GDT: 2017 NHL Draft - 8, 37, 54, 89, 99, 192

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
For all the hubbub about Botterill not signing Estephan, it is a bit telling that no one has spent a draft pick on him so far.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
For all the hubbub about Botterill not signing Estephan, it is a bit telling that no one has spent a draft pick on him so far.

Redraftees usually go pretty late if at all. The questions some teams will have would be "why didn't Buffalo sign him, what's wrong with him" as well as being able to take more potential in 18 year olds for the most part and pluck him up later as a UFA.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I think the issue is the contract terms. He wants a max contract for ELC, not a 6th round pick contract.

He probably figures if he re-enters the draft he'd be a 1st round pick.

An all time great post

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Redraftees usually go pretty late if at all. The questions some teams will have would be "why didn't Buffalo sign him, what's wrong with him" as well as being able to take more potential in 18 year olds for the most part and pluck him up later as a UFA.

It's a phenomenon that honestly perplexes me. You think teams would like the idea of a prospect that's at least a little more developed; diversified the ages of your prospect pool. Surprised. Ore teams don't take late round fliers on redrafts

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
All American/European players. No CHL. Interesting choices with all the undersized older players late.

Not really a fan of it in general but hopefully one of them turns out. Definitely think there was some better CHL options than the other longshot picks.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It's really not. Re-entries hardly ever get drafted. They get signed afterwards. He will get an ELC this summer like every other 20 year old "steal" who didn't get signed.

Of course he'll get signed, but this shows he's not considered any better than the average redraftee.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's a phenomenon that honestly perplexes me. You think teams would like the idea of a prospect that's at least a little more developed; diversified the ages of your prospect pool. Surprised. Ore teams don't take late round fliers on redrafts

Or they view it that they can select someone for the first time and use UFA to sign him.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
If Ristolainen, McCabe and Guhle all become what we think they can then we really don't need a young D for quite awhile. I think we need to focus on getting Scandella or Shattenkirk.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Wonder if you see one or two of those guys sign with someone this summer (only the guys who played in North America, that is)

I know Knoepke and McManus are off to UM, Anderson to Omaha, Tortora to BC, Messner to Wisconsin.

Maybe AJ Pratt but I thought he couldn't sign since this was only his first pass through the draft?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I know Knoepke and McManus are off to UM, Anderson to Omaha, Tortora to BC, Messner to Wisconsin.

Maybe AJ Pratt but I thought he couldn't sign since this was only his first pass through the draft?

Anyone who spent the previous season in North America can sign after being passed over, so long as they sign before the Major Junior season starts (or before the NHL season if they get a try-out with an NHL club). So you might conceivably see a CHLer, or two, with remaining draft eligibility get signed if they show enough in dev camp/training camp.

On an unrelated note, I see the Isles drafted Aho in the fifth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad