would say Liljegren is still the only D-man I feel is a lock to go in the top-15 while the other top D-men are a little more volatile. That said, there's still going to be 3 or 4 in the first half of the first round, the question is more who will they be. After Liljegren, I could see any of Hague, Foote, Makar, Heiskanen, or Valimaki going in that range.

Tank

May 9, 2012
Langley
I think there are some good prospects in the top 15 where we likely will be drafting as long as we draft high skill I am pleased. It will likely be a forward because I feel Liljegrin is the only high skill defenseman I would take. He and OJ would be a great building block for out future that is hard to get. I don't know about you guys but I feel so much better about our drafting as long as they leave it in the hands of Bracket and Palango they seem to be getting us the prospects we have not been able to get in the previous drafts with Crawford and delorme. One or two more strong drafts could get us back to competing consistently.I have always felt good about Ontario but now with Brackett US looks like a strength too. If we want strong scouting in two regions they are the two for me. Now about the west.....

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC

With how this draft is projecting I'm no longer confident Makar will be there in the 13-16 range. Possible top 10 pick atm.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Yeah I like those two as well just from scouting reports. Would prefer a forward, but Makar is very intriguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad