GDT: 2017 NHL Draft - 8, 37, 54, 89, 99, 192

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Pretty well what I hope. I was surprised we spent picks on second year college players that were not highly rated. That is the type of player that usually gets to free agency because they are long shots to make the nhl after only one or two years post draft. I am not overly happy but que sera sera.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I have to admit, it bothered me seeing Pegula sitting there next to Botterill going over notes and materials during rounds 2-7. Most expensive game of fantasy hockey anyone has ever played.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I have to admit, it bothered me seeing Pegula sitting there next to Botterill going over notes and materials during rounds 2-7. Most expensive game of fantasy hockey anyone has ever played.

What?

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Reads like he's assuming input on hockey decisions from Pegs. Which, you know, can't rule out I guess

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Reads like he's assuming input on hockey decisions from Pegs. Which, you know, can't rule out I guess
I was watching NHL network. They had an extended shot of the sabres table with Bots and Pegula facing the camera. Pegula was there with a pen and notes, going over papers, etc. And he wasn't 4 seats away from the GM, but right next to him. It just had a weird vibe to it. Maybe it's common practice.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Anyone want to fire up a 2018 draft thread? I would, but I figure I'd let someone who can make the first post a bit more informative do it...

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I was watching NHL network. They had an extended shot of the sabres table with Bots and Pegula facing the camera. Pegula was there with a pen and notes, going over papers, etc. And he wasn't 4 seats away from the GM, but right next to him. It just had a weird vibe to it. Maybe it's common practice.

Pegula has stated multiple times he finds the draft process interesting and wants to learn more about the scouting/evaluation of players. So I guess the original premise of being expensive fantasy hockey is true.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
You think he drafted a finish d that even the experts had never heard of before? Is that what we're doing now?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Anyone who spent the previous season in North America can sign after being passed over, so long as they sign before the Major Junior season starts (or before the NHL season if they get a try-out with an NHL club). So you might conceivably see a CHLer, or two, with remaining draft eligibility get signed if they show enough in dev camp/training camp.

On an unrelated note, I see the Isles drafted Aho in the fifth.

Dylan Coghlan, 19 year old, WHL RHD with Tri-City fills the bill. #77 for NA skaters, solid skills and skating, HP had him at 82, FC had him at 118, McKeens in the "HM"'s, Redline at 138. The only downside to this is that he went to the Wings dev camp last year so they would likely be first in line.

Maybe Brady Lyle or Adam Thilander fit the bill too -- though Thilander is only a year removed from playing in Sweden. Both can move about and have more puck skills than not. Hmmmm....

Anyone want to fire up a 2018 draft thread? I would, but I figure I'd let someone who can make the first post a bit more informative do it...

Not just yet, but I might put something together tomorrow to get the ball rolling.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Who's left for our 37 and 54 picks:

Ratcliffe
Robertson
Timmins
DiPietro
Boqvist
Anderson-Dolan
Safin
Ikonen
Mismash
Farrance
Luukkonen
Hague
Heponiemi
Davidsson
Petruzelli
Comtois
Lipanov

2 of those would be nice, with 1 preferred to be a goalie. The other one to be a scoring forward or D.

Going back to my round 2 wishlist. We got pretty much what I wanted so I cant really complain lol. I think I may have had Davidsson a bit lower than I should on that list after revising the info on him. But looking at his numbers he could fit in the scoring forward mold and Luukkonen is about as good of a goalie prospect pick as I could have desired. 3rd plus is a crap shoot and there is minimal meaningful info on the picks so we will have to wait and see. Only thing Im a bit pisses about is we didnt get Farrance when we had numerous shots at taking him but we may have an even better prospect - we simply dont know yet.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
#Statwatching

2015-2016 Superelit U20 numbers

Davidsson - 45: 17-23-40 +26 (early round 2)
Weissbach - 44: 17-31-48 +19 (round 7)

Notable comparables:
Lias Andersson - 37: 24-35-59 +17 (top 10 pick)
Jesper Boqvist - 38: 23-35-58 +23 (early round 2)

Considering Davidsson scouting report states defensively responsible center, I am happy with these numbers!! I am not going to look too much into his 16-17 as these are based on limited ice time it seems in a men's league.

Davidsson's Djurgardens was near the top of the league. Weissbach's Frolunda mid table. Andersson's team was in the top half of the league and Boqvist's team was top of the league.

2016-2017 USHL

Weissbach - 49: 19-28-47 +1 (round 7)
Casey Mittelstadt - 24: 13-17-30 +3 (top 10 pick)

Notable comparables:
Jack Adams 56: 37-23-60 +24 (round 6)
Eeli Tolvanen 52: 30-24-54 +18 (late round 1)
Cole Guttman 53: 27-27-54 +21 (round 6)
Nick Swaney 47: 26-25-51 +29 (round 7)
Colin Adams 57: 24-27-51 +21 (round 6)
Shane Bowers 60: 22-29-51 +14 (late round 1)
Jack Badini 59: 28-14-42 +14 (late round 3)
Josh Norris 61: 27-34-61 +5 (mid round 1)

Weissbach posted good numbers on bottom-of-the-league team. Who may be an absolute steal looking at his USHL and Superelit numbers. If they can make him defend well too (which seems to be an issue), this boy has potential.
Casey Mittelstadt has the highest PPG in the league out of all drafted players and by some margin too on a mid-table team. Stats fully support his draft position.

No point going into D stats as their defensive play is very important too. Our F prospects definitely have good numbers attached to their names considering draft positions.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
#Statwatching

2015-2016 Superelit U20 numbers

Davidsson - 45: 17-23-40 +26 (early round 2)

Notable comparables:
Lias Andersson - 37: 24-35-59 +17 (top 10 pick)

.89 pts/game is not really comparable to 1.59 pts/gm.

2016-2017 USHL

Weissbach - 49: 19-28-47 +1 (round 7)
Casey Mittelstadt - 24: 13-17-30 +3 (top 10 pick)

Weissbach posted good numbers on bottom-of-the-league team. Who may be an absolute steal looking at his USHL and Superelit numbers. If they can make him defend well too (which seems to be an issue), this boy has potential.

Don't forget Weissbach is a year older (has an extra year of development). I dont think its a fair comparison to make. There are plenty of players his age with similar point totals.

Casey Mittelstadt has the highest PPG in the league out of all drafted players and by some margin too on a mid-table team. Stats fully support his draft position.

He shot 21%. That doesn't really suggest that his stats are an accurate representation of his play.

The next highest scoring player, Zach Solow (1.23 pts/gm compared to CM's 1.25) wasnt drafted.

Mittelstadt's 5v5 numbers are not impressive.

.46 pts/gm (53rd in the league, 15th among draft eligible)

There might be reasons to be optimistic about Mittelstadt but stats arent one of them.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I meant comparable as in "also just drafted" from that league. Didn't mean to say the PPG are close. And, yes Linus is overager but that doesn' automatically erase the fact that he put in decent numbers for a bottom of the league team.

Where did you get the 5v5 numbers from? USHL website or somehwere else?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He didn't fall anywhere. As discussed repeatedly heading into the draft...he only ever went higher than he did in real life anywhere when people had us reaching for him. He was rated in the low teens/twenties and went 4th out of the run of 5 second tier D. Just like he was expected to

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Leafs drafted a D that will be in their top 4 for a decade. I don't really care where he was 'expected' to go. Was a good pick up for them. His fall was a great thing for Toronto.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
So tired of hearing how smart the Leafs are, they won a god damn lottery and got a 40 goal scorer as a rookie. Let's stop acting like they are some ****ing model franchise.

They drafted Mitch Marner exactly where he was projected to be taken, they drafted William Nylander exactly where he was projected to be taken. Liljegren was rated 16 and they drafted him at 17, they've made the right picks, but my god is that organization getting its tires pumped around here.

If you wanna talk about a progressive franchise it's Tampa Bay.

Last edited:

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
So tired of hearing how smart the Leafs are, they won a god damn lottery and got a 40 goal scorer as a rookie. Let's stop acting like they are some ****ing model franchise.

They drafted Mitch Marner exactly where he was projected to be taken, they drafted William Nylander exactly where he was projected to be taken. Liljegren was rated 16 and they drafted him at 17, they've made the right picks, but my god is that organization getting its tires pumped around here.

If you wanna talk about a progressive franchise it's Tampa Bay.

Leafs got out of crap contracts, one thing the Sabres haven't been able to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad