GDT: 2017 NHL Draft - 8, 37, 54, 89, 99, 192

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
DCdsGxOU0AEzkJl.jpg

Round 1: June 23, 7 pm ET - NBCSN, Sportsnet

Rounds 2 - 7: June 24, 10 am ET - NHLN, Sportsnet

McKenzie's final rankings: http://www.tsn.ca/mckenzie-s-draft-ranking-top-93-and-honourable-mentions-1.778987

NHL Central Scouting Rankings: http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm?year=2017

Buffalo holds:
8 (Buf 1st)
37 (Buf 2nd)
54 (Min 2nd)
89 (Was 3rd)
99 (Buf 4th)
192 (Buf 7th)

Last edited:

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
From the last draft thread:
Also, per usual on draft days, here's a foolproof Mibbit link for those interested in the chat; just enter your nick and then hit go there .. pertinent info's the irc.esper.net server and #sabres channel for those that are familiar with IRC or prefer another client .. I'll be in there intermittently throughout the day and definitely around for draft hours.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Come on down Cale Makar. Find a way botts.

Honestly, I'm starting to feel like Botteril might be more like Regier, than Murray.

Murray would wheel and deal, sometimes for the good, and the really bad. And would overpay a bit to force the issue.

But i feel like Botteril is more of a slow growth type who will use most of his picks instead of trading them. And look for "cheaper" reclamation projects.

I think you already see this in his Montreal trade. (Mind you, it helped that the Sabres had expansion draft forcing Montreal to move on Nathan Beaulieu)

There's no way Maker falls to #8

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Honestly, I'm starting to feel like Botteril might be more like Regier, than Murray.

Made a similar statement to my brother yesterday. Tight-lipped and few leaks. Concerned more with building depth than making splashy moves - fortunately, we have cornerstone players, at least up front, that makes this less of an issue. This is not to say that Botterill will share Regier's faults, but I think we'll see a far, far more conservative manager than Murray.

If that happens, who are the options you see in the mix?

Just going by McKenzie's consensus scout rankings, I think DiPietro , U-P Luukkonen, and Maxim Zhukov are all possibilities. Based on the little I saw of the U18's, I'd be happy with Zhukov, preferably with our late-2nd if we're selecting a G in the 2nd round.

Of course, if Oettinger slips to 37, he would be a possibility, as well - but I don't think he's there.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Trade pick #8 and #54 to vegas for #15 and colin miller. Idk how much they'd really want for him.

Pick Yamamoto, Suzuki or Valimaki..

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

Murray would wheel and deal, sometimes for the good, and the really bad. And would overpay a bit to force the issue.

But i feel like Botteril is more of a slow growth type who will use most of his picks instead of trading them. And look for "cheaper" reclamation projects.

I think you already see this in his Montreal trade. (Mind you, it helped that the Sabres had expansion draft forcing Montreal to move on Nathan Beaulieu)

There's no way Maker falls to #8

There's nothing wrong with that either. The only valid gripe about Darcy was his patch jobs that kept us out of the playoffs and a good draft spot.

I don't care how bored fans are as long as we're making smart moves.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
No thanks.

Not advocating. Simply conveying a hunch.

If Botts isn't sold on Lehner as his long-term guy, and, with the likely departure of Petersen, the lack of a likely NHL starter anywhere in the system, I think they use one of their 2nd rounders on a G. Plus, looking at the Pens' draft history during his tenure there, they weren't afraid to go goaltender in the first few rounds.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Not advocating. Simply conveying a hunch.

If Botts isn't sold on Lehner as his long-term guy, and, with the likely departure of Petersen, the lack of a likely NHL starter anywhere in the system, I think they use one of their 2nd rounders on a G. Plus, looking at the Pens' draft history during his tenure there, they weren't afraid to go goaltender in the first few rounds.

It's a reasonable guess, but I wouldn't be happy about it. We could really use all three of our top picks on skaters if not leveraged in a trade. The draft gets weaker than average after the 2nd, so that's the time to go after a goalie IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad