2017 NBA Trade Deadline Discussion Thread

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Biggest surprise for me was Boston not doing anything today. I guess they are confident in their group or are waiting for next year to go for it.

The Celtics being in all the rumours with the end result being Danny Ainge doing nothing and hanging onto his precious assets is like an annual tradition now.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I think Boston has made a big mistake. The Cavs are still a great team but they're not nearly as good as they were last season. If they had added Boogie or PG13 or Butler I think they'd have the fire-power to get past the Cavs.

What good does holding onto their pick do? Especially considering that the 2 guys who are projected to go 1-2 are point guards. Unless Boston just isn't sold on Isaiah Thomas as their PG moving forward due to his horrible defense, I'm not really sure what Boston wants with the Brooklyn pick.

Hypothetically if they had packaged the 2017 BKN 1st, Jae Crowder, Terry Rozier and Amir Johnson to Sacramento for Boogie and Casspi, how much better does Boston look for this season? And that package definitely would've beaten out New Orleans' offer.

That same package likely would've landed them either Paul George or Jimmy Butler easily too.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Sorry, but adding Taj Gibson and Doug McDermott doesn't do much to push the needle for OKC in the West.

Are they a better team? Sure. But are they now a serious contender? Not even close. This deal makes them a marginally tougher 1st round out, but that's it.

While I don't really disagree about them getting past the 2nd.....they certainly would make it a series in the 4/5 spot against Houston, Utah or LAC.

Sabonis is so bad, Gibson will be a huge asset for them as they've become more physical lately. McDermott has a lot of potential, I don't really see him as anything special but if he gets in the right usage roll he could still really excel.

That same package likely would've landed them either Paul George or Jimmy Butler easily too.

George has more or less made it clear he wants Indiana to drastically improve the roster or he's going to LA. I don't really think he wants anything else.
No arguments about Butler, they really should have pushed for him and just bit the bullet with Crowder

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
While I don't really disagree about them getting past the 2nd.....they certainly would make it a series in the 4/5 spot against Houston, Utah or LAC.

Sabonis is so bad, Gibson will be a huge asset for them as they've become more physical lately. McDermott has a lot of potential, I don't really see him as anything special but if he gets in the right usage roll he could still really excel.

As of right now, Houston would shred the Thunder in a 7 game series. Best case scenario OKC winds up as the 5 seed. They could pass Memphis or Utah (though I think that's highly unlikely) but they won't get by LAC, especially with CP3 coming back soon.

If they do land the 5 seed and play LAC in the first round, I don't see that series going more than 6 games before the Clippers oust them. Thunder improved themselves, but they're still well beneath the Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, Clippers and those are the teams they'd have to face in the first round (with their opponent having home court advantage no less).

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
George has more or less made it clear he wants Indiana to drastically improve the roster or he's going to LA. I don't really think he wants anything else.
No arguments about Butler, they really should have pushed for him and just bit the bullet with Crowder

That's true. However I think odds are that George would be open to staying in Boston after 2 tries with them at a championship. It would be the best chance he's had in his career at a ring.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Dumbest rumour I've seen floating around is Rubio for Rose. I've been saying the Wolves should try to do something with Rubio but that would just be stupid.

They want to open a spot for Dunn to start but trading Rubio for D-Rose would just be idiotic.

Also LOL at the Sixers getting fleeced for Nerlens.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The Celtics being in all the rumours with the end result being Danny Ainge doing nothing and hanging onto his precious assets is like an annual tradition now.

I love seeing Simmons frantically come up with trades that rob the other teams only to see the C's get shot down. Ainge keeps thinking the 28 other teams are also ran by Divac. :laugh: :laugh: ... how do you expect to get the fourth best SF in the NBA for Jamison Crowder Kelly Olnyk and draft picks. Yo'll need to part with Bradley/Brown/Smart and then some.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I love seeing Simmons frantically come up with trades that rob the other teams only to see the C's get shot down. Ainge keeps thinking the 28 other teams are also ran by Divac. :laugh: :laugh: ... how do you expect to get the fourth best SF in the NBA for Jamison Crowder Kelly Olnyk and draft picks. Yo'll need to part with Bradley/Brown/Smart and then some.

Based on what Boogie went for, I think it's safe to say that the 2017 Brooklyn pick, Crowder, Kelly Olynyk/Terry Rozier/Amir Johnson, etc. would've gotten it done. I think you're underestimating the value of the Brooklyn pick, especially to a team like Indiana who has a lot of incentive to cash in on George and build around Myles Turner. George's value will only decrease between now and the draft.

That said, if I'm the Celtics I'd have no problem including Jaylen Brown in a trade for either George or Butler. If the 2017 BKN 1st, Jaylen Brown, and Amir Johnson (for cap purposes) is what it takes to get either of those guys (more likely George) I'd do it. That would set up Boston nicely for this season and next improving their starting lineup and bench. And it would give Indiana the ability to retool with cap space and two great young assets to work with around Turner.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Based on what Boogie went for, I think it's safe to say that the 2017 Brooklyn pick, Crowder, Kelly Olynyk/Terry Rozier/Amir Johnson, etc. would've gotten it done. I think you're underestimating the value of the Brooklyn pick, especially to a team like Indiana who has a lot of incentive to cash in on George and build around Myles Turner. George's value will only decrease between now and the draft.

Were they willing to give up BKN 2017? I thought it was only 2018.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California

I don't think they were, and that's why nothing happened. I'm just saying I think they should've made it available for a player like George or Butler. And I think that pick in itself plus a few other smaller assets would've been enough to get it done.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Cause Buddy Hield and a middling first is certainly a much better return.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Boogie was a unique situation so I don't think you can compare it to others. You had an incompetent team (Kings), an owner who was obsessed with Buddy Hield, agents going around trying to kill his value, and Boogie is an enigma.

Earlier today Howard Beck said some teams wanted nothing to do with him because they don't trust him and others have said similar things this week. None of the good teams even made an offer for him. This could just be a salty GM but according to Beck, a GM of a playoff team told him he wouldn't have taken Boogie for free.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Boogie was a unique situation so I don't think you can compare it to others. You had an incompetent team (Kings), an owner who was obsessed with Buddy Hield, agents going around trying to kill his value, and Boogie is an enigma.

Earlier today Howard Beck said some teams wanted nothing to do with him because they don't trust him and others have said similar things this week. None of the good teams even made an offer for him. This could just be a salty GM but according to Beck, a GM of a playoff team told him he wouldn't have taken Boogie for free.

All fair points (though I don't believe a GM seriously would've turned down Boogie for free). But my only point was that a similar offer or a slightly better one would've likely landed George or Butler (and definitely Boogie). The Brooklyn pick has huge value for obvious reasons, Crowder is a solid starting SF on an extremely team-friendly contract, and Boston has a number of other assets outside of Bradley/Smart/Brown that would be of value to a team like Chicago or Indiana.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
All fair points (though I don't believe a GM seriously would've turned down Boogie for free). But my only point was that a similar offer or a slightly better one would've likely landed George or Butler (and definitely Boogie). The Brooklyn pick has huge value for obvious reasons, Crowder is a solid starting SF on an extremely team-friendly contract, and Boston has a number of other assets outside of Bradley/Smart/Brown that would be of value to a team like Chicago or Indiana.

No one seems to have a good handle on exactly what the ask was but it sounds like it had to be the Nets pick, Crowder, and one of Bradley/Smart/Brown.

Here's Zach Lowe's piece on the Celtics.....

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I can see why the Celtics didn't break the bank for George given all the LA chatter. Hard to say about Butler without knowing what the price was. Aldridge said Crowder was who the Bulls wanted but the C's wouldn't do it. Should've just got Cousins. Obviously it did not cost much.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I can see why the Celtics didn't break the bank for George given all the LA chatter. Hard to say about Butler without knowing what the price was. Aldridge said Crowder was who the Bulls wanted but the C's wouldn't do it. Should've just got Cousins. Obviously it did not cost much.

According to Sportsnet Chicago wanted 3 out of these 4 guys ( Bradley, Brown, Crowder and Smart ) plus this year's Brooklyn pick for Butler. If that's true then I'm glad Trader Danny stood pat. I still have hopes that the Brooklyn trade will eventually work out as well for the Celtics as the Hershel Walker trade did for the Dallas Cowboys. :nod:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Stein saying the Hawks offered more than three 1sts for PG and Butler. No core players.

That doesn't seem too appealing. You'd assume at least two of those 1sts would be in the 20's because the Hawks are good. The Pacers/Bulls would have to hope the Hawks go downhill after that and maybe they can take advantage but that's probably not for a few more years.

Same with the Nuggets offer. Stein said they made a "monster" offer for George but it didn't include Jokic and apparently Murray wasn't in it either. Of course the Pacers were going to turn it down. You're not getting George for some combination of Mudiay, Harris, Gallinari, Chandler, Faried, etc. They'd have the same problem as the Hawks with their 1sts too.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
That doesn't seem too appealing. You'd assume at least two of those 1sts would be in the 20's because the Hawks are good. The Pacers/Bulls would have to hope the Hawks go downhill after that and maybe they can take advantage but that's probably not for a few more years.

Same with the Nuggets offer. Stein said they made a "monster" offer for George but it didn't include Jokic and apparently Murray wasn't in it either. Of course the Pacers were going to turn it down. You're not getting George for some combination of Mudiay, Harris, Gallinari, Chandler, Faried, etc. They'd have the same problem as the Hawks with their 1sts too.
Yeah, I don't know how the Nuggets could have even made a "monster" offer without Murray AT LEAST. And he's not even great. But apparently a third team was involved.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Hey Spurs fan here

I don't think the SPurs have a lot of room to maneuver with and they are not known for making a big splashes at the deadline

In order to get you have to give

I'm ok with our current core; LMA and Pau just need to be more agressive on both ends

True! Spurs also don't really have the assets to pull something big.

Not only Gasol and Lamarcus, Parker too needs to be way more consistent if they want to compete. All three have been so frustrating this season..

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
True! Spurs also don't really have the assets to pull something big.

Not only Gasol and Lamarcus, Parker too needs to be way more consistent if they want to compete. All three have been so frustrating this season..
I think Gasol and LMA can flip the switch

Parker, I'm not so sure

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Stein saying the Hawks offered more than three 1sts for PG and Butler. No core players.

Lol just awful.

Towards the end of the trading day they apparently put it on the table but again they weren't offering any of their really good young guys aside from Crowder. Indian wanted Two of Brown/Bradley/Smart included.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
According to Sportsnet Chicago wanted 3 out of these 4 guys ( Bradley, Brown, Crowder and Smart ) plus this year's Brooklyn pick for Butler. If that's true then I'm glad Trader Danny stood pat. I still have hopes that the Brooklyn trade will eventually work out as well for the Celtics as the Hershel Walker trade did for the Dallas Cowboys. :nod:

While Jaylen Brown has potential, your hopes did not get off to a good start when they picked him third.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad