2017 NHL Draft (Mod warning Post #736)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Do you have Vilardi that low because you have concerns with his skating?

Skating absolutely is a factor, but Vilardi also has yet to prove that he can drive a line at even strength. He's been riding shotgun with one of the OHL's best playmakers and doesn't exactly have gaudy 5v5 numbers.

f7f14c5d2bf54c81bd8594256a0a37ee.png

Also, MacAuley Carson is easily the most annoying name in the whole draft.

Also holy **** Pettersson is a ****ing toothpick.

I outweigh him and I'm 5'10

I'm not sure how accurate those measurements are, but Pettersson definitely isn't the bulkiest guy out there. One of my biggest concerns regarding him is that he's prone to falling on his ass frequently.

JA

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/is-hischier-closing-in-on-patrick-to-be-no-1-pick~1037880

Transcript:
Is Hischier closing in on Patrick to be No. 1 pick?
Jan 18

Nolan Patrick is widely considered to be the No. 1 pick in this year's NHL Draft, but is Swiss sensation Nico Hischier closing the gap? TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button weighs in, and also lists the greatest asset of each player.

Transcript:

James Duthie: "And those two young men lead us to our Director of Scouting, Craig Button. Central Scouting releasing its ranking of the 2017 draft prospects on Wednesday, and Nolan Patrick is expected to be No. 1 overall, but Nico Hischier, the Swiss sensation -- is he right behind him now, Craig?

Craig Button: "Well, Nolan Patrick is No. 1., but it's not clear No. 1. Nico Hischier is definitely nipping at his heels. If you watched Nico in the World Junior Hockey Championships, he just got better and better as the tournament went on -- and against very good competition. He was a dominant player. And now, I go on Sunday and watch him in Halifax, and just when you think it's hard to build on that World Junior performance, he does. He takes over the game, he scores two goals, and you see things that remind you of Henrik Zetterberg: that ability to play a lot of minutes, a lot of critical situations, and to produce at those moments. But, right now, Nolan Patrick remains 1. He hasn't had the opportunity to play because of injury. The Prospects Game coming up on January 30th is gonna give scouts a real opportunity to watch him play, head to head vs Nico Hischier, and it's an opportunity for Nolan Patrick, who's been a little bit behind here because of the injury, to show what he can do. You look back to previous drafts, there was Taylor vs Tyler, there was Jack vs Mac, and I suggest now there is a case for Nolan vs Nico.

Duthie: "All right. Give me the greatest asset of each player. We might as well start with Nolan, who is back, as you mentioned, after three months off."

Button: "Nolan Patrick has a real economy of effort when he plays the game. He is exceptionally smart, understands what's unfolding, and there's not a lot of wasted energy. But when the opportunity arises, he takes full advantage of it and has that quick strike ability. Nico Hischier has a real quiet fire to him. He's got a determination that will not allow himself to be denied. They both have very good skill, they're both very good centers, but those are the two elements that I think stand out for each of the two players."

Duthie: "Patrick would be the first Manitoban who would go first overall if he goes there. Which NHLer's style of play does he most remind you of right now?"

Button: "He reminds me of Eric Staal: that ability to make plays, the ability to shoot the puck, that big centerman that can play down low, that can play defence, be good on faceoffs. He's not gonna wow you with a lot of flash and dash a la a Connor McDavid -- but Connor McDavid is an exceptional player -- but Nolan Patrick, to me, is like Eric Staal, and if you're building your team up the middle of the ice with a player like Nolan Patrick, you're in really good shape."

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Skating absolutely is a factor, but Vilardi also has yet to prove that he can drive a line at even strength. He's been riding shotgun with one of the OHL's best playmakers and doesn't exactly have gaudy 5v5 numbers.

f7f14c5d2bf54c81bd8594256a0a37ee.png

Also, MacAuley Carson is easily the most annoying name in the whole draft.

I'm not sure how accurate those measurements are, but Pettersson definitely isn't the bulkiest guy out there. One of my biggest concerns regarding him is that he's prone to falling on his ass frequently.

If you project ppg then Vilardi jumps to 2nd on that list.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
Anyone have an update report on timothy liljegren? Or resource to point me towards a report? Much appreciated.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
I think a faster Zetterberg is a fair comparison. Just add some speed and take away some strength.

JA

Halifax Mooseheads vs Baie-Comeau Drakkar (January 20, 2017):

One goal, two assists, three points for Nico in last night's game. He had eight shots on goal, six of which were listed as dangerous shots.

Updated statistics (as of January 20, 2017):

10 goals, 9 assists, 19 points in 8 games since the 2017 World Juniors.

33 goals, 34 assists, 67 total points in 39 games so far this season: 1.718 points per game.

Since October 26 (Game 14 onward): 28 goals, 26 assists, 54 points in 26 games: 2.077 points per game.

He leads the entire QMJHL in points per game with 1.718: in second place is Filip Chlapik (1.66); in third is Mathieu Joseph (1.61); in fourth is Maxime Fortier (1.54).

Last edited by a moderator:

President of Hockey

Aug 13, 2016
NHL.com's two writers both have us picking HV 71`s Lias Andersson at13 in their latest mock-draft. Can anyone give some Intel on this guy?

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
I need a Feebster review of picks before I can get into this draft. I did watch Cody Glass vs the Loops and he is quick slick and smooth on the ice. He doesn't "rip" the puck but he has a very quick release. Was solid at both ends of the rink.

A very good skater as well, very fluid with his skating.

Josepho

Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
On the topic of Popugayev, I was scrolling through this thread and realized that I forgot to reply to this.

On that note, I would draft Nikita Popugayev, he's 6'5 and can skate extremely fast. Here's a video of the KHL fastest skater competition in which he timed 13.528

For comparison sake, Larkin who holds the record in NHL did 13.172 which beat Gartner at 13.386

I would like to see JetsAlternate do a comparison of Hischier and Popugayev speed

This is a different Nikita Popugayev who is 5'8". The one in NA isn't exactly a speedster.

Last edited:

boligno*

Jan 20, 2017
I'd personally take a Zetterberg over a Staal any day

As in you prefer watching one playing style over the other?

Because assuming Hischier will have the same career as Zetterberg and Patrick will have the same career as Staal and then deciding between them on that basis is meaningless.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
On the topic of Popugayev, I was scrolling through this thread and realized that I forgot to reply to this.

This is a different Nikita Popugayev who is 5'8". The one in NA isn't exactly a speedster.

Popugaev is a hulking tank so he is definitely not fast. I had no idea there was another Popugayev...? I've seen different spellings of the last name and that also makes it confusing.

Josepho

Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Popugaev is a hulking tank so he is definitely not fast. I had no idea there was another Popugayev...? I've seen different spellings of the last name and that also makes it confusing.

He's an overager who's doing decently in the MHL. Not sure if he'll get drafted, leaning towards no.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He's an overager who's doing decently in the MHL. Not sure if he'll get drafted, leaning towards no.

Weird. I now see one goes by Nikita A. Popugayev and then other Nikita O. Popugayev.

The one that plays with the Cougars has his named spelt Popugaev, to add more confusion. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad